Congratulations You Just Gave Them The Power To Set Your Home Thermostats

G.G

Mar 13, 2009
The "smart grid" has become the buzz of the electric power industry, at the White House and among members of Congress. President Barack Obama says it's essential to boost development of wind and solar power, get people to use less energy and to tackle climate change.

What smart grid visionaries see coming are home thermostats and appliances that adjust automatically depending on the cost of power; where a water heater may get juice from a neighbor's rooftop solar panel; and where on a scorching hot day a plug-in hybrid electric car charges one minute and the next sends electricity back to the grid to help head off a brownout.

It is where utilities get instant feedback on a transformer outage, shift easily among energy sources, integrating wind and solar energy with electricity from coal-burning power plants, and go into homes and businesses to automatically adjust power use based on prearranged agreements.

"It's the marriage of information technology and automation technology with the existing electricity network. This is the energy Internet," said Bob Gilligan, vice president for transmission at GE Energy, which is aggressively pursuing smart grid development. "There are going to be applications 10 years from now that you and I have no idea that we're going to want or need or think are essential to our lives."

Hundreds of technology companies and almost every major electric utility company see smart grid as the future. That interest got a boost with the availability of $4.5 billion in federal economic recovery money for smart grid technology.

full article
'Smart grid' -- buzz of the electric power industry -

Well you Obama voters wanted change and your gonna get it. You have now voted into power people that want to control the thermostats in your own home.

Won't that be fun. Adjust according to the cost of power? Are they insane?

Essentially what's being said is that poor people will be cold. Or hot.

So long as I can pay for what I use, I will control it. My generator gives me that right. Commie bastards.

The "smart grid" has become the buzz of the electric power industry, at the White House and among members of Congress. President Barack Obama says it's essential to boost development of wind and solar power, get people to use less energy and to tackle climate change.

What smart grid visionaries see coming are home thermostats and appliances that adjust automatically depending on the cost of power; where a water heater may get juice from a neighbor's rooftop solar panel; and where on a scorching hot day a plug-in hybrid electric car charges one minute and the next sends electricity back to the grid to help head off a brownout.

It is where utilities get instant feedback on a transformer outage, shift easily among energy sources, integrating wind and solar energy with electricity from coal-burning power plants, and go into homes and businesses to automatically adjust power use based on prearranged agreements.

"It's the marriage of information technology and automation technology with the existing electricity network. This is the energy Internet," said Bob Gilligan, vice president for transmission at GE Energy, which is aggressively pursuing smart grid development. "There are going to be applications 10 years from now that you and I have no idea that we're going to want or need or think are essential to our lives."

Hundreds of technology companies and almost every major electric utility company see smart grid as the future. That interest got a boost with the availability of $4.5 billion in federal economic recovery money for smart grid technology.

full article

Well you Obama voters wanted change and your gonna get it. You have now voted into power people that want to control the thermostats in your own home.

So progress isn't your thing? Would you prefer rabbit ears on your television? Or how about no television? Do you think that whole cities that lose power because the power grid went down due to peak usage thousands of miles away is acceptable?

Why do cons fight anything progressive as suddenly being an evil Obama conspiracy? Here's what you would have if progress in electricity had remained stagnant 50 years ago.

progress_act2.jpg

"Whew! Hottest summer we’ve had in years. Well, we’ve progressed a long way since the
turn of the century, twenty years ago. But no one realized then that this would
be the age of electricity. Everyone’s using it... farmers, factories, whole towns!"

Last edited:
Shoot at least the "rabbit ears" used to give us a couple of channels. Now we don't get any TV reception here.

So progress isn't your thing? Would you prefer rabbit ears on your television? Or how about no television? Do you think that whole cities that lose power because the power grid went down due to peak usage thousands of miles away is acceptable?

Why do cons fight anything progressive as suddenly being an evil Obama conspiracy? Here's what you would have if progress in electricity had remained stagnant 50 years ago.

Government didn't drive technology 50 years ago, except in East Germany, maybe.

