Congress has been busy.....

Not everyone can afford to just take time off without getting paid. .
I never said they could, but it's a choice they make.

Fine, you don't give a shit about promoting family values,
I didn't say that.

nor do you care that kids actually have their parents around for part of their lives.
I didn't say that either.

You sure do want to claim a lot things about me that I never said.
How about trying to be intellectually honest and actually debating what I said, instead of just making shit up about me?

How much more can you misconstrue what I said?
Does it make you feel better to continue to fling false accusations about me?
Congress continues to violate the constitution with it's unauthorized spending, and people like you continue to just accept it.

If they are false, than why are you so against promoting families?

And do tell how this is violating the Constitution. This should be rich :lol:

I never said I was against promoting family. I said the government had no business getting involved in it. Go back and read what I posted.

Nowhere in the constitution does it say that the government can take money from one person and give it to another, especially if it is based upon the choices of the person receiving the money. I'm sorry the constitution is so difficult for you to understand.

Hmm, I am pretty sure the Constitution allows the government to tax and spend. Oh, hey, thats taking from one person and giving to another. Fail.

How much more can you misconstrue what I said?
Does it make you feel better to continue to fling false accusations about me?
Congress continues to violate the constitution with it's unauthorized spending, and people like you continue to just accept it.

I never said I was against promoting family. I said the government had no business getting involved in it. Go back and read what I posted.

Nowhere in the constitution does it say that the government can take money from one person and give it to another, especially if it is based upon the choices of the person receiving the money. I'm sorry the constitution is so difficult for you to understand.

The government, as an employer, DOES have an interest in promoting families.

Hmm, I am pretty sure the Constitution allows the government to tax and spend. Oh, hey, thats taking from one person and giving to another. Fail.

As I pointed out, you don't seem to understand the constitution.

Does the Constitution give Congress the power to tax and spend. Yes or No?

For your reading pleasure.
LII: Constitution
Please cite the part where it says I am responsible for paying for the paid leave of a government employee so that they can have a child, or for any other reason.

Please cite the part where it says I am responsible for paying for the paid leave of a government employee so that they can have a child, or for any other reason.

Maybe you weren't aware, but the Constitution is a broad document that doesn't consider every specific case.

But hey, since you asked.

The Congress shall have power to lay and collect taxes

The Congress shall have Power - To make all Laws which shall be necessary and proper for carrying into Execution the foregoing Powers, and all other Powers vested by this Constitution in the Government of the United States, or in any Department or Officer thereof.

Next?

Maybe you weren't aware, but the Constitution is a broad document that doesn't consider every specific case.

The Congress shall have power to lay and collect taxes

The Congress shall have Power - To make all Laws which shall be necessary and proper for carrying into Execution the foregoing Powers, and all other Powers vested by this Constitution in the Government of the United States, or in any Department or Officer thereof.

Next?

Well, if you feel it's necessary for you to pay for somebody to have children, you owe me back pay.

Next?

Well, if you feel it's necessary for you to pay for somebody to have children, you owe me back pay.

Its necessary for the federal government to employ people to do various tasks. Its also necessary for them to decide on a compensation scheme for said various tasks.

Next?

Its necessary for the federal government to employ people to do various tasks. Its also necessary for them to decide on a compensation scheme for said various tasks.

Is it?

Is it?

Yes. If it wasn't, I wouldn't have said that. Got anything better?

Oh, kind of like this,
Not everyone can afford to just take time off without getting paid. .

Fine, you don't give a shit about promoting family values,
I didn't say that.

nor do you care that kids actually have their parents around for part of their lives.

How about trying to be intellectually honest and actually debating what I said, instead of just making shit up about me?

The truth is, you seem to just like to make stuff up, and this latest made up fantasy of yours is that it's necessary for the federal government to offer paid leave on the taxpayer dime for childbirth, when millions of people manage to handle that just fine without government, taxpayer or employer financing.

Oh, kind of like this,

I didn't say that.

The truth is, you seem to just like to make stuff up, and this latest made up fantasy of yours is that it's necessary for the federal government to offer paid leave on the taxpayer dime for childbirth, when millions of people manage to handle that just fine without government, taxpayer or employer financing.

I didn't say it was necessary for the feds to offer that. I said it was necessary for them to offer compensation. The specific compensation is, of course, not necessary, but some compensation is. And theres no reason to think that gouging federal employees and getting people to work for the cheapest wages possible is in the governments best interest.

Oh, kind of like this,

I didn't say that.

