Congressional immunity

Discussion in 'Politics' started by flaja, Nov 19, 2006.

1. flaja

flaja Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10
    The Constitution gives members of Congress immunity from lawsuits for anything they say in the course of congressional debate. One member of Congress can say anything he wants to about anyone and not be sued for slander. And by custom, the same goes for anything a politician says outside of Congress.

Would eliminating this immunity make politicians more civil towards each other? Would politicians be less likely to use inflammatory rhetoric (either in office, or while campaigning) if they knew their opponents could (and would) sue them for what they say or publish?

2. Hobbit

Hobbit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +421
    It's a fine line. At the very least, the burden of proof should be high to ensure politicians don't start suing each other left and right.

3. flaja

flaja Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hate filled rhetoric has been part and parcel of American politics since at least the time of John Adams and Thomas Jefferson. What we see today is likely tame in comparison.

But, if the threat of lawsuits will keep liberals from saying things like “Conservatives want to kill the old people by reforming Social Security”, I’m in favor of lawsuits.

4. Mr.Conley

Mr.Conley Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +116
    Too much potential danger. I'd much rather risk a cheapened dialogue then entertain the possibility of a tyrant someday imprisoning Congressmen for speech.

5. no1tovote4

no1tovote4 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +616
    I'd prefer to keep them immune, imagine a strong President arresting people for what they say on the Congressional floor...

6. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    Imagine all the concocted accusations and trivial lawsuits.

7. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,148
    I fear we may see that someday...

8. Jimmyeatworld

Jimmyeatworld Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +223
    Stuff like that is more about playing up to the extremists. I think most people hear things like that and meet it with a roll of the eyes and probably does more harm than good for the person saying it.

It's hard enough to get anything done in Washington as it is. Imagine having to wade through a series of lawsuits every time someone opened their mouth.

9. flaja

flaja Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10
    To my knowledge neither libel, nor slander, are criminal offenses. Any act of libel or slander can be punished only through a civil lawsuit.

Furthermore, members of Congress have immunity that is separate from acts of libel or slander:

U.S. Constitution Article I, Section 6
    …They shall in all Cases, except Treason, Felony and Breach of the Peace, be privileged from Arrest during their Attendance at the Session of their respective Houses, and in going to and returning from the same; and for any Speech or Debate in either House, they shall not be questioned in any other Place.

10. flaja

flaja Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10
    2006 is the first time in my 20 years as a voter that I did not cast a single vote. Between the primary and general elections I saw enough negative campaign ads that I did not feel comfortable voting- even for the lesser of two evils.

But, it wouldn’t take too many lawsuits for politicians to learn to refrain from saying or publishing any claim that they cannot prove in court.

BTW: I am not certain that I would want monetary punishments to be the result of lawsuits between politicians. If the libel or slander is proven to be true, then the politician that was libeled or slandered should never again be able to seek or hold public office. If the libel or slander is not proven to be true, then the politician who made the libel or slander should be barred from public office.