Congratulations, Mr. President

I would probably have done much what Obama did. Where I differ from him I have the benefit of hindsight, of course.

- I would have pushed financial regulation harder.

In what regard? I mean specific to what and how? Using what model or plan?

- I would have attached more strings to the bank bailouts so that banks were actually required to lend money and therefor stimulate the economy.

Let me just play Devil's advocate here for a second. Yes I agree that the problem is not that "there is no money" it's that "the money isn't moving" and the failure of banks to lend is a big part of that. But...when you boil it all down the banks failed because they had no assets. If they start lending and people cannot repay those loans (i.e housing market), they have used their stimulus funds and still have no assets. Yes they may have properties that represent an asset, but that does them no good as those properties are generating no revenue and can't be easily converted into cash.

So how would you deal with that?

I'm afraid I don't have specifics for you (I haven't even formed my presidential exploratory committee :) ).

Fair enough. :lol:

Broadly speaking, there are a few goals I would have:

- Mitigate the moral hazard present when the implicit promise of a bailout encourages a financial entity to take bad risks. This can be done by regulating what kind of risks they can take (i.e., setting limits on leverage) and by enacting policies that limit the size of firms.

- Aggressively pursue enforcement under existing laws by giving more funds and a more aggressive mandate to the SEC.

- Make regulations focus on the types of transactions rather than the type of institution, so that an insurance firm that acted like an investment bank would essentially be regulated like a bank.

These would make it harder to do finance, but I think that's fine. While finance is important, it shouldn't be such a large sector of the economy as it is currently. Much of it serves no social good whatsoever.

Interesting and intriguing. Let me think about that for a while. I'll get back to you.

As to encouraging lending, why give money to the banks at all if they aren't going to lend it? Yes, more lending might be risky, but I think the risk would be acceptable. One reason that banks don't lend is because they expect the economy to stay depressed, and they expect that because no one is lending money. If several banks were forced to lend the economy would (hopefully) pick up and they could end up making money. Even if the lending led to risky loans that lost money I don't think the banks would have much to complain about-- after all the money they would lose would come from the government. I don't think more lending would necessarily involve bailing out underwater residential mortgages. My impression is that there were plenty of potentially good investments in other sectors that had difficulty in securing credit.

Ok. For the most part I agree, but how do you force a bank to lend? If you give them money, it's their money and an argument could be made that forcing them to lend to people who had little chance of repaying those loans is a major part of what got us into this mess to begin with. If you are going to force them to funnel it to the economy through lending why not just charter the Third Bank of the United States and do it directly? I know what my answer to that would be but I am interested in hearing yours. ;)

Last edited:
That was McCain dip shit and he was talking about American ingenuity, our workforce, etc. Embarrassing statement nonetheless given what happened next, but you might want to attribute the quote to the right person to avoid looking like an ass.

Erm..

Bush: Troubled financial system is basically sound

President Bush said Tuesday the nation's troubled financial system is "basically sound" and urged lawmakers to quickly enact legislation to prop up mortgage giants Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac.
<snip>
"I think the system is basically sound, I truly do," Bush said. "I understand there's a lot of nervousness. The economy is growing. Productivity is high. Trade's up. People are working _ it's not as good as we'd like. And to the extent that we'll find weakness, we'll move."

The "fundamentally sound" quote was McCain's. "Basically sound" was Bush. If someone is going to use a quote that means exact words from the person who said it. Technically I am correct, however the essential message is the same and I won't split hairs over it. I stand corrected.

Was our economy fundamentally or basically sound in the summer of 2008? Were the American people being bullshitted to?

Obama wasn't elected.

You were.

What would you do.

Fine...I would fire Larry Summers who is arguably the biggest shark in Washington. I would never - ever have that snake as an adviser for sh*t.
I would not have hired the tax-cheat and Wall Street buddy Tim Geithner.
Rahm Emanual - stays in Chicago with the thugs he was trained by.
I would pass emergency legislation giving temporary power to the SCOTUS to investigate the role the FED and the SEC played in the collapse, provide a detailed report and act on it.
Ben Bernanke - gone.

Return Fannie Mae to it's original role and once again outlaw it's ability to purchase private mortgages.
Raise the interest rates slowly over a 5 year period.
Ditch the practice of giving low income people education grants THAT DO NOT HAVE THE MERIT to go to college. Instead invest in vocational training and put a panel of hard conservatives in charge of it.

