Congress grants the Executive branch the power to break up any company

so there's a bi-partisan reflex to bail out highly influential firms. i agree with that. the government's role in the economy is not to stand by and let the consequences of free markets run their course - the private sector will affect that itself. the government should referee these consequenses such to conserve the benefits and soften the costs.

the bill proposes snipping up companies that enter this highly influential, 'too big to fail' bracket, so that left to their own devices, their failure wont thrust 250k people into the midwest job-market at once, in the case of GM, or leaving $80+ billion in assests suddenly uninsured should AIG bust.

sounds like a resonable solution for corporate welfare and a nod to freedom in the market to me. the only folks let down by this are those who would prefer the catastrophic failures of the firms that comprise measurable parts of or GDP and national employment, and all at the same time. thats why we need government, sometimes... to protect the ignorant from themselves.

And yet i cant find a thread on it. I cant imagine that this is a good thing.

Hmmm....seeing as how you started THIS thread, one would have thought YOU would provide the link to support your thread? Just sayin'.:eusa_whistle:

Were you living under a rock Friday when they did this? there have been a number of threads started since my threat on the overreaching power Congress just granted the executive.

Unless you ENJOYED bailing out the banks, the car makers and the investment houses and the insurance firms, I see this as a VERY good thing.

Why on earth do you believe that our only options available are to give the government power to "Bail out" these companies, or give them power to break them up?

Seems to me you are making the same stupid mistake in both instances, you are giving more power to the government. There is a very clear alternative. Let them survive or fail on their own merits and get government out of the way.

Unless you ENJOYED bailing out the banks, the car makers and the investment houses and the insurance firms, I see this as a VERY good thing.

Why on earth do you believe that our only options available are to give the government power to "Bail out" these companies, or give them power to break them up?

Seems to me you are making the same stupid mistake in both instances, you are giving more power to the government. There is a very clear alternative. Let them survive or fail on their own merits and get government out of the way.

Economies run in cycles. It is very very difficult to put in place something to control the downside, without hurting the upside. Better to let the cycle run its course.

Why did we fall so far? Because government allowed an artifically high cycle.

Oh, btw while the Constitution grants Congress the authority to regulate interstate commerce. It doesnt give Congress the authority to break up companies, let alone give them the authority to delegate power to the executive branch to do it based solely on a determination by a "czar", or any other member of the executive branch, that said company is too big and detrimental to the economy.

The Congress also doesnt have a right to remove due process rights and tell the executive branch they can take someone's property away from them on a whim of the designated member of said executive branch.

Finally, the sheer amount of potential abuse this opens up by providing politicians a way to legally extort money from corporations would make any sane American downright stupid for thinking its a good idea.

Economies run in cycles. It is very very difficult to put in place something to control the downside, without hurting the upside. Better to let the cycle run its course.

Wait a minute. You say we're better off letting cycles run their course. And in the next breath, you say the government 'allowed an artifically high cycle'. You can't have it both ways, sweetcheeks. Either we should let the cycles run their course or government should intervene. Which is it?

Things change. Period. And the Constitution, in all of its wisdom, couldn't (and didn't) predict everything. For instance, it didn't predict how anti-democratic monopolies would be. So, Teddy Roosevely introduced anti-trust laws. No one, to my knowledge, ever contemplated 'too big too fail', so to save the entire system, congress has put this in place in the hopes that it'll keep us off that particular cliff again.

Things change so much that they tend to stay exactly the same. People keep making excuses to give government more and more power and then are shocked when they no longer have freedom and are poor while the politician and his friends are lining their pockets with money they didnt earn.

We dont live in a Democracy. We live in A Republic. Or atleast we did. Im not sure what to call our government now.

The so called "Too big too fail" mantra is a lie. There is no company too big to fail. If they run poor business practices, they deserve to fail. If they are dishonest, they deserve to fail. You people act like we have no alternatives to government intervention. The most obvious is Let them fail!

People seem to think you can avoid harsh consequences the world has for bad behavior if you work hard enough to avoid it till the last possible second. Reality is quite different. In reality, the more push off the pain, the more pain you are going to have later on. It's about time this nation started to man up and accept reality. The economy will not reach an unshakey position until we do that.

Wait a minute. You say we're better off letting cycles run their course. And in the next breath, you say the government 'allowed an artifically high cycle'. You can't have it both ways, sweetcheeks. Either we should let the cycles run their course or government should intervene. Which is it?

The point you are addressing is let it run its course. I was simply mentioning that the earlier interference to allow a false high, meant we had further to fall. Let them self correct.

Things change. Period. And the Constitution, in all of its wisdom, couldn't (and didn't) predict everything. For instance, it didn't predict how anti-democratic monopolies would be. So, Teddy Roosevely introduced anti-trust laws. No one, to my knowledge, ever contemplated 'too big too fail', so to save the entire system, congress has put this in place in the hopes that it'll keep us off that particular cliff again.

Basic human rights and RESPONSIBILITIES have not changed. Limits of government in order to preserve liberty have not changed. The willingness of some to forfeit these for an immediate gain has not changed.

whats up with this johhny-come-lateley free market economics? too many libertarian party pamphlets going around. sound economic policy is the opposite of letting the economy run amuck. like letting kids raise themselves. yeah, it'll free their minds...

Things change so much that they tend to stay exactly the same. People keep making excuses to give government more and more power and then are shocked when they no longer have freedom and are poor while the politician and his friends are lining their pockets with money they didnt earn.

We dont live in a Democracy. We live in A Republic. Or atleast we did. Im not sure what to call our government now.

The so called "Too big too fail" mantra is a lie. There is no company too big to fail. If they run poor business practices, they deserve to fail. If they are dishonest, they deserve to fail. You people act like we have no alternatives to government intervention. The most obvious is Let them fail!

People seem to think you can avoid harsh consequences the world has for bad behavior if you work hard enough to avoid it till the last possible second. Reality is quite different. In reality, the more push off the pain, the more pain you are going to have later on. It's about time this nation started to man up and accept reality. The economy will not reach an unshakey position until we do that.

So, you're of the opinion that in addition to Lehman Brothers, if we had allow AIG, CitiBank, BOA, and a host of other really large financial institutions to fail, we would have been just fine........yeah, right....

That's the thing about conservatives, you're so caught up in how things 'used to be' that you cannot see the need for change until it's too late.........aka The Great Depression.

As for excuses, you want to call my reasoning excuses; then I'll have to reciprocate and say that you guys are just a bunch of whiners. You've been whining since November 4, 2008 and probably will be whining until January 20, 2017.

How do you determine what is "too big to fail"?

I personally don't believe there is such a thing. And if there is, gov't is the last entity in the world that needs to be deciding that.

Scroll down to Page 5 here, and you'll hopefully understand why a giant conglomerate like AIG was "too big to fail." Hundreds of smaller insurance companies, for which AIG was the umbrella institution, would have gone under immediately.