Congress To Aid Lakewood Yeshiva

freeandfun1

VIP Member
Feb 14, 2004
Congress To Aid Lakewood Yeshiva

Congress is set to allocate $500,000 to Beth Medrash Govoha, known as the Lakewood yeshiva, for the establishment of a "Holocaust library."

The grant was included in the 2004 Omnibus Appropriation Conference Agreement that is expected to be signed by President Bush later this month. According to congressional staffers, New Jersey's two senators, Democrats Jon Corzine and Frank Lautenberg, inserted the money into the bill after being lobbied by Rabbi Aharon Kotler, brother of the yeshiva's foremost religious leader, Rabbi Aryeh Malkiel Kotler.

I thought we had something in this country called "separation of Church and State"? If so, why are the feds giving money to a religious organization? I thought this had been ruled unconstitutional? I guess it is only unconstitutional for the feds to give money to Christian organizations.....

I have a feeling that $500,000 pales in comparison to the amount of money that is given to Christian churches, if in the tax breaks alone.

Besides, the Holocaust was less a religious thing and more a historical event anyway. I wouldn't be too surprised if any identifiable ethnic group could get government money for historical or educational exhibits. It would be one thing if they wanted the money to build a synagogue but this sounds more like a museum of sorts.

HorhayAtAMD said:
I have a feeling that $500,000 pales in comparison to the amount of money that is given to Christian churches, if in the tax breaks alone.

Besides, the Holocaust was less a religious thing and more a historical event anyway. I wouldn't be too surprised if any identifiable ethnic group could get government money for historical or educational exhibits. It would be one thing if they wanted the money to build a synagogue but this sounds more like a museum of sorts.

reglardless of how much has been given in the past, if there is a separation, there is a separation. Right? Otherwise, you are opening a pandora's box you won't like.

The money is going to a religious organization period. History does not matter remember? Last year the Federal courts ruled that the government nor the state of California could provide money for the refurbishment of historical mission in California. Missions that are an integral part of AMERICAN history in regards to the FOUNDATION of this great country. The holocaust, while being part of our history - and only from a tertiary point of view - has NOTHING to do with our foundation as a nation. There is a HUGE difference. The only reason they are being given money is because they are Jews. Isn't that right? So that means we are giving it to them in a religious context. That violates the separation of Church and State for sure.

freeandfun1 said:
reglardless of how much has been given in the past, if there is a separation, there is a separation. Right? Otherwise, you are opening a pandora's box you won't like.

The money is going to a religious organization period. History does not matter remember? Last year the Federal courts ruled that the government nor the state of California could provide money for the refurbishment of historical mission in California. Missions that are an integral part of AMERICAN history in regards to the FOUNDATION of this great country. The holocaust, while being part of our history - and only from a tertiary point of view - has NOTHING to do with our foundation as a nation. There is a HUGE difference. The only reason they are being given money is because they are Jews. Isn't that right? So that means we are giving it to them in a religious context. That violates the separation of Church and State for sure.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

I think you are really comparing apples and oranges here. If the money was going towards rebuilding a synagogue but was refused for rebuilding a church, you would have a great point and I would stand by you in proclaiming how unfair it was. However, I will respectfully disagree with your assertion that a Holocaust library is the same as a church. I probably wouldn't disagree with you if you said that truly historical churches should get government funding for restoration but that really has nothing to do with the article you posted.

HorhayAtAMD said:
I think you are really comparing apples and oranges here. If the money was going towards rebuilding a synagogue but was refused for rebuilding a church, you would have a great point and I would stand by you in proclaiming how unfair it was. However, I will respectfully disagree with your assertion that a Holocaust library is the same as a church. I probably wouldn't disagree with you if you said that truly historical churches should get government funding for restoration but that really has nothing to do with the article you posted.

I was talking about a historical context.

But anyway. how is this at all right? The money is going to a religious organization to build a museum. I could understand if the money were going to a secular group to build a museum, but this is going to a religious group.

So I am not at all comparing apples to oranges.

freeandfun1 said:
I could understand if the money were going to a secular group to build a museum, but this is going to a religious group.
Who says religious groups can't undertake non-religious tasks? The United Way was started by a religious group, is not taxed (in essence, this is government funding), and performs wonderful non-denominational charity work all around the world. Don't confuse the people doing the work with the work being done.

HorhayAtAMD said:
Who says religious groups can't undertake non-religious tasks? The United Way was started by a religious group, is not taxed (in essence, this is government funding), and performs wonderful non-denominational charity work all around the world. Don't confuse the people doing the work with the work being done.

lmfao..... you're pretty good at avoiding the issue and trying to deflect.

but it ain't working. this is a double standard. period.

Forum List

Back