Invest in infrastructure to create jobs...not just talk about it...not lie about it saying I did...but actually do it, and make sure they are needed. Again place hard conservatives in charge of it and in front of the entire nation in a press conference tell them "everyone will be watching, if the least sign of corruption raises it's head it will be your heads that are cut off".

That is a good start.
I would

Okay! If I ignore the bold/red, you're off to a good start.

You trust Larry Summers????? Do you know who this rat is??

Fine...I would fire Larry Summers who is arguably the biggest shark in Washington. I would never - ever have that snake as an adviser for sh*t.
I would not have hired the tax-cheat and Wall Street buddy Tim Geithner.
Rahm Emanual - stays in Chicago with the thugs he was trained by.
I would pass emergency legislation giving temporary power to the SCOTUS to investigate the role the FED and the SEC played in the collapse, provide a detailed report and act on it.
Ben Bernanke - gone.

Return Fannie Mae to it's original role and once again outlaw it's ability to purchase private mortgages.
Raise the interest rates slowly over a 5 year period.
Ditch the practice of giving low income people education grants THAT DO NOT HAVE THE MERIT to go to college. Instead invest in vocational training and put a panel of hard conservatives in charge of it.

Invest in infrastructure to create jobs...not just talk about it...not lie about it saying I did...but actually do it, and make sure they are needed. Again place hard conservatives in charge of it and in front of the entire nation in a press conference tell them "everyone will be watching, if the least sign of corruption raises it's head it will be your heads that are cut off".

That is a good start.
I would

Okay! If I ignore the bold/red, you're off to a good start.

You trust Larry Summers????? Do you know who this rat is??

No, I don't. But what the OP said was "YOU are the President." The first thing you did was point out all the ways Obama fucked up.

Not the point.

What would I have done? The auto bailout for sure.

Nope! He should have let GM bankrupt. It would have allowed GM to restructure and renegotiate their union and lease contracts that are killing them. Bailing them out simply allowed them to perpetuate their problems.

Was our economy fundamentally or basically sound in the summer of 2008? Were the American people being bullshitted to?

To some degree of course they were being bullshitted, but you forget that Barney Frank and Chris Dodd were making the exact same kinds of statements if not worse. Need I remind you of Dodd's comments that Fannie Mae was "fundamentally strong" and Frank stating that Fannie and Freddie were "...not facing any kind of financial crisis...." and he wanted to "...roll the dice a little bit more in this situation toward subsidized housing."

You forget that politics creates reality in some cases. About a year ago Obama made some statement about how the economy was going so great while the market was tanking and unemployment had just jumped again. Well I am not going to bust his balls for that even though it was total bullshit because what is he supposed to say? "Oh we're fucked"? He can't say that. That goes on the news and everyone hears it and they say "well if we're fucked we had better save every dime we have" and then you just enhance the problem. So he has to paint a rosy picture to spur consumer confidence because that will help get the money moving around.

So yeah....politicians can make some statements at times that are clearly bullshit, everyone knows it's bullshit, and they know it's bullshit; but what else can they say?

It's January 20th, 2009. You have just been sworn in as President of the USA.

You have inherited a disaster. Keep in mind that you are whatever candidate you voted for, and you have the House and Senate he had on that date.

Hopefully you know enough about what was going on at that time that I don't need to refresh your memory. Unemployment was 7.8%, the big banks had just come undone, and the auto industry was one step from the tank.

What would you do.

This should help refresh your memory.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2008/dec/28/markets-credit-crunch-banking-2008

Obama also inherited a space program which used to put men in space before he gutted it.

Obama inherited a triple A debt rating which has since been downgraded due to his record deficit spending.

Obama inherited the the most powerful armed forces that this world has ever seen. His is dismantling it piece by piece.

Obama inherited a growing energy industry. Recent discoveries in oil, coal and natural gas give the US the worlds largest known energy reserves. Obama has proceeded to shut down drilling on offshore and on public lands, regulated the coal industry out of business and has blocked the Keystone pipeline that would create hundreds of thousands of jobs and keep our oil supply reliable.

Obama took the most tolerant, classless, multi-racial nation that the world has ever seen and he turned:
blacks against whites,
99% of our population against our most successful citizens,
people of Hispanic decent against the rest of us,
women who work at a job against women who work at home,
and Christians against health-care programs.

