Congress Rating Plunge

A survey of 1,016 adults taken July 10-13 found that 14% approve of the job Congress is doing. That's half President Bush's record low 28% job approval number, and the lowest congressional rating since Gallup first began asking the question in 1974.

Congress ratings plunge in poll - USATODAY.com

Good Job!

I just noted this poll is a year old.

While current numbers are still low, why post a year-old link?

I hope, for the sake of the congress' reputation, she does lose her job as speaker.

Not that anything can save congress from itself at this point.

She is.

I may be an anonymous participant on a middling Internet forum, but you can trust me on this.

Pelosi's reign of incompetence and ultra-partisan hackery is just about done...

The ratings are low because Congress will not pass needed legislation.

Pass health care reform, and the approval ratings will skyrocket for Congress.

The ratings are low because Congress will not pass needed legislation.

Pass health care reform, and the approval ratings will skyrocket for Congress.

I disagree, i think the numbers are low because of the type of reform they just tried to pass.

Pass much smaller reforms one at a time...say at least 1 a year for the next 4-8 years and their ratings, along with Obama's will skyrocket.

Take on tort reform this year
Take on insurance reform (including pre-existing condition issues) next year
Take on something else the year after
And so on.....oh and freaking FUND it without defecit spending. (The first two i listed tort/insurance reforms would cost the taxpayers basically nothing as far as govt spending is concerned.)

none of this 1100 page monstrosity....give us a bill that not only the people, but the congress and president truly can comprehend.

Last edited:
A survey of 1,016 adults taken July 10-13 found that 14% approve of the job Congress is doing. That's half President Bush's record low 28% job approval number, and the lowest congressional rating since Gallup first began asking the question in 1974.

Good Job!

I just noted this poll is a year old.

While current numbers are still low, why post a year-old link?

You're right, the posted story is from 7/16/2008

Current poll numbers are 29%.

I think the motivation for posting a year-old link in this case is quite obvious, don't you?

14%

I knew it was bad - but that is BAD.

Well done Ried and Pelosi!

Again, what does Pelosi care about national ratings? Her constituency is almost sure to vote her in again for another term.

As long as the people of her district approve of the job she's doing, you and Glenn Beck can screw off as far as she's concerned.

Thanks for that.

Pelosi is losing her leadership position by the way...

Says whom? FoxNews?

depends on what time frame you select as to whether congressional approval rating is "plunging" or "rising" The current 29/60 approve/disapprove is a lot better than it was in january 18.4/73.4. and worlds better thanm it was in October of 2008 14.3/75.
But they did manage a 37/52 in March. So yeah, it's down from that.

Unfortunatley, I feel congress is beholding to special interests and the money more than they are to their constituents. Politics is now a business of re elections, and the money it takes to get re elected. Until this changes, I don't think their approval will get out of the poor ratings. just sayin...

Good Job!

Why are you using a poll from 7/16/2008 right now? You DO realize it is 2009, right?
ROFLMAO
OH SHIT

good catch

I say if you're an incumbent, no matter what political party, you need to be voted out of office. Time for some fresh blood, new names and new ideas. Maybe we could get a crop of Congressmen who would like to listen to the citizens of the country. We could start cleaning out the deadbeats with Pelosi.

I say if you're an incumbent, no matter what political party, you need to be voted out of office. Time for some fresh blood, new names and new ideas. Maybe we could get a crop of Congressmen who would like to listen to the citizens of the country. We could start cleaning out the deadbeats with Pelosi.

Then vote out yours - you don't get a vote for other people's representative. If THEY are unhappy THEY will vote them out.

See, but here's the problem.

The current crop of politicians ran on a platform that had a public health care option as one of it's top priorities.

And, in general, they won by wide margins, especialy the president, who won by a 7.2% margin and had been talking about public health care, prominently, throughout his campaign.

So, the are in fact "listening to the citizens of this country". The citizens of this country voted for exactly what they're trying to push through.

However, after a long media campaign of spreading false information, the people of this country are, at the moment, sour on the idea.

But none of what we've said here changes the fact that the point of this entire thread is based on a lie.

So, I for one am now going to stop posting here.

Congress has not accomplished anything in the last 10 years. It lacks leadership in both parties. Its primary focus is on partisanship rather than getting the job done. There used to be leaders in Congress who could go into a back room and pound out a deal that worked for both parties. Now it is all about posturing for the cameras and biting off your nose to spite your face.

Well said. One rule of success for a team is that you can accomplish alomost anything if you don't care who gets the credit.

Is there even one member of Congress that comes to mind when you think of this?

Forum List

Back