Congress unites over BEER bill

Shadow

Silver Member
Aug 16, 2008
Land Of Enchantment
NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- Lawmakers can't agree on anything except ... beer.

That's right. Earlier this week, a Democrat joined with a Republican to introduce legislation in the Senate that would lower excise taxes on small breweries.

Snip...

The bill is called the Brewer's Employment and Excise Relief -- or BEER -- Act. Sens. John Kerry of Massachusetts and Mike Crapo of Idaho introduced the measure, and were joined by eight Republicans and nine Democrats who signed on as co-sponsors.

Congress unites over BEER bill - Mar. 11, 2011

Small businesses can't afford the tax bill that large businesses can. So reducing taxes has the effect of increasing competition.

You see how much better it is that there are numerous breweries? Better selection and quality. If there were only one brewery allowed to operate and distribute, the beer would more than likely taste like shit. (Just for the record I rarely drink)

Governments should encourage competition and discourage monopolies through legislation no matter what the product or service.

• Banned
Small businesses can't afford the tax bill that large businesses can. So reducing taxes has the effect of increasing competition.

You see how much better it is that there are numerous breweries? Better selection and quality. If there were only one brewery allowed to operate and distribute, the beer would more than likely taste like shit. (Just for the record I rarely drink)

Governments should encourage competition and discourage monopolies through legislation no matter what the product or service.

Especially considering they also have to deal with state taxes and regulations. I have noticed that I have seen more locally owned micro breweries and beer pubs around lately.

I agree competition is a good thing.

king-of-the-hill-beer.jpg

While I am always in favor of allowing Americans to keep more of their own money to use as they see fit--I think people will usually spend it more wisely than government will spend it on their behalf--I disapprove of imposing taxes on one group while exempting another just to make it 'fair'. By all means lower taxes, but lower them on everybody, not just a special interest group.

The less money Congress has to spend, the less it has to waste on a whole lot of stupid stuff.

• Banned
Beer --- it's not just for breakfast anymore!

No it's not, infact I was recently at 5 Star Burgers and their bar special was..Beer Floats. Sounded kind of gross to me,but apparently people like them. I was told the most popular where made with vanilla or chocolate icecream. But apparently some people do request other flavors like peach,strawberry or raspberry.

While I am always in favor of allowing Americans to keep more of their own money to use as they see fit--I think people will usually spend it more wisely than government will spend it on their behalf--I disapprove of imposing taxes on one group while exempting another just to make it 'fair'. By all means lower taxes, but lower them on everybody, not just a special interest group.

The less money Congress has to spend, the less it has to waste on a whole lot of stupid stuff.

Yep.

You can thank Carter for that one.

What do you have to do with democrats, hit them in the head with a beer keg? Decrease the tax on all small businesses and....maybe....they....will get bigger.

Forum List

Back