Congressional GOP's mass violations of their Oath of Office

There seems to be a distinct contradiction between the Congressional Oath of office and the fact that Congress People have taken the Norquist No-Tax Pledge:

First the Constitution states:

Article VI:
3: The Senators and Representatives ... shall be bound by Oath or Affirmation, to support this Constitution...

Second, the congressional Oath of Office States:
"I do solemnly swear (or affirm) ... that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter...

Third, the Constitution States:
Article XIV:
4: The validity of the public debt of the United States, authorized by law... shall not be questioned.

It seems obvious that by taking the "Norquist No-Tax Pledge", these congresspeople were lying when they swore "that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion"

Furthermore by refusing to increase the debt ceiling they are violating Article XIV sec. 4 and therfore violating their oath of office:
"I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office"

Don't believe me? (or just don't like what your reading), have a look here:

Judge H. Lee Sarokin: Does the Norquist No-Tax Pledge Violate the Congressional Oath of Office?

While the Constitution does not directly prescribe a method for removing Congress People, other than by the house itself, it does not exclude other methods either.

It would fall under the jurisdiction of the federal courts to determine removal from office for these violations:

Article III:
Section 2
1: The judicial Power shall extend to all Cases, in Law and Equity, arising under this Constitution, the Laws of the United States...

Time to get this wingnuts out of office!

Are you a complete idiot or do you just play one on the internet?

Give me a list of everyone who is questioning the validity of the debt.

Never mind, I have it right here.

Can you think of anyone else?

I didn't think so.

Last edited:
No, you’re quite correct.

Unfortunately some will argue the ‘Norquist No-Tax Pledge’ is mere political bombast and rhetoric – that it’s not a ‘real pledge’ and no conflict exists.

Why don't you give a detailed explanation of the conflict between the no tax pledge and the Constitution?

I didn't think so.

I don't see anywhere in the Constitution that obligates anyone to raise taxes.

Oh, Huffy-Puffy....That 'splains it. :rolleyes:

No, your right, there is nothing in the Constitution requiring that taxes be raised, but there is a requirement to pay the existing debt. That's what this discussion is about.

Yes there is. When are the Democrats planning to start on that?

I don't see anywhere in the Constitution that obligates anyone to raise taxes.

Oh, Huffy-Puffy....That 'splains it. :rolleyes:

No, your right, there is nothing in the Constitution requiring that taxes be raised, but there is a requirement to pay the existing debt. That's what this discussion is about.

this
Article XIV:
4: The validity of the public debt of the United States, authorized by law... shall not be questioned.

Does not say the Government can not default on payments. It says the VALIDITY of the Debt can not be questioned. No one can deny we owe the money. Congress is not obliged to raise the debt ceiling. No where in the Constitution does it require that, nor in fact does it require the Government to PAY the debt, just that they can not say they do not owe it. Failure to pay is not declaring we do not owe it.

And besides we take in enough each month to actually pay the debt with OUT defaulting. Congress and the President chose to spend it on other things.

So far they have repeat refused to pay the debts, and threaten to continue that way. That IS a violation of the Constitution.

Richard H
Where do you get the idea that they have repeatedly refused to pay the the debts?
That is and always has been paid and will continue to be paid. They have all said that that we have the money to pay the debt and then the rest needs to be prioritized and cuts made.

Last edited:
Well, good night all!

I'm surprised that there are so many of you that apparently do not think that Congress People should live up to their oath of office nor respect the Constitution.

Just a big political game, huh?
There ya go....
Run and hide rather than answer, what should be (given your constitutional expertise), a simple question.
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
What constitutional duties are congress members failing to uphold?

Where is it written that it is their duty to raise the debt ceiling?
For that matter, where is it written that it's their duty to borrow money from foreign countries??

:eusa_whistle:

There seems to be a distinct contradiction between the Congressional Oath of office and the fact that Congress People have taken the Norquist No-Tax Pledge:

First the Constitution states:

Article VI:
3: The Senators and Representatives ... shall be bound by Oath or Affirmation, to support this Constitution...

Second, the congressional Oath of Office States:
"I do solemnly swear (or affirm) ... that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter...

Article XIV:

It seems obvious that by taking the "Norquist No-Tax Pledge", these congresspeople were lying when they swore "that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion"

Furthermore by refusing to increase the debt ceiling they are violating Article XIV sec. 4 and therfore violating their oath of office:
"I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office"

Judge H. Lee Sarokin: Does the Norquist No-Tax Pledge Violate the Congressional Oath of Office?

While the Constitution does not directly prescribe a method for removing Congress People, other than by the house itself, it does not exclude other methods either.

It would fall under the jurisdiction of the federal courts to determine removal from office for these violations:

Article III:
Section 2
1: The judicial Power shall extend to all Cases, in Law and Equity, arising under this Constitution, the Laws of the United States...

Time to get this wingnuts out of office!

It bothers the crap out of me that anyone in congress would sign a pledge to anything. People in Congress have should have pledges to 2 things only..uphold and defend the Constitution first..and represent their constituents second.

Well, good night all!

I'm surprised that there are so many of you that apparently do not think that Congress People should live up to their oath of office nor respect the Constitution.

There ya go....
Run and hide rather than answer, what should be (given your constitutional expertise), a simple question.
What constitutional duties are congress members failing to uphold?

Where is it written that it is their duty to raise the debt ceiling?
For that matter, where is it written that it's their duty to borrow money from foreign countries??

I'll help you out here.

Section 8 - Powers of Congress

The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States; but all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform throughout the United States;

To borrow money on the credit of the United States;

Your turn.

Where the fuck is the debt ceiling in the Constitution?

Eh?

Well, good night all!

There ya go....

I'll help you out here.

The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States; but all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform throughout the United States;

Your turn.

Eh?

Thank you.
That's all I was asking for, was an answer.

I grow weary of some of the constitution thumping TP'ers that fly off half-cocked, now knowing what section of the constitution they're crying about.

If I didn't know the answer to the first question, I'm not going to be able to help with your question :D

I'm guessing there is no constitutional authority for a ceiling on our debt.
That's not saying that we shouldn't have a credit limit, either.

These people were elected by their constituents to tell the government to stop the nutcase spending spree.

Which seems to trump the Constitution.

You guys need to get your story straight.

It is specific to Civil War debts the Fourteenth Amendment is about slavery and the war. The debts were those owed to soldiers and widows. Also, they were concerned about reparations to slaves. This amendment was to clarify all these issues. Now some dimwitted people want to see it as something else and use it to violate other parts of the Constitution. They even choose to ignore part five of this very section and give the President some nonexistent right.

Well, good night all!

There ya go....

I'll help you out here.

Your turn.

Eh?

Right here in your own post.

Congress must pass legislation to raise the debt. Pretty simple concept, even an 8 year old could probably grasp it.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back