Exactly.

And I'm down with rabbit ears. Used them off and on for years, never paid for cable.

full article

progress_act2.jpg

"Whew! Hottest summer we’ve had in years. Well, we’ve progressed a long way since the
be the age of electricity. Everyone’s using it... farmers, factories, whole towns!"

I wouldn't like someone remotely changing the channel on my TV because they think I've watched too much baseball and need to balance it with some current affairs. Of that three hours of the history channel is enough without an equal amount of time spent watching BET, or the Home Shopping Network, or PBS.

Why do cons fight anything progressive as suddenly being an evil Obama conspiracy?

Why are you so willing to give up all your personal rights just because O says to use less energy, we have the power to control it, but it's for your own good and the good of the environment?

Funny how Barry thinks your thermostats should be controlled and yet he keeps his Oval Office at temperatures matching those of the tropics where Orchids could grow.

They don't see it as them giving up their rights.

They see it as taking YOURS from YOU.

They're too stupid to figure it out.

there is a big difference between a grid that adjusts to power use and the government placing radio controlled thermostats in your home.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/11/us/11control.html

sorry but the government will put a radio transmitter in my house over my dead body.

Except that we need more power lines. We don't have enough as it is. All of the OP is nothing but pure speculation. NO ONE is talking about telling you how to control your own thermostat. God I'm so fucking sick of these ridiculous projections. If you're so all-fired worried about government intrusion into your electric usage, were you equally as fired up over the government tapping your telephones? They actually DID that, without you even knowing.

Why do cons fight anything progressive as suddenly being an evil Obama conspiracy?

Why are you so willing to give up all your personal rights just because O says to use less energy, we have the power to control it, but it's for your own good and the good of the environment?

Funny how Barry thinks your thermostats should be controlled and yet he keeps his Oval Office at temperatures matching those of the tropics where Orchids could grow.

Where's your link to that? He's hardly ever IN the Oval Office, preferring to move from office to office confering with staff and reading position papers from his office at the residence.

progress_act2.jpg

I wouldn't like someone remotely changing the channel on my TV because they think I've watched too much baseball and need to balance it with some current affairs. Of that three hours of the history channel is enough without an equal amount of time spent watching BET, or the Home Shopping Network, or PBS.

UN...FUCKING...BELIEVABLE!! Where in the HELL do you people get these WILD ideas? You're really becoming a joke, ya know.

When did Obama order that? Nixon ordered the speed limit dropped from 65 to 55 during the oil embargo; he ordered all office lights be turned OFF after midnight (NYC skyline was dark); he suggested we not use Christmas tree lights. Presidents SUGGEST a lot of things that have to do with the current state of affairs. What the FUCK is your problem? Oh, Barack Hussein Obama. You assholes really don't need to say more. We get it.

progress_act2.jpg

UN...FUCKING...BELIEVABLE!! Where in the HELL do you people get these WILD ideas? You're really becoming a joke, ya know.

The prophet is never recognized in his own land.

progress_act2.jpg

I don't think it's an evil Obama conspiracy ... but then I'm not a right winger. However, I don't like big brother ... at all ... ever ... I'm a fucking adult and I pay my bills, so I get to choose my way of life, period. If you don't like choice, if you don't like freedom, this is the wrong country to live in.

I don't think it's an evil Obama conspiracy ... but then I'm not a right winger. However, I don't like big brother ... at all ... ever ... I'm a fucking adult and I pay my bills, so I get to choose my way of life, period. If you don't like choice, if you don't like freedom, this is the wrong country to live in.

Oh! Is that what her post was implying? To be honest I didn't understand it.

Do you really think Barack Obama and his marxists want to expand energy development in this country?

It would be nice if it was just him ... and his butt leeches ... but it's all of them, the politicians we have allowed to wrest too much control from us too long. They won't stop, they will never stop. We have babysitters, every single one of us. I can't wait until they are all rotting in their graves, so I can pave over the cemetery.

New Topics

Forum List

Back