Congress overturns incandescent light bulb ban

Congress overturns incandescent light bulb ban - Washington Times

Good deal! It's a start.

We need to vote in a lot more conservatives before we can undo all the destructive Democrat policies of the last (almost) six years.

It was a backdoor moment up here. You have to slide around enviro whackos.

And don't get me wrong you libs. I'm a Ducks Unlimited conservationist kinda person. What we did is we got mercury banned as an enviromental hazard. The CFL's got this time a pass, but barely.

But I can work this. It's a start.

You do realize that there is only 2-4 mg of mercury in a CFL, right?

You do realize that all but 11% of that 2-4 mg gets permanently bonded to the glass on the inside of the bulb, right?

Then you must also realize that in the generation of electricity, there is Mercury dispersed into the air that comes back to the ground, and that because of generating LESS energy by using CFL's instead of incandescent light bulbs, that you end up with an overall savings of 5mg of mercury/light bulb by using CFL's.

Do the research... it's out there on the web.

Good deal! It's a start.

We need to vote in a lot more conservatives before we can undo all the destructive Democrat policies of the last (almost) six years.

And don't get me wrong you libs. I'm a Ducks Unlimited conservationist kinda person. What we did is we got mercury banned as an enviromental hazard. The CFL's got this time a pass, but barely.

You do realize that all but 11% of that 2-4 mg gets permanently bonded to the glass on the inside of the bulb, right?

Then you must also realize that in the generation of electricity, there is Mercury dispersed into the air that comes back to the ground, and that because of generating LESS energy by using CFL's instead of incandescent light bulbs, that you end up with an overall savings of 5mg of mercury/light bulb by using CFL's.

Of course, you could just bypass all that stuff and go to LED's.

Where the heck do you get these pictures. Holy geeze that one is hysterical!

Sorries, nothing to do with topic but thats freaking funny.

Thank you, I still have a few to go. :D

OMG I've got to keep a heads up. Too freaking funny. I'm still lmao over the kid in the bottom drawer.

Keep going and I'll now really watch for you.

My son did the same thing at that age. When you hear stories of children wearing out the fridge door. THERE TRUE!!:lol:

This is big.....I mean BIG

After being accused of being a do nothing Congress, the Republicans pull off a major victory in protecting our rights to purchase obsolete lightbulbs

The Tea Party must be proud

Absolutely... and when they reach the right price point... I will.

I'll give you this, 15 dollars for a bulb seems a bit much, but I did throw out an offer to do the math on how much you would save from using a single bulb compared to the same equivalent incandescent.

LOL>... down with lightbulb tyranny!!!

What power source are you typing from?

Are you solar or wind? I'm from a renewable.

You?

2,500 watt solar panel.

What does that get you in your house?

I've gone primal in my time which means nothing is on. Nothing. Radio with batteries to hear anything. But apart from that NOTHING.

Do you get that? Do you understand what that means? I lived that for years. I can do it again. I can live with that. Can you?

So what does your 2500 get you? I'm really curious because my neighbors who really tried solar had to bail because the expected too much I think.

Not being a smart ass here. I'm a serious conservationist.

I'll give you this, 15 dollars for a bulb seems a bit much, but I did throw out an offer to do the math on how much you would save from using a single bulb compared to the same equivalent incandescent.

well throw out the offer in regards to CFL's... because that's what we use throughout our house. That's what I mean... when LED's get to approximately the same price point as when we switched over to CFL, I'll do it. I never paid $15 for a CFL. The most I ever paid/ bulb was maybe $6 or so... and now they are much cheaper than that.

They'll come down and when they do, I'll make the switch.

Good deal! It's a start.

if these things are so good and the amount of mercury inside them not a hazard then why the lengthy procedure to handle and dispose as well as clean up of broken CFL's?
of properly (see below).
What should I do with a CFL when it burns out?
EPA recommends that consumers take advantage of available local recycling options for compact fluorescent
light bulbs. EPA is working with CFL manufacturers and major U.S. retailers to expand recycling and disposal
options. Consumers can contact their local municipal solid waste agency directly, or go to
epa.gov/cfl/cflrecycling.html or Earth911.com - Find Recycling Centers and Learn How To Recycle to identify local recycling options.
If your state or local environmental regulatory agency permits you to put used or broken CFLs in the garbage,
seal the bulb in two plastic bags and put it into the outside trash, or other protected outside location, for the next
scheduled trash collection. Never send a fluorescent light bulb or any other mercury-containing product to an
incinerator.

If your ENERGY STAR qualified CFL product burns out before it should, look at the CFL base to find the
manufacturer’s name. Visit the manufacturer’s web site to find the customer service contact information to inquire
about a refund or replacement. Manufacturers producing ENERGY STAR qualified CFLs are required to offer at
least a two-year limited warranty (covering manufacturer defects) for CFLs used at home. In the future, save your
receipts to document the date of purchase.
How should I clean up a broken fluorescent bulb? 5
Fluorescent light bulbs contain a small amount of mercury sealed within the glass tubing. When a fluorescent bulb
breaks in your home, some of this mercury is released as mercury vapor. To minimize exposure to mercury
vapor, EPA recommends that residents follow cleanup and disposal steps. A cleanup overview is described
below; please visit epa.gov/cfl/cflcleanup.html for more information.

. Finally, this is a living
document and may be revised periodically without public notice. EPA welcomes comments on this document at any time and will consider those
comments in any future revisions of this document.
Source: U.S. EPA 2005 National Emissions Inventory.
Read this ..Cleaning Up a Broken Compact Fluorescent Light Bulb (CFL) | Compact Fluorescent Light Bulbs (CFLs) | US EPA.
Really? You are in support of this nonsense?

What power source are you typing from?

Are you solar or wind? I'm from a renewable.

You?

2,500 watt solar panel.

What does that get you in your house?

I've gone primal in my time which means nothing is on. Nothing. Radio with batteries to hear anything. But apart from that NOTHING.

Do you get that? Do you understand what that means? I lived that for years. I can do it again. I can live with that. Can you?

So what does your 2500 get you? I'm really curious because my neighbors who really tried solar had to bail because the expected too much I think.

Not being a smart ass here. I'm a serious conservationist.

2,500 is enough to power the fridge permanently, keep my computer on for 15 hours at a time and use a microwave for a few minutes. It cuts energy cost by about 75 dollars a month. It runs on a solar panel that charges a battery. I use LED lighting which requires nothing from the system and gives me the same light as any normal house would get from CFL's or incandescents.

Again, I live in Southern California. Solar power is NOT (I repeat NOT) for everyone.

Last edited:
Thread title is misleading.

Let There Be Incandescent Light! Bulb Ban Delayed! - Hit & Run : Reason Magazine
The massive, 1,200-page omnibus spending bill being rushed through Congress to avoid a government shutdown include at least one small bit of good news: It suspends the energy regulations signed by George W. Bush in 2007 that would have effectively banned 100-watt incandescent light bulbs as of January 1, 2011.

Reports the Wash Times, "The spending bill doesn’t actually amend the 2007 law, but does prohibit the administration from spending any money to carry out the light bulb standards — which amounts to at least a temporary reprieve."

That means the regs will likely go into effect next fiscal year, which starts in October 2012.
It's a delay, not an overturn.

Big Government should ban that bad ole Sun. It definitely uses too much energy and it's melting shit all the time. What about them Polar Icecaps? What did they ever do to anyone? Yea,something has to be done with the Sun. It's time for Big Government to act.

obama had already issued an executive order to shut down the sun every evening.

I switched to those new bulbs, and they work quite well.

The Republicans are always trying to make sure the extraction companies make as much money as possible.

Forum List

Back