Congress has been busy.....

Really? Does Congress take unpaid leave? Ever? If a Congressperson decided to go to Aruba for 6 months, would they still get paid? My guess is yes. So this legislation has basically no affect on them.

Well let's see....

How much do they get to spend on expenses?

Every member in the House and the Senate gets an allotment (called a Members Representational Allowance in the House) which they can use to hire and pay staff, buy office supplies, lease office space in their home state or district, mail official documents, answer mail, travel back and forth between Washington and their home, and generally try to serve their constituents. The amount each office gets is based on a formula, but generally it's around $1 million. There are limits on how many people you can hire (18 permanent, 4 part time) and on how much you can pay people (max is $151,000). It varies from member to member, but most offices spend the most on staff salaries, then mail, then office rent, travel, supplies, etc.

Members are expressly prohibited from using their taxpayer-financed office money for campaign activities, personal expenses, or primarily social activities. Members also can't accept support from private sources for their official duties (except for travel).
http://www.house.gov/htbin/crsprodget?/RL30064/site=sitename

So, they can't use office expense money.... But do they get a "paid" leave of absence? Hmmm....

Numerous Congress Members May Have Received Illegal Congressional Pay in 2003-2004

Many current or former Senators and Representatives appear to have taken illegal Congressional salary payments during the current Congress, prior to the October recess.

The chronically absent list is well-represented by candidates who ran for higher office, including those who ran for President or Vice President: Senators John Edwards (D-NC), Bob Graham (D-FL), John Kerry (D-MA), and Joseph Lieberman (D-CT), and Congressmen Richard Gephardt (D-MO) and Dennis Kucinich (D-OH). Senate candidates Brad Carson (D-OK), Mac Collins (R-GA), Jim DeMint (R-SC), Pete Deutsch (D-FL), Joseph Hoeffel (D-PA), Johnny Isakson (R-GA), Chris John (D-LA), Denise Majette (D-GA), George Nethercutt (R-WA), and Patrick Toomey (R-PA), who have served in the House during 2003 – 2004, also had numerous unexcused absences. In 2003 now-Kentucky Governor and former Representative Ernie Fletcher (R) missed 27 session days.

Federal law requires Members of Congress to forgo Congressional pay for days missed due to campaign appearances or other unexcused absences. In June 2003 National Taxpayers Union wrote to each of the six Presidential candidates serving in Congress to ask whether they planned "to voluntarily follow this law during your campaign." None of the candidates replied.
Numerous Congress Members May Have Received Illegal Congressional Pay in 2003-2004

So, that 6-month PAID trip to Aruba is OUT -- and you guessed wrong.

Interesting, I wasn't aware of that. Of course the law that you posted doesn't really seem to be enforced, so actually the Aruba trip prolly wouldn't have much of an affect.

Hmm, notice this message I just got,
Thanks for deducting reputation from this user.
The board likes it.

Well let's see....

Every member in the House and the Senate gets an allotment (called a Members Representational Allowance in the House) which they can use to hire and pay staff, buy office supplies, lease office space in their home state or district, mail official documents, answer mail, travel back and forth between Washington and their home, and generally try to serve their constituents. The amount each office gets is based on a formula, but generally it's around $1 million. There are limits on how many people you can hire (18 permanent, 4 part time) and on how much you can pay people (max is $151,000). It varies from member to member, but most offices spend the most on staff salaries, then mail, then office rent, travel, supplies, etc.

Members are expressly prohibited from using their taxpayer-financed office money for campaign activities, personal expenses, or primarily social activities. Members also can't accept support from private sources for their official duties (except for travel).

So, they can't use office expense money.... But do they get a "paid" leave of absence? Hmmm....

Many current or former Senators and Representatives appear to have taken illegal Congressional salary payments during the current Congress, prior to the October recess.

