Congressional Legislation

shintao

Take Down ~ Tap Out
Aug 27, 2010
I guess 2/3rd votes in Congress occur, but how will this work for tax changes? Republicans would like a 2/3rd for taxes.

Last edited:
Yes.

Article I, Section 7.

My thought is we will be faced with grid lock unless there is 2/3rds agreement. I can understand something major like a Constitutional Amendment, but to raise or lower taxes? Not sure on that one. Thoughts

I guess 2/3rd votes in Congress occur, but how will this work for tax changes? Republicans would like a 2/3rd for taxes.

You fucker! You fucking fucker. You changed your OP. Your original blather asked if a super majority vote was Constitutional, and I said yes.

and you still make no sense.

Yes.

Article I, Section 7.

My thought is we will be faced with grid lock unless there is 2/3rds agreement. I can understand something major like a Constitutional Amendment, but to raise or lower taxes? Not sure on that one. Thoughts

In English?

What?

You can't filibuster a budget, but you can filibuster spending bill or a tax bill.

When the Obama- Bush cuts expire, they expire.

Obama's Tax Cut Deal: So Much For Deficit Reduction

You fucker! You fucking fucker. You changed your OP. Your original blather asked if a super majority vote was Constitutional, and I said yes.

and you still make no sense.

Well, my apologies CP. I went and looked it up and could see that it does happen, a silly question at that point, so I changed it. Chill girl. Hope you don't mind if I edited my own thread.

Yes.

Article I, Section 7.

In English?

What?

You can't filibuster a budget, but you can filibuster spending bill or a tax bill.

When the Obama- Bush cuts expire, they expire.

Obama's Tax Cut Deal: So Much For Deficit Reduction

This isn't about filibuster, but about if we need a 2/3rds majority to pass a tax bill.

Congress is so divided that with a just majority vote they accomplish very little. Make it a 2/3 vote and they just as well stay home.

You need sense. The retards want a super majority to raise taxes. I think the bar is to high to ever get 2/3rds to raise taxes. I see problems with that proposal.

Congress is so divided that with a just majority vote they accomplish very little. Make it a 2/3 vote and they just as well stay home.

That is what I see as well, and hey, maybe that is a good thing. Lock spending down and keep it that way.

Some states have a 2/3 law for tax increases.

On the federal level, the tax bills arise in the House. The Senate can amend. I was confused on what you were asking.

But my answer still stands about it being Constitutional.

A super-majority is power. What you are talking about (I think?) is cloture in the Senate - when they can move to stop the debate and come to a vote...? Yes?

Some votes are simple majority, some require super majority or 3/5ths. In order for a tax bill to be passed in this political climate, a supermajority would be needed.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back