Congress Authorizes Korean Defense Service Medal

freeandfun1

VIP Member
Feb 14, 2004
Congress Authorizes Korean Defense Service Medal

Just some info for those of you that have served in Korea.

The new medal is America's way "of recognizing the tremendous accomplishments," said a Pentagon spokeswoman, of service members who served in Korea from July 28, 1954, to a future undetermined date. "The Republic of Korea is prosperous, free and democratic because of the sacrifices of generations of Americans in that land," she added.

COLD WAR CERTIFICATE

DKSuddeth said:
the marine corps already has 3 of these awards.

Funny, this is new from the DOD. I didn't know the Marine Corp had their "own" approving authority for DOD medals..... hmmmmm

ooops, my bad. I didn't notice the particular starting date for the new one. the 3 marine awards are all for before. ok, i'll shutup now. :sleep:

DKSuddeth said:
ooops, my bad. I didn't notice the particular starting date for the new one. the 3 marine awards are all for before. ok, i'll shutup now. :sleep:

DK, I think that makes it twice in the past few months that you were wrong? :D

I glad for this. My uncle served over there, but the gov't didn't want anybody knowing there was still fighting over there, so my Uncle's two wounds (both worse than any Kerry wound) were classified as 'accidents' and no Purple Heart was given to him. At least now he'll have something for what he did.

On a side note, Korea during that time period drove people crazy. My uncle spent two years being shot at without authority to shoot back, and it was several years before he recovered from that. Until then, his attitude was, "I'm not taking any crap from anybody for anything."

Forum List

Back