Congress, get off your gas, and drill!

Yes, but not in large enough quantities.

I had read a few years ago that in two decades, we may be able to get 3 million barrels of oil per day out of it. That's significant enough but America currently consumers 26 million barrels.

As for ANWR, though I support drilling, it is estimated that at best we can get 300,000 barrels per day out.

Yeah, believe Rand wrote that a few years ago for the DOE. I believe their numbers are more in the 6 mil range now. It wouldn't be an instant fix but 5 years down the road it could have major implications on our economy if plans were implemented now to begin production.

Yeah, believe Rand wrote that a few years ago for the DOE. I believe their numbers are more in the 6 mil range now. It wouldn't be an instant fix but 5 years down the road it could have major implications on our economy if plans were implemented now to begin production.

Good stuff. I'm all for it.

This is one of the effects of $130 oil. And why oil won't stay at $130 forever.

The intrinsic value of undrilled oil... Undrilled oil is an asset that will expand the holdings (ie value) of a companies bottom line. Maybe congress should put pressure on Oil companies to drill on their current leases... Anwar and Florida reserves are just distractionary political footballs..

“Proved Reserves” means the estimated quantities of crude oil, natural gas, and natural gas liquids which geological and engineering data demonstrate with reasonable certainty to be recoverable in future years from known reservoirs under existing economic and operating conditions, i.e., prices and costs as of the date the estimate is made. Prices include consideration of changes in existing prices provided only by contractual arrangements, but not on escalations based upon future conditions.

Reservoirs are considered proved if economic producibility is supported by either actual production or conclusive formation test. The area of a reservoir considered proved includes: (a) that portion delineated by drilling and defined by gas-oil and/or oil-water contacts, if any; and (b) the immediately adjoining areas not yet drilled, but which can be reasonably judged as economically productive on the basis of available geological and engineering data. In the absence of information on fluid contacts, the lowest known structural occurrence of hydrocarbons controls the lower proved limit of the reservoir.

Reserves which can be produced economically through application of improved recovery techniques (such as fluid injection) are included in the “proved” classification when successful testing by a pilot project, or the operation of an installed program in the reservoir, provides support for the engineering analysis on which the project or program was based.

Estimates of proved reserves do not include the following: (a) oil that may become available from known reservoirs but is classified separately as “indicated additional reserves”; (b) crude oil, natural gas, and natural gas liquids, the recovery of which is subject to reasonable doubt because of uncertainty as to geology, reservoir characteristics, or economic factors; (c) crude oil, natural gas, and natural gas liquids that may occur in undrilled prospects; and, (d) crude oil, natural gas, and natural gas liquids that may be recovered from oil shales, coal, gilsonite, and other such sources.

“Proved Undeveloped Reserves” means reserves that are expected to be recovered from new wells on undrilled acreage, or from existing wells where a relatively major expenditure is required for recompletion. Reserves on undrilled acreage are usually limited to those drilling units offsetting productive units that are reasonably certain of production when drilled. Proved reserves for other undrilled units can be claimed only where it can be demonstrated with certainty that there is continuity of production from the existing productive formation. Under no circumstances are estimates for proved undeveloped reserves generally attributed to any acreage for which an application of fluid injection or other improved recovery technique is contemplated, unless such techniques have been proved effective by actual tests in the area and in the same reservoir.

Has it dawned on anyone yet that there is plenty of oil, it is just the price that is creating this gnashing of teeth and loud whining. There is no shortage and if there was lots more would it even lower prices. Get a bike or scooter and shut up.

Recovering the shale oil of the West is still too expensive.

Right now the only thing we've got that does make sense is coal.

And buring coal that addz to the mess we've made of the atmosphere is not much a solution either.

We really ought to face the facts, bite the bullet and start investing massive amounts in making solar and wind, geothermal and tidal our energy sources.

Burning hydrocarbons is killing us all.

Generally, though, what does the broad population want?

Most of the broads I know are still looking for a decent man who can bring home the bacon, cook it, and clean up afterwards.

Sadly for those delusional women, all those men already have boyfriends.

Most Floridians don't want any drilling off the coasts.

Here in Florida, the biggest industry is tourism. There is a real fear across the political spectrum that the energy business will drive tourists away. It is a highly polluting industry. We're not sure why we should risk our livelihoods for the rest of the country.

As for ANWR, drill in it.

What's Florida going to do when no one can afford to visit Florida?

Go fishing.

They will need to to eat. Of course they could always just garnish the social security checks of all those blue hairs down there.

By the way, what happened to all that liberal compassion for the rest of the country you Dems are supposed to have? Pretty selfish just worrying about Florida instead of what is good for the country, donchya think?

They will need to to eat. Of course they could always just garnish the social security checks of all those blue hairs down there.

By the way, what happened to all that liberal compassion for the rest of the country you Dems are supposed to have? Pretty selfish just worrying about Florida instead of what is good for the country, donchya think?

Who said I had compassion? We don't have any blue-hairs, we have all the illegals.

Most Floridians don't want any drilling off the coasts.

Here in Florida, the biggest industry is tourism. There is a real fear across the political spectrum that the energy business will drive tourists away. It is a highly polluting industry. We're not sure why we should risk our livelihoods for the rest of the country.

As for ANWR, drill in it.

Most Floridians don't have any say in the matter. The media and a bunch of special interest groups all scream about it and the media wants everyone to assume we don't want it, but I've never seen it come to a vote. Put it to a vote today and see what the outcome is.
The Coast Guard down here, for years, chased down oil spills that never seemed to have a source, until they realized that it was oil seeping up through fissures in the ground (not unlike oil the comes up from the ground off the coast of California). The fact of the matter is that no beach or environmental distaster has ever come from an oil rig. They occur when oil is being shipped on barges, etc. who have the bad habit of running into things and bursting when they do. If a rig was to have a leak it would not be in a concentrated quantity, like a ship. There is no real justification for not drilling off the coast of Florida.

No big oil spills in decades, including when all the hurricanes were wreaking havoc.

Most Floridians don't have any say in the matter. The media and a bunch of special interest groups all scream about it and the media wants everyone to assume we don't want it, but I've never seen it come to a vote. Put it to a vote today and see what the outcome is.

Fine, put it on the ballot and see what happens. I doubt you'd even get the required number of signatures.

Here in Florida, the GOP is as pro-business as it gets, controls both chambers, most cabinet positions and the governorship. Yet they oppose offshore drilling. Must be because the people want drilling off the coast.

No, it's because the majority of Florida's population are VACATIONERS or RETIREES.

They don't want to have to look at oil rigs when they're sunbathing, or have to steer around them when they're zooming around drunk in their boaties.

Forum List

Back