Congress looks at doing away with the $1 bill

I like the idea of a dollar coin. When I was in Europe I saw the sensibility of such coins.

I agree the closeness of the current dollar to the size of a quarter is stupid.

So here is a compromise that I think is ideal.

Keep the dollar coin the same size and...put a hole in the center.

Mo' savings!

1zge2hj.jpg

Great! I could drill a hole in a Levi's jean button and pass it off as dollar!:D

American consumers have shown about as much appetite for the $1 coin as kids do their spinach. They may not know what's best for them either. Congressional auditors say doing away with dollar bills entirely and replacing them with dollar coins could save taxpayers some $4.4 billion over the next 30 years.

Vending machine operators have long championed the use of $1 coins because they don't jam the machines, cutting down on repair costs and lost sales. But most people don't seem to like carrying them. In the past five years, the U.S. Mint has produced 2.4 billion Presidential $1 coins. Most are stored by the Federal Reserve, and production was suspended about a year ago.

The latest projection from the Government Accountability Office on the potential savings from switching to dollar coins entirely comes as lawmakers begin exploring new ways for the government to save money by changing the money itself.

The Mint is preparing a report for Congress showing how changes in the metal content of coins could save money.

Congress looks at doing away with the $1 bill - Yahoo! News

:lmao:

like the current coin dollar we have is going over well..... The only reason i think they are ever used...is at the post office so they can give you change in the stamp machines.

I like the idea of a dollar coin. When I was in Europe I saw the sensibility of such coins.

Keep the dollar coin the same size and...put a hole in the center.

Mo' savings!

1zge2hj.jpg

Great! I could drill a hole in a Levi's jean button and pass it off as dollar!:D

Don't get caught with your pants down. :badgrin:

The copper in pre-1982 pennies is. They're worth about 2 cents a piece.

I think the caveat is that it's illegal to melt down coins.

:lol: I'm sure the SS and Mint agents are just lining up ready for urban warfare to track down penny melters.

Not to mention, it's not necessarily about melting it down. No one melts down Roosevelt dimes and Kennedy quarters, they just trade them.

There's plenty of people who buy cooper pennies.

The Mint is preparing a report for Congress showing how changes in the metal content of coins could save money.

The irony is so delicious and thick it's actually sad.

Isn't the life of a dollar bill like 18 months (on average)? I always wondered why that was considered sustainable.

Seems like a good idea, I am sure some would like to argue our "fiat" currency situation, however that is a moot point as it ain't going away anytime soon.

If they do prove that stamping 1$ coins would be more efficient then I am all for it.

I think the caveat is that it's illegal to melt down coins.

:lol: I'm sure the SS and Mint agents are just lining up ready for urban warfare to track down penny melters.

Not to mention, it's not necessarily about melting it down. No one melts down Roosevelt dimes and Kennedy quarters, they just trade them.

There's plenty of people who buy cooper pennies.

Yep, big gains for Numismatics these days.

The irony is so delicious and thick it's actually sad.

It should have been obvious enough when they stopped using silver and copper.

I mean that doesn't remind me of the Roman Empire at all.

It's not a conspiracy on coin size, dude. And in 2012, you may not be aware, oldguy, vending machines take dollar bills and dollar coins. Loosen up the tinfoil.

Maybe not, but those dollar coins only work because they're roughly the size of a quarter. Try inserting one our old Liberty dollar coins and see how far you get.

Are you serious? First, you must be referring to a peace dollar. It looks like this:

1921_peace_dollar.jpg

I would never in my wildest state of drunken debauchery, ever try to put one of these silver gems into a vending machine.

But what if you were not in your normal state?

Plastic. Our money is so worthless we want to make plastic rounds. :lmao:

Before you know it, we'll be scrapping up street grime to make coins. :lmao:

It would be extremely difficult for strippers...

Not really. There are some women with the vagial muscle control to pick up a quarter.. Some can take a stack of quarters up their twat and release them one quarter at a time.
I see you are not only mentally disturbed...you are inherently uncouth.

It would be extremely difficult for strippers...

Not really. There are some women with the vagial muscle control to pick up a quarter.. Some can take a stack of quarters up their twat and release them one quarter at a time.

You just took this thread down a notch, Huggy. :eusa_eh:
Two.

Keep the dollar coin the same size and...put a hole in the center. Then it won't be confused with a quarter and will take even less metal to make.

Mo' savings!

1zge2hj.jpg

The problem with the dollar coins being close to the size of the quarter would seem to have been solved by the fact that the dollar coins are a gold rather than a silver color.

The only place I ever get those dollar coins is toll booths. You hand the person a 10 because thats the smallest you have, and she hands you back 9 of those things.

It's kind of annoying I'm not gonna lie.

Keep the dollar coin the same size and...put a hole in the center. Then it won't be confused with a quarter and will take even less metal to make.

Mo' savings!

1zge2hj.jpg

The problem with the dollar coins being close to the size of the quarter would seem to have been solved by the fact that the dollar coins are a gold rather than a silver color.

In the dim light of a strip club, under the influence of alcohol, a mere difference in color will not suffice...

The only place I ever get those dollar coins is toll booths. You hand the person a 10 because thats the smallest you have, and she hands you back 9 of those things.

It's kind of annoying I'm not gonna lie.

I just keep them in the change holder for tolls at that point. Must be what everyone else does too since I don't ever see them anywhere else.

American consumers have shown about as much appetite for the $1 coin as kids do their spinach. They may not know what's best for them either. Congressional auditors say doing away with dollar bills entirely and replacing them with dollar coins could save taxpayers some $4.4 billion over the next 30 years.

Vending machine operators have long championed the use of $1 coins because they don't jam the machines, cutting down on repair costs and lost sales. But most people don't seem to like carrying them. In the past five years, the U.S. Mint has produced 2.4 billion Presidential $1 coins. Most are stored by the Federal Reserve, and production was suspended about a year ago.

The latest projection from the Government Accountability Office on the potential savings from switching to dollar coins entirely comes as lawmakers begin exploring new ways for the government to save money by changing the money itself.

Congress looks at doing away with the $1 bill - Yahoo! News

:lmao:

like the current coin dollar we have is going over well..... The only reason i think they are ever used...is at the post office so they can give you change in the stamp machines.

Our local transportation authority uses solid dollars for change on transit fare machines.

Forum List

Back