Congenital conditions

Discussion in 'Health and Lifestyle' started by waltky, Jul 17, 2012.

1. waltky

waltky Wise ol' monkey Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,873
    A painless disorder...
    :confused:
    Congenital analgesia: The agony of feeling no pain
    16 July 2012 - Steven Pete and his brother were born with the rare genetic disorder congenital analgesia. They grew up - in Washington state, US - with a sense of touch but, as he explains in his own words, without ever feeling pain.

2. koshergrl

koshergrl Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +21,169
    Pain has a purpose, it seems.

I've heard of this particular disorder before. My mom thought my older brother had it because he ran into a rose bush and a thorn went into his eye, and he didn't react. He was about 5.

As it turns out, he was just tough. We all are. But mom had had some sort of experience with a kid who had it...I think he ended up getting an infection and dying or something (that would have been the late 40s-1951 maybe). He'd get cuts and not know it, that sort of thing.

3. Luissa

Luissa Annoying Customer Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,664
    My son has low sensory threshold.. In simple terms he has a high pain tolerance.
    This effected him learning how to talk, walk up stairs, and other such issues. He doesn't know where his body is in relation to the space around him. Lucky for me I noticed there was a problem a few months before he turned two and he has been in therapy ever since.
    He does really well now, and actually does very well at school, especially When he wears a weighted vest.
    He was classified as disabled because he had three or more delays, but When they reviewed him at four he no longer had to have that classification. He still is in a special pre school program at the public school but he will be able to enter a regular kindergarten class.
    We are so lucky these days to have so much help When it comes to these sort of things.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. koshergrl

koshergrl Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +21,169
    My boy has certain issues with gait and impulse control. I refused to get him diagnosed because I didn't want those diagnoses to hang around him for the rest of his life...I had the sense with him that he could overcome those issues without having them identified and stuck in his school file...

I'm no implying everyone should do this, I did it because I didn't think labeling him, specifically, with his issues, was going to do him any good...

I'm so glad I refused to do it! He's been referred for the talented and gifted program and he's a super athlete. After he wrecked his bike, he ran to school while his sister and I rode bikes for about a week or two..and since he did that, even his gait and balance have improved 100 fold...sometimes kids just develop at different rates. Sometimes parts of them develop at different rates. I couldn't take him to church for the first 7 years of his life, he absolutely wouldn't sit still. I couldn't keep my daughter from running headlong into the road until she was 7 or so...but they're not stupid and they don't need medication. They just took longer to be able to control their running/jumping impulse.

5. Luissa

Luissa Annoying Customer Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,664
    Yeah my son will be very good at sports, kid could drop kick a ball at three. Now If he would just pick a dominate hand. Lol

6. koshergrl

koshergrl Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +21,169
    Hang in there...kids are different. I'm sad that we live in a society that tells boys there is something wrong with them if they don't fit a mold at a young age. My son falls for no apparent reason and absolutely hated running until just the last couple of months. Seriously, running along when we rode bikes improved him immediately..I don't know if it was just doing it that brought about the change, or if that coincided with a developmental leap but the change was really obvious.

But the kid who hates to run (won't race) and falls at the drop of a hat was AMAZING in basketball.

The kid who people say "omg have you had him tested for ADHD/Hyperactivity/impulse control blah blah blah blah" has been referred for testing because his teacher thinks he gifted.

I still get it. People who say stupid things like "don't give that kid sugar!" or "He's had too much sugar!" apparently think little boys are just supposed to sit on their hands and say "yes ma'am" and "no ma'am" and wait for someone to give them a pencil and paper so they can draw pictures of flowers.

That's not my boy. That's not most boys.

7. waltky

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,873
    Amazing spine surgery...
    :clap2:
    Pioneering surgery repairs girl's spine with leg bone
    7 December 2012 - Rosie Davies had a 10cm gap in her spine bridged with bone from her legs

8. waltky

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,873
    Wonder if it'll work with Alzheimer's patients?...

Iron Supplements Reduce Cognitive and Behavioral Problems in Small Babies
    December 13, 2012 - Underweight babies born deficient in iron are at risk of developing cognitive and behavioral problems, according to experts. Now, researchers have discovered that supplementing those babies' diets with iron prevents developmental problems in more than one-third of the children.

9. waltky

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,873
    New insight into Down's syndrome through brain cells grown from skin cells...
    :cool:
    Brain cells give insight into Down's syndrome
    27 May 2013 - Brain cells have been grown from skin cells of adults with Down's syndrome in research that could shed new light on the condition.

10. whitehall

whitehall Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,760
    Thank your lucky stars you weren't diagnosed in the womb.