Congress Speaks At 10th Grade Level, Study Says

Political Junky

Gold Member
May 27, 2009
Sunlight Foundation study: Congress speaking at a lower grade level | TPMDC

Members of Congress aren’t sounding any smarter. In fact, the 112th Congress speaks collectively at a 10th grade level, down from that of a high school junior in 2005, according to a Sunlight Foundation study released this week.

Congress’ conservative members speak, on average, at the lowest grade level. Moderates from both parties tend to speak at the highest level. But collectively, the legislative body speaks at a higher level than the average American, who reads at between an 8th and 9th grade level.
<more>

Stupidity isn't limited to a Political Party.

Help me out here: Who was the Congressman who said Marines couldn't be transferred from Okinawa to Guam because that may cause the island to "tip over"?

I HAVE noticed that intelligence IS lacking among those who think Gov't is there to help them.

If Congress didn't speak at a 10th grade level how ever would they communicate with the very people who would elect them?

Help me out here: Who was the Congressman who said Marines couldn't be transferred from Okinawa to Guam because that may cause the island to "tip over"?

I HAVE noticed that intelligence IS lacking among those who think Gov't is there to help them.

Since Okinawa is more than twice the size of Guam it's not too hard to understand the comment as a hyberbole; only concrete 'thinkers' would suppose otherwise.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCqQRflUWd4]Learn to Speak Tea Bag - YouTube[/ame]

Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee (D) while watching a live feed of the Mars Rover:
"Can you drive that over to where we planted the flag?"

5th Grade indeed! :lol:

Hank Johnson.

When I have gone to hear congresspersons speaking in business forums, in legal seminars, and to specific-interest audiences, I have always found that they speak appropriately for the audience. Many times I had the thought that if they spoke this way on the campaign trail they would be castigated as being "elitist," or some such nonsense.

It is a valuable skill to be able to articulate complex and sometimes troublesome topics in a way that an unsophisticated audience can understand them. The fact that congresspersons speak at a low level in public is not a legitimate criticism.

Tea baggers.

Keep your damned government hands off my medicare

Since I was required by the government to pay 1.45% of my wages and my employer paid 1.45% as well for Medicare insurance, you can bet they better keep their hands off of it.

You pay the premium, you get to collect on the terms in the policy. That is the way insurance works.

You know who CAN'T speak at a 10th grade level in American? 10th graders!

Forum List

Back