I didn't say it was necessary for the feds to offer that. I said it was necessary for them to offer compensation. The specific compensation is, of course, not necessary, but some compensation is. And theres no reason to think that gouging federal employees and getting people to work for the cheapest wages possible is in the governments best interest.

Not offering paid leave for childbirth is not gouging.

Oh, kind of like this,

Not offering paid leave for childbirth is not gouging.

Well you said that childbirth leave isn't "necessary" and therefore shouldn't be given. Ostensibly you think that any benefits that aren't "necessary" shouldn't be given either. If that were the case, they would be gouged.

Spending all of our hard earned money on pork barrel projects, and running this country into a debt that we will never recover from.

Contemplating the Sotomayer confirmation. Weighing the pros and cons of health care, all under the guise of "reform". Passing a "family" tobacco legislation bill -- LOL!

Betcha missed THIS one....

Federal Employees Paid Parental Leave Act -
Vote Passed (258-154, 1 Present, 20 Not Voting)

The House approved this bill that would provide paid leave to federal employees for 4 of the 12 weeks of parental leave available to them.
Congress.org - Key Votes

Rep. Steven Rothman (D-NJ) voted YES

Way to go Steve! Always interesting to me how they have no problem voting for increases in pay or benefits for themselves. Now, do you suppose this paid leave is going to trickle down to everyone else eventually?

Well--can we take the unemployed in this country & put them into these positions?--Just kidding.

What a slap in the face to the American public.

Evidently I am retarded, because now my tax dollars are paying for somebody to take a leave of absence simply because they chose to get pregnant and have a child.
So, now I get to pay for somebody else to have an abortion, or to have a child. Seems the pro-choice crowd didn't leave me any any choice in the matter.

That isn't an accurate description of the Act. Could we not make this about pro-life/pro-choice because some of you believe that the FMLA is only for the benefit of pregnant women?

I'm not talking about FMLA, I'm talking about paid leave. Paid from my tax dollars, that's completely different.

Yeah, well, the PAID LEAVE in THIS thread OP is under the FMLA "daddy" Act. That would kinda make your rant a deflection, yes?

Very good.... And they would be the same federal employees who are, somehow, different from us peon municipal [or state] employees, and all you non-government employees....

Well luck really has little to do with it.

First you start with the difference between "bestowing" and "mandating" as if there's a difference when Congress must mandate what is bestowed.

There is a difference. Its the difference between giving someone rights yourself and forcing someone else to provide someone with rights.

Second, you go on to say that Congress has more responsibility for federal employees than any other employees, and then go on to say that they would prefer to mandate that it be bestowed upon those they have less responsibility for if only SOME of them (the Republicans of course) wouldn't be so ornery about it!

Yes, thats correct.

When you were reminded that it was Congress (ALL of them) that mandated that the DADDY package (FMLA) be bestowed upon ALL of us, you then reverted back to the greater responsibility that they have to mandate that the BABY package be bestowed upon themselves (the feds).

And damned if you didn't declare that there's a precedent for it!
http://www.eeoc.gov/policy/docs/fmlaada.html

Oy. Ok. Congress has a greater responsibility to federal employees than to individuals in general, since Congress, in a sense, directly employs them. Now. That they have a greater responsibility to one group does not mean they have NO responsibility to the whole.

Seems you need a bit more luck. Care to try again?

Well I'll be damned.... Last time I checked, WE EMPLOY CONGRESS! Now tell me again who they have the greater responsibility to????

Take your time....

Well luck really has little to do with it.

First you start with the difference between "bestowing" and "mandating" as if there's a difference when Congress must mandate what is bestowed.

There is a difference. Its the difference between giving someone rights yourself and forcing someone else to provide someone with rights.

Yes, thats correct.

When you were reminded that it was Congress (ALL of them) that mandated that the DADDY package (FMLA) be bestowed upon ALL of us, you then reverted back to the greater responsibility that they have to mandate that the BABY package be bestowed upon themselves (the feds).

And damned if you didn't declare that there's a precedent for it!
http://www.eeoc.gov/policy/docs/fmlaada.html

Oy. Ok. Congress has a greater responsibility to federal employees than to individuals in general, since Congress, in a sense, directly employs them. Now. That they have a greater responsibility to one group does not mean they have NO responsibility to the whole.

Seems you need a bit more luck. Care to try again?

Well I'll be damned.... Last time I checked, WE EMPLOY CONGRESS! Now tell me again who they have the greater responsibility to????

Take your time....

They have a greater responsibility to the people in their employ.

Next?

Forum List

Back