The chronically absent list is well-represented by candidates who ran for higher office, including those who ran for President or Vice President: Senators John Edwards (D-NC), Bob Graham (D-FL), John Kerry (D-MA), and Joseph Lieberman (D-CT), and Congressmen Richard Gephardt (D-MO) and Dennis Kucinich (D-OH). Senate candidates Brad Carson (D-OK), Mac Collins (R-GA), Jim DeMint (R-SC), Pete Deutsch (D-FL), Joseph Hoeffel (D-PA), Johnny Isakson (R-GA), Chris John (D-LA), Denise Majette (D-GA), George Nethercutt (R-WA), and Patrick Toomey (R-PA), who have served in the House during 2003 – 2004, also had numerous unexcused absences. In 2003 now-Kentucky Governor and former Representative Ernie Fletcher (R) missed 27 session days.

Federal law requires Members of Congress to forgo Congressional pay for days missed due to campaign appearances or other unexcused absences. In June 2003 National Taxpayers Union wrote to each of the six Presidential candidates serving in Congress to ask whether they planned "to voluntarily follow this law during your campaign." None of the candidates replied.

Interesting, I wasn't aware of that. Of course the law that you posted doesn't really seem to be enforced, so actually the Aruba trip prolly wouldn't have much of an affect.

Hmm, notice this message I just got,
Thanks for deducting reputation from this user.
The board likes it.

Wow...you are a bit slow, aren't you? It does that for everyone.

See, even for you!

Really? Does Congress take unpaid leave? Ever? If a Congressperson decided to go to Aruba for 6 months, would they still get paid? My guess is yes. So this legislation has basically no affect on them.

Well let's see....

Are you really as big of an idiot as you portray yourself?

Well let's see....

Wow...another right-wing loon thinks I'm an idiot. Its hilarious that all the people who think I am stupid are rabid right-wingers. Perhaps you all don't know how to tell the difference between someone who lacks intelligence and someone who doesn't follow the gospel that Rush farts out his ass?

Wow...another right-wing loon thinks I'm an idiot. Its hilarious that all the people who think I am stupid are rabid right-wingers. Perhaps you all don't know how to tell the difference between someone who lacks intelligence and someone who doesn't follow the gospel that Rush farts out his ass?

No, your just too stupid to know that your an idiot. :lol:

You really don't get the circular reasoning there, do you.

Poor baby...I almost feel bad for you.

Wow, I'm kinda looking for some of your right wing allies that have come to watch your back, Nicky. Hmmm, don't see any, you must really be an idiot. :lol:

Wow, I'm kinda looking for some of your right wing allies that have come to watch your back, Nicky. Hmmm, don't see any, you must really be an idiot. :lol:

Swing and a miss!

Man...get better at this. Seriously. Your starting to make me feel really bad for you ;(

I guess I shouldn't doubt you, considering all the times you've neg repped me in the last 24 hours.

Actually, I'll just tell you.

You've neg repped me 3 times since 9:49 PM yesterday. I've neg repped you exactly one, in retaliation. Of course neither of these include all the other times you've neg repped me, while I've only neg repped you once total.

And yet you want to whine, bitch, and cry about me neg repping you once?

Man, you really are fucking pathetic.

Swing and a miss!

Man...get better at this. Seriously. Your starting to make me feel really bad for you ;(

See what I mean MM?

I guess I shouldn't doubt you, considering all the times you've neg repped me in the last 24 hours.

Oh? Exactly how many times have I neg repped you?

Probably less times than you wanted to.

Really? I can neg rep you exactly as many times as I want too. Its a funny system like that.

As I said, I did it exactly once, in retaliation for you doing it 3 times to me in 24 hours. So don't go around screaming and bitching like a little bitch next time, eh?

Oh? Exactly how many times have I neg repped you?

Probably less times than you wanted to.

Really? I can neg rep you exactly as many times as I want too. Its a funny system like that.

As I said, I did it exactly once, in retaliation for you doing it 3 times to me in 24 hours. So don't go around screaming and bitching like a little bitch next time, eh?

You doth protest to loudly.

Forum List

Back