The following is a transcript from the Rush Limbaugh program entitled: "What Obama Inherited" . Here is the link: Rush: What Obama Inherited - The Rush Limbaugh Show

BEGIN TRANSCRIPT

Now, this business about what he inherited drives me batty. He keeps blaming it on his "predecessor." No president has ever done that. This is childish. It is immature. It's narcissistic. Let me tell you what Barack Obama "inherited," as president of the United States. Barack Obama inherited greatness. He inherited the birthplace of the individual. He inherited the defender of liberty at home and abroad, the United States of America. He inherited American exceptionalism.

He inherited the concept of equal opportunity and the right to fail and to try again. Barack Obama, as president, inherited the financial center of the world. He inherited the country that has successfully championed capitalism and widespread prosperity. Something else that President Obama also inherited: great responsibility. He inherited the great responsibility to lead the world's lone superpower. He inherited the responsibility to preserve and to strengthen free markets. He inherited the responsibility to continue the philosophy and tradition of a country founded on Judeo-Christian morals, ethics, and principles. He inherited the Constitution of the United States. He did not inherit the right to unilaterally rewrite it or to remake it. He swore to uphold it! Barack Obama did not inherit a mess.

He inherited the United States of America, where anything is possible, where greatness has been delivered to the world time after time in the form of private sector inventions, innovations, and advancements in products that improve people's lives for over 200 years. Barack Obama inherited all of that and a country of individuals energized by their liberty, individuals strengthened by their character. Barack Obama inherited a country that liberates the oppressed. Barack Obama inherited the greatest economy in the history of human civilization. That's all. Nothing more; nothing less. There is nothing to apologize for what he inherited! He may as well be a five-year-old crybaby spoiled brat. (crying) "I inherited this mess of my predecessor." He has nothing to apologize for regarding what he inherited. There is so much to be proud of in the United States of America. There's always a lot of work to be done to preserve it and to grow it, but not in the way Obama is proceeding. Obama is destroying what others before him created. He did not inherit a mess. He has created one -- and as the mess he creates deepens, so does his blaming it on his predecessors. That is gutless. It is childish. It is immature. It is unbecoming someone who serves as president of the United States.

END TRANSCRIPT

Last edited:
Actually the housing industry mess began under the CRA when bucktooth Carter put it into place. Clinton later put it on steroids.

Bush's people tried to reign it in before the collapse but your asswipes in Congress called it racist, etc.

You assholes caused the mess but then acted like it was Bush's fault. Obamination only made things worse, see the economy today.

Ah, but you must remember, he has been President all of two minutes now, so it is all his fault, and has absolutely nothing to do with the policies put in place by the previous administration.

To some degree of course they were being bullshitted, but you forget that Barney Frank and Chris Dodd were making the exact same kinds of statements if not worse. Need I remind you of Dodd's comments that Fannie Mae was "fundamentally strong" and Frank stating that Fannie and Freddie were "...not facing any kind of financial crisis...." and he wanted to "...roll the dice a little bit more in this situation toward subsidized housing."

You forget that politics creates reality in some cases. About a year ago Obama made some statement about how the economy was going so great while the market was tanking and unemployment had just jumped again. Well I am not going to bust his balls for that even though it was total bullshit because what is he supposed to say? "Oh we're fucked"? He can't say that. That goes on the news and everyone hears it and they say "well if we're fucked we had better save every dime we have" and then you just enhance the problem. So he has to paint a rosy picture to spur consumer confidence because that will help get the money moving around.

So yeah....politicians can make some statements at times that are clearly bullshit, everyone knows it's bullshit, and they know it's bullshit; but what else can they say?

To some degree? You lying sack of shit. We were on the fucking abyss.

Are you claiming that's an excuse for Bush and McCain lying out their ass?

You have inherited a disaster. Keep in mind that you are whatever candidate you voted for, and you have the House and Senate he had on that date.

Hopefully you know enough about what was going on at that time that I don't need to refresh your memory. Unemployment was 7.8%, the big banks had just come undone, and the auto industry was one step from the tank.

What would you do.

Banking Collapse of 2008: Three weeks that changed the world | Business | The Observer

Obama also inherited a space program which used to put men in space before he gutted it.

Obama inherited a triple A debt rating which has since been downgraded due to his record deficit spending.

Obama inherited the the most powerful armed forces that this world has ever seen. His is dismantling it piece by piece.

