Congratulations to Europe.

Russian Celebrates May 9th. It is still a big deal there. I wish it were a big deal here too. I wonder why it is not

Perhaps different time zones? When it's May 9th in parts of Russia, it's May 8th in Europe and the US?

Just a guess, I have no idea.

Yeah, Europe and the US celebrate victory on May 8. It was May 9 Moscow Time when German military surrender became effective, so Russians celebrate on May 9th.

Russian Celebrates May 9th. It is still a big deal there. I wish it were a big deal here too. I wonder why it is not

Perhaps different time zones? When it's May 9th in parts of Russia, it's May 8th in Europe and the US?

Yeah, Europe and the US celebrate victory on May 8. It was May 9 Moscow Time when German military surrender became effective, so Russians celebrate on May 9th.

That's what I thought--but wasn't certain and was too lazy to look it up.

Thanks for confirming.

They showed clips from Red Square on the UK News.... They had fucking British and US troops marchin' in their parade. How fucking weird is that? Damn! I mean I know we were all kind of on the same side, but that didn't last long after it ended!

They showed clips from Red Square on the UK News.... They had fucking British and US troops marchin' in their parade. How fucking weird is that? Damn! I mean I know we were all kind of on the same side, but that didn't last long after it ended!

I saw that..

I thought it was pretty cool..

And damn, those Russians sure know how to "Hurrah".. Don't know if they were actually saying a sort of Hurrah's or they were actually saying something in Russian..

Russians see it as their fight against Nazis (Great Patriotic War). Maybe they don't care about British and US troops marching ... I don't like it either. I still perceive Russia as undemocratic with strong ties to former USSR. USSR's fight with us doesn't make that country better.

I disagree strongly with a lot of the stuff being said here:

1) UK is within the continent of europe even though it is not connected to the landmass of europe: Europe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia . A precondition of joining the EU is that the country must be in Europe. This is the reason why Turkey will probably never join the EU: it s simply not in Europe, only a tiny bit of Turkey is located in Europe.

2) People saying that "if you don't like it, go to greece" are forgetting that american Capitalist corporations bare a huge responsability for this mess: GOLDMAN SACHS helped Greece to fraud its way into the EU, Greece could never have been accepted into the EU without this deception of GOLDMAN SACHS. After that Goldman then speculated against its client (Greece), worsening the situation.

Seems like Déja vu, no? Does anyone here even remember the credit crisis / housing crisis and the destructive role some of the major banks played in it? Oh yes that s right, most only remember the massive bank bailouts and think it was the "evil" government who did all of the bad stuff (I wouldn't even be surprised that in the future some will probably even claim that corporations were the salvation of the economy and not the government). Maybe you should look back real good and look twice to notice that it was maybe not the "evil" government.

I wonder if capitalists in America would also bet against the US as a country (As Goldman Sachs did with Greece)? Or didn't republicans and american banks already do that?

Also: Greece may be closer to home than you think, see California. The debt of Greece is nothing compared to the debt of California or the US debt (caused by both republican and democratic governments).

3) Germany didn't lose anything, neither did the rest of Europe won something: Germany lended money to Greece in order to save the Euro. Germany had a constitutional problem, according to the constitution it was forbidden to do what Germany has now agreed to. What happened is that Europe has won, instead of losing: a European financial crisis would be a disaster for a lot of major countries in the world (the US included). This "solidarity" saved the Euro and other countries from speculation against them (Spain and Portugal would be next in line).

Last edited:

Forum List

Back