Congress Gets Raise-- Now Paid $174,000 For 3 Day Work Week

It seems the federal government is the only industry that is in growth mode.

Federal Jobs a Growth Industry

In fact the number of federal workers is on the rise.

That might seem strange to the 11 million people in the U.S. who are out of work and the millions more who fear they soon will be. Shouldnt Washington pare down too?

But it is unlikely that President Barack Obama will put any of the nearly 2 million federal civil servants out in the street in the middle of the worst economic downturn since the Great Depression. His proposed $800-plus billion economic aid plan, which includes heavy spending on public works, is expected to increase the ranks of federal workers, although mostly at the state and local level.

typical when people have less the government wants even more.

oh, but don't you know, this is not a pay raise.

i heard a congressman on cspan say such....

''...this is not a raise, it is a cost of living increase that even those on SS get....''

right...

My father in law got a cost of living raise in his social security and they took it away from him in his foodstamps.

''...this is not a raise, it is a cost of living increase that even those on SS get....''

ACtually that is true.

Except the average SS reciever got about an additional $75 a month.

It was about a 5% raise or so.

Given that the real rate of inflation was probably about 15% last year (based on what people actually have to spend, not on the OMB's insane formula for inflation, I mean) those folks lost purchasing power just as they have been losing purchaing power for a mighty long time.

bet the congressment get housing food and energy in their cost of living raise. Since social security was tired to a cost of living raise they removed housing from the figures. I think they've also removed food and energy, leaving things like washing machines and cars. How many people on social security do you know that buy washing machines and cars? Bet they have other retirement benefits besides social secuirty.

right...

My father in law got a cost of living raise in his social security and they took it away from him in his foodstamps.

Yup!

And had he lived in gov. subsidized housing his rent would likely have gone up, too.

That might seem strange to the 11 million people in the U.S. who are out of work and the millions more who fear they soon will be. Shouldnt Washington pare down too?

But it is unlikely that President Barack Obama will put any of the nearly 2 million federal civil servants out in the street in the middle of the worst economic downturn since the Great Depression. His proposed $800-plus billion economic aid plan, which includes heavy spending on public works, is expected to increase the ranks of federal workers, although mostly at the state and local level.

If I were a government employee, I would only vote for big government politicians to ensure my job was safe.

If I were a government employee, I would only vote for big government politicians to ensure my job was safe.

Which obviously means that one could vote DEMOCRATIC OR REPUBLICAN with confidence, eh?

Which obviously means that one could vote DEMOCRATIC OR REPUBLICAN with confidence, eh?

That reminds me of a Reagan appointee (can't remember his name) who said just a few years ago that when he heard Reagan talking about smaller government back in the 80s, he invested in Real Estate in Washington DC because he knew government would keep getting bigger and bigger. Obviously, he was right.

That reminds me of a Reagan appointee (can't remember his name) who said just a few years ago that when he heard Reagan talking about smaller government back in the 80s, he invested in Real Estate in Washington DC because he knew government would keep getting bigger and bigger. Obviously, he was right.

I was working for the federal government back then. We were told to cut one GS 11 position. They cut two GS 5 positions and we were already top heavy..too many generals, not enough privates so to speak.

Again i ask: What's the difference?

good thing I didn't vote for either eh?

Forum List

Back