Obama inherited a growing energy industry. Recent discoveries in oil, coal and natural gas give the US the worlds largest known energy reserves. Obama has proceeded to shut down drilling on offshore and on public lands, regulated the coal industry out of business and has blocked the Keystone pipeline that would create hundreds of thousands of jobs and keep our oil supply reliable.

Obama took the most tolerant, classless, multi-racial nation that the world has ever seen and he turned:
blacks against whites,
99% of our population against our most successful citizens,
people of Hispanic decent against the rest of us,
women who work at a job against women who work at home,
and Christians against health-care programs.

The following is a transcript from the Rush Limbaugh program entitled: "What Obama Inherited" . Here is the link: Rush: What Obama Inherited - The Rush Limbaugh Show

BEGIN TRANSCRIPT

Now, this business about what he inherited drives me batty. He keeps blaming it on his "predecessor." No president has ever done that. This is childish. It is immature. It's narcissistic. Let me tell you what Barack Obama "inherited," as president of the United States. Barack Obama inherited greatness. He inherited the birthplace of the individual. He inherited the defender of liberty at home and abroad, the United States of America. He inherited American exceptionalism.

He inherited the concept of equal opportunity and the right to fail and to try again. Barack Obama, as president, inherited the financial center of the world. He inherited the country that has successfully championed capitalism and widespread prosperity. Something else that President Obama also inherited: great responsibility. He inherited the great responsibility to lead the world's lone superpower. He inherited the responsibility to preserve and to strengthen free markets. He inherited the responsibility to continue the philosophy and tradition of a country founded on Judeo-Christian morals, ethics, and principles. He inherited the Constitution of the United States. He did not inherit the right to unilaterally rewrite it or to remake it. He swore to uphold it! Barack Obama did not inherit a mess.

He inherited the United States of America, where anything is possible, where greatness has been delivered to the world time after time in the form of private sector inventions, innovations, and advancements in products that improve people's lives for over 200 years. Barack Obama inherited all of that and a country of individuals energized by their liberty, individuals strengthened by their character. Barack Obama inherited a country that liberates the oppressed. Barack Obama inherited the greatest economy in the history of human civilization. That's all. Nothing more; nothing less. There is nothing to apologize for what he inherited! He may as well be a five-year-old crybaby spoiled brat. (crying) "I inherited this mess of my predecessor." He has nothing to apologize for regarding what he inherited. There is so much to be proud of in the United States of America. There's always a lot of work to be done to preserve it and to grow it, but not in the way Obama is proceeding. Obama is destroying what others before him created. He did not inherit a mess. He has created one -- and as the mess he creates deepens, so does his blaming it on his predecessors. That is gutless. It is childish. It is immature. It is unbecoming someone who serves as president of the United States.

END TRANSCRIPT

Did you even GLANCE at the OP.

He didn't inherit a disaster; he asked for it. Then made it a worse disaster.

IN all fairness when he first started going for the job the current leadership was saying that it would be over soon and was just a little adjustment.

He and most of america were gullible enough to believe that too.

So, Obama the genius was duped by Bush the idiot... gotta love it.

:lol:

He didn't inherit a disaster; he asked for it. Then made it a worse disaster.

IN all fairness when he first started going for the job the current leadership was saying that it would be over soon and was just a little adjustment.

He and most of america were gullible enough to believe that too.

So, Obama the genius was duped by Bush the idiot... gotta love it.

So maybe Bush wasn't as stupid as the left said he was? :lol:

A little adjustment? Does that mean that Obama despite his rhetoric of calling Bush 'Un-American' stayed with Bush Doctrine because Obama is too?

As president I would invade Canada. I could have a girl scout troop ready to move and accept Canda's unconditional surrender before I'd finished my inauguration speech. Strip mine it and plug into its vast oil supply before Seelong Neon could finish singing Canada's national anthem - the Lumberjack Song, if memory serves. The debt is paid off in two weeks and no American has to do anything other than live the good life and thank God that they are an American.

What would you do.

Banking Collapse of 2008: Three weeks that changed the world | Business | The Observer

BDBoop, What world do you live in? Don't you understand that the workforce has shrunk by about 2 million jobs in the past 3 years. The workforce is still shrinking even as the unemployment rate is going down because so many people gave up looking for work. Only 87 million people are employed in today's America. That is the lowest number of available jobs since the 1980's.

