Congress gets a raise, we get the bill

LilOlLady

Gold Member
Apr 20, 2009
Reno, NV

FRIDAY, DECEMBER 28, 2012

Congress gets automatic pay raises while most American families are living off minimum wage. Personally, I do not believe that the members of Congress are earning the $174,000 salary that they receive now. Our tax dollars pay for the pay increases given to Congress; however, we do not receive a pay raise. They should not have been allowed to vote themselves pay raises.
Watertown Daily Times | Congress gets a raise, we get the bill

Congress getting another pay raise of $5900.

Social Security benefits to rise 1% to 2% in 2013

WASHINGTON (AP) — Social Security recipients shouldn't expect a big increase in monthly benefits come January.

Preliminary figures show the annual benefit boost will be between 1% and 2%, which would be among the lowest since automatic adjustments were adopted in 1975. Monthly benefits for retired workers now average $1,237, meaning the typical retiree can expect a raise of $12 to $24 a month next year.
Social Security benefits to rise 1% to 2% in 2013
Thank you master,

According to the order, Biden's pay will increase from $225,521 to $231,900 a year, before taxes. House Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) will see his salary increased to $224,500 and Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) will take home an annual pay of $194,400 after his raise.

While Obama's order made no mention of merit for such a raise, HuffPost's Amanda Terkel reported on Friday that the 112th Congress is set to end the session as the most unproductive since the 1940s, with only 219 bills passed by the body becoming law. The raise won't take place until the 113th Congress, meaning that outgoing members will see no effect from the order.
Obama Orders Pay Raise For Congress, Federal Workers, Joe Biden

Congress fixed legislation to make raises automatic, how nice. These people have no idea as to the ethics involved in earning that raise. Vote them all out.

FRIDAY, DECEMBER 28, 2012

Congress gets automatic pay raises while most American families are living off minimum wage. Personally, I do not believe that the members of Congress are earning the $174,000 salary that they receive now. Our tax dollars pay for the pay increases given to Congress; however, we do not receive a pay raise. They should not have been allowed to vote themselves pay raises.
Watertown Daily Times | Congress gets a raise, we get the bill

Congress getting another pay raise of $5900.

I don't either. Personally I think as public servants they should be given a dorm room, an office, free food and no salary at all. And any lobbyist that comes to see them gets the meeting recorded and broadcast.

Let's see how many of them make a career out of that. Those that do will do so for the right reasons.

Besides, Congress has been vacationing and recessing pretty hard this year. Consider this: the seven week break for the elections? The one that followed Congress’ five week summer break? At $3,480 per week for seven weeks, taxpayers paid $13,032,600 for just one recess, not including staff and benefits. The five week summer break tacked on another $9,390,000. So we paid more than $20,000,000 for Congress not to work for most of the summer and fall, not including federal holidays and the like.
What’s an extra half million?

Congress Hasn't Fixed The Budget Yet, Getting A Raise Anyway - Forbes

I have said this before pay raises for Congress should be decided on by the people they work for us it should be a vote by the people to determine if Congress gets a pay raise or a pay cut I bet that would solve a lot of the Washington gridlock.

actually it was BO who issued an executive order to remove the pay freeze on congress and all federal employees...

Joe Biden got a cool $6,000+ raise......for what i don't know...

Obama Orders Pay Raise for Biden, Members of Congress, Federal Workers | The Weekly Standard

For being the Vice President? The only duty the U.S. Constitution assigns the Vice President is to act as presiding officer of the Senate. Back up for the President.

That's two times more then the Congress has done.

Last edited:
I have said this before pay raises for Congress should be decided on by the people they work for us it should be a vote by the people to determine if Congress gets a pay raise or a pay cut I bet that would solve a lot of the Washington gridlock.

Congress makes its own rules for itself.......they do not have to follow the rules they make for us....

Congress makes its own rules for itself.......they do not have to follow the rules they make for us....

Perhaps if the people started making it a issue during midterm and Presidential elections they would have to.

Forum List

Back