Congress set to vote about Puerto Rico Statehood

House Vote On Puerto Rico's Future Divides Hispanic Lawmakers - FOXBusiness.com

Looks like the House is planning to vote on a resolution on whether Puerto Rico will have a vote on becoming the 51 state. The vote is happening on Thursday.

I think we should be welcoming more States in the Union if they choose. But something is fishy about the timing. Not exactly sure what but it just feels off. They have more important things to be focusing on.
If you followed PR politics you'd find this issue comes up on a regular basis.

What's interesting is why you object.

Wow Ravi! We agree!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I wonder how the Flag would look like Adding one more Star..

But yes, I'd welcome a new state..

fishy? like what?
Good question. 51 stars would look weird. We might end up with a totally new design. I suspect lobbying by flag makers.

I think we should be welcoming more States in the Union if they choose. ............

Why praytell? Just what would a shithole like PR add to the USA beyond two more communist Senators and five or so communist members of the House?

Just declare then independent and end the drain on the USA taxpayer.

Oh, I think they'd probably add as much as Alabama, or Arkansas, or even Alaska.

I have a thought here, how many states in the U.S. can you visit at the moment where the native language of the state is English? Answer; all of them. If P.R. statehood were to become a reality it would be the only non-english speaking state in the United States, not that it matters much however because P.R. has a proud history of declining such measures in favor of its own identity. Thats the key here, is P.R. willing to give up a LOT of its own identity in favor of becoming the 51st state in order to make the DNC happy? Lets face it here, this issue has little if anything to do with actually wanting P.R. to become the 51st state a whole lot to do with political power in Washington D.C. and who has it. These issues of statehood for P.R. and DC should they become a reality serve to show that Washington has little interest in actually working on fixing the issues that need to be fixed and a whole lot of interest on keeping and holding power. In the new spirit of statehood, I am going to wrtie a letter to Gov. Perry of Tx. and suggest he exercise the 1845 Joint Resolution of congress and allow Tx. to divide into 5 states making it 52,53,54,55,56.

I have a thought here, how many states in the U.S. can you visit at the moment where the native language of the state is English? Answer; all of them. If P.R. statehood were to become a reality it would be the only non-english speaking state in the United States, not that it matters much however because P.R. has a proud history of declining such measures in favor of its own identity. Thats the key here, is P.R. willing to give up a LOT of its own identity in favor of becoming the 51st state in order to make the DNC happy? Lets face it here, this issue has little if anything to do with actually wanting P.R. to become the 51st state a whole lot to do with political power in Washington D.C. and who has it. These issues of statehood for P.R. and DC should they become a reality serve to show that Washington has little interest in actually working on fixing the issues that need to be fixed and a whole lot of interest on keeping and holding power. In the new spirit of statehood, I am going to wrtie a letter to Gov. Perry of Tx. and suggest he exercise the 1845 Joint Resolution of congress and allow Tx. to divide into 5 states making it 52,53,54,55,56.
Why in particular would it matter what the native language of a state is?

I guess you didn't read what I said, " not that it maters much" however ir does matter a lot to those in P.R. and here. So much so that Members in congress actually voted on the issue.

I think we should be welcoming more States in the Union if they choose. ............

Why praytell? Just what would a shithole like PR add to the USA beyond two more communist Senators and five or so communist members of the House?

Just declare then independent and end the drain on the USA taxpayer.

Oh, I think they'd probably add as much as Alabama, or Arkansas, or even Alaska.

At least folk pay their own way and speak English......and breed fewer criminals

What feels off is the fact Puerto Ricans do NOT want statehood and repeatedly and consistently voted against it for themselves.

If the people of any US territory are not ready to fully and wholeheartedly embrace what it really means to be a state of this Union, fully accept that it also carries heavy responsibilities and that it is not just a one way street of increased benefits flowing their way -then it should never become a state. Puerto Rico is definitely NOT ready for statehood because Puerto Ricans don't even want it in the first place.

Why would they want it? The current system gives them most of the benefits, but none of the responsibilities.

Forum List

Back