Last edited:
BDBoop, What world do you live in. Don't you understand that the workforce has shrunk by about 2 million jobs in the past 3 years. The workforce is still shrinking even as the unemployment rate is going down because so many people gave up looking for work. Only 87 million people are employed in today's America. That is the lowest number of available jobs since the 1980's.

What would you do.

BDBoop, What world do you live in. Don't you understand that the workforce has shrunk by about 2 million jobs in the past 3 years. The workforce is still shrinking even as the unemployment rate is going down because so many people gave up looking for work. Only 87 million people are employed in today's America. That is the lowest number of available jobs since the 1980's.

What would you do.

In 2009 Obama had a Democratic Senate and house. Obama, Pelosi and Reed were all working together on the same agenda. They had no opposition. Obama got everything he asked for.

GM would be be stronger today if they restructured through bankrupsy and they wouldn't have a 68 billion dollar debt to hold them back

Last edited:

What would you do.

In 2009 Obama had a Democratic Senate and house. Obama, Pelosi and Reed were all working together on the same agenda. They had no opposition. Obama got everything he asked for.

GM would be be stronger today if they restructured through bankrupsy and they wouldn't have a 68 billion dollar debt to hold them back

Okay, I get it. It's like handing a 1st grader a crayon and expecting him to create a Picasso.

You're excused.

Jesus...what is it with people who raise such hell about things they obviously can't comprehend. Let me spell it out for you slowly for the logically impaired. There's what you say to the press, and then there's what you do in the background.

The President of the United States cannot go before the nation and the world and say "oh man we are so totally hosed". Pffft....are you out of your mind? No one would spend a penny for a year and if we weren't hosed we sure as hell would be at that point. So the POTUS has to say to the media "hey everything's fine...go buy something" because saying anything else will cause a catastrophe. All presidents do this. Bush did it, Obama does it weekly, Clinton did it...all of them.

Now behind the scenes they are doing different things. Bush was begging the Senate Committee on Banking, Housing and Urban Affairs and the House Financial Services Committee for years to take action warning of a total meltdown and he was blocked by Chris Dodd and Barney Frank the former of which was receiving bribes, and the latter of which was at the very least showing incredible recklessness and denial. This is a matter of record, pal. It's all right there in the records for those committees and in the numerous media articles that have been written on the topic.

Instead of whining about Bush lying to the media (I notice you aren't whining about Obama doing the same thing) which he had to do in order to avoid being the one who set off the firestorm, why don't you focus your anger at those who a) had the power to do something about it, b) were warned continuously that all hell was going to break loose, and c) refused to take action.

Now what any of this has to do with Boop's question is beyond me. I see other people (myself included) offering their plans of what they would have done. I see you whining, kicking your feet, and pounding your fists about Bush like a six year old child who can't get a snow cone. And you wonder why you got neg-repped. Good Lord.

Last edited:

Jesus...what is it with people who raise such hell about things they obviously can't comprehend. Let me spell it out for you slowly for the logically impaired. There's what you say to the press, and then there's what you do in the background.

The President of the United States cannot go before the nation and the world and say "oh man we are so totally hosed". Pffft....are you out of your mind? No one would spend a penny for a year and if we weren't hosed we sure as hell would be at that point. So the POTUS has to say to the media "hey everything's fine...go buy something" because saying anything else will cause a catastrophe. All presidents do this. Bush did it, Obama does it weekly, Clinton did it...all of them.

Now behind the scenes they are doing different things. Bush was begging the Senate Committee on Banking, Housing and Urban Affairs and the House Financial Services Committee for years to take action warning of a total meltdown and he was blocked by Chris Dodd and Barney Frank the former of which was receiving bribes, and the latter of which was at the very least showing incredible recklessness and denial. This is a matter of record, pal. It's all right there in the records for those committees and in the numerous media articles that have been written on the topic.

Instead of whining about Bush lying to the media (I notice you aren't whining about Obama doing the same thing) which he had to do in order to avoid being the one who set off the firestorm, why don't you focus your anger at those who a) had the power to do something about it, b) were warned continuously that all hell was going to break loose, and c) refused to take action.

Now what any of this has to do with Boop's question is beyond me. I see other people (myself included) offering their plans of what they would have done. I see you whining, kicking your feet, and pounding your fists about Bush like a six year old child who can't get a snow cone. And you wonder why you got neg-repped. Good Lord.

Forum List

Back