Congress versus a Term limit?

Congress ever approve an Amendment for Term limits?

• Never

Votes: 9 60.0%
  • Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • We could force them.

Votes: 6 40.0%

• Total voters
Who thinks Congress would ever pass to the States an Amendment about term limits FOR Congress?

not a chance in hell, though it needs to be done....

I'd prefer public financing of elections. Term limits doesn't end the selling of votes, it just adds more newbies to the mix. I also have a problem with being told who I'm allowed to vote for.

Funny. you can always find extreme examples in the democrat party whether it's term limits or sexual abuse. Every president up to FDR bowed out after two terms but he forced Americans to pass a term limit after running for four terms.

If we are to the point that we must restrict the people's auhtority to select their representative by limiting their terms then we should just end the expiriment right now and go to some kind of quasi-monarchy/oligarchy because there is no hope for the electorate.

Mike

"Congressmen and Diapers both need to be changed quickly and often, and both for the same reason"

The reason term limits are needed is most corrupt politicians are often with more than 2 terms of tenure. The more terms in office, the more votes being bought, and the more corruption seems to build.

Funny. you can always find extreme examples in the democrat party whether it's term limits or sexual abuse. Every president up to FDR bowed out after two terms but he forced Americans to pass a term limit after running for four terms.

He didn't force anything. That was solely the Republicans whining about losing four times in a row. What were they afraid of? He'd already died, so there wasn't going to be a fifth term or a President-for-Life deal.

"Congressmen and Diapers both need to be changed quickly and often, and both for the same reason"

The reason term limits are needed is most corrupt politicians are often with more than 2 terms of tenure. The more terms in office, the more votes being bought, and the more corruption seems to build.

Take the money out of running for office there goes most of the corruption. I don't like the idea of someone telling me who I'm allowed to vote for. I can't believe the CONS would accept that, but whine about what lightbulbs they're allowed to buy!!!

Why would anyone who possesses power support a bill that would make them give up that power?

What difference do you people think term limits would really make, apart from restricting the right of the people to choose whom they want representing their interests in Congress?

What difference do you people think term limits would really make, apart from restricting the right of the people to choose whom they want representing their interests in Congress?

You're right, it's really about the money and how it distorts the political arena. Are those with more money to throw around more worthy or just protecting what they have to keep others from achieving their level?

It's more likely that congressional term limits would exacerbate political corruption rather than stifle it as some naively assume. Knowing that you only have a few terms would increase the urgency with which one goes about lining one's pockets and securing post-congress private sector employment.

I don't believe in term limits at any level. The 22nd Amendment should be done away with.

I think the voter should set the term limit, not the Congress.

And I think precinct chairmen who "find" votes after the count should be automatically hung by the neck until dead, dead, dead.

I'm sick of 'em taking their preferences over the people who honestly voted.

It's a bad idea. It puts more power into the hands of lobbyists and other unelected charlatans.

Instead, they should stop all this idiotic gerrymandering. Social engineering and political parties drawing boundaries to entrench themselves are bad for democracy.

I think the voter should set the term limit, not the Congress.

The funny thing is that the voter CAN set the term limit. Honestly, if you have a bad representative and you continue to elect them, you get what you voted for... touch @#^@.

Mike

The funny thing is that the voter CAN set the term limit. Honestly, if you have a bad representative and you continue to elect them, you get what you voted for... touch @#^@.

The problem is all other representatives are ‘bad’ except one’s own.

But agreed: amending the Constitution to limit congressional terms is a bad idea, it’s incumbent upon the voters to compel members of Congress to do their jobs.

Forum List

Back