Congressional Oversight Panel

Zoom-boing

Platinum Member
Oct 30, 2008
East Japip
I saw this on CNN or FOX last night. They seem to want people's input and stories and questions. If anyone has anything to say, let 'em know!

"In response to the escalating crisis, on October 3, 2008, Congress provided the U.S. Treasury with the authority to spend $700 billion to stabilize the U.S. economy. Congress created the Office of Financial Stabilization (OFS) within Treasury to implement a Troubled Asset Relief Program (TARP). At the same time, Congress created a Congressional Oversight Panel (COP) to “review the current state of financial markets and the regulatory system.”

COP is empowered to hold hearings, review official data, and write reports on actions taken by Treasury and financial institutions and their effect on the economy.

Through regular reports, COP must:

Oversee Treasury’s actions
Assess the impact of spending to stabilize the economy
Evaluate market transparency,
Ensure effective foreclosure mitigation efforts
And guarantee that Treasury’s actions are in the best interest of the American people.
Lastly, Congress has instructed COP to produce a special report on regulatory reform that will analyze “the current state of the regulatory system and its effectiveness at overseeing the participants in the financial system and protecting consumers.”

I am going to pass this on to some others I know too. Thank you.

Forum List

Back