CDZ Confusion

Lets add more confusion to the situation-

Liberal and Conservative.

The founders were classical liberals- the conservative sided with the King of Britain-

Fast forward to the early 1960's to the advent of neoliberals

ne·o·lib·er·al
/ˌnēōˈlibərəl/

Learn to pronounce

adjective
adjective: neo-liberal
relating to or denoting a modified form of liberalism tending to favor free-market capitalism.

What is Neoliberalism?

The main points of neo-liberalism include:

1. THE RULE OF THE MARKET. Liberating "free" enterprise or private enterprise from any bonds imposed by the government (the state) no matter how much social damage this causes. Greater openness to international trade and investment, as in NAFTA. Reduce wages by de-unionizing workers and eliminating workers' rights that had been won over many years of struggle. No more price controls. All in all, total freedom of movement for capital, goods and services. To convince us this is good for us, they say "an unregulated market is the best way to increase economic growth, which will ultimately benefit everyone." It's like Reagan's "supply-side" and "trickle-down" economics -- but somehow the wealth didn't trickle down very much.

2. CUTTING PUBLIC EXPENDITURE FOR SOCIAL SERVICES like education and health care. REDUCING THE SAFETY-NET FOR THE POOR, and even maintenance of roads, bridges, water supply -- again in the name of reducing government's role. Of course, they don't oppose government subsidies and tax benefits for business.

3. DEREGULATION. Reduce government regulation of everything that could diminsh profits, including protecting the environmentand safety on the job.

4. PRIVATIZATION. Sell state-owned enterprises, goods and services to private investors. This includes banks, key industries, railroads, toll highways, electricity, schools, hospitals and even fresh water. Although usually done in the name of greater efficiency, which is often needed, privatization has mainly had the effect of concentrating wealth even more in a few hands and making the public pay even more for its needs.

5. ELIMINATING THE CONCEPT OF "THE PUBLIC GOOD" or "COMMUNITY" and replacing it with "individual responsibility." Pressuring the poorest people in a society to find solutions to their lack of health care, education and social security all by themselves -- then blaming them, if they fail, as "lazy."
Looks conservative talking points to me- how can that be? Conservatives hate liberals.

Goldwater, the Conservative candidate

The Goldwater Takedown

Barry Goldwater on conservatism

I've remarked many times on these threads that the conservatives of today sound more like Bill Clinton than they do Ronald Reagan - and that's true on most issues. I am refusing to wear anybody's label.

A back and forth in a different thread prompted this. There are several things that confuse me. I'm looking for clarity. The following is just the beginning.

I pledge allegiance to the Flag of The United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation, under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.

We're expected, as sponges for brains, to recite that in school, with our little hands over our little hearts, I suppose to add gravity to the words, yet, as adults we stray from it in many ways. Why?

Not all of us believe in god. Other than that, I'm good.

A back and forth in a different thread prompted this. There are several things that confuse me. I'm looking for clarity. The following is just the beginning.

I pledge allegiance to the Flag of The United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation, under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.

We're expected, as sponges for brains, to recite that in school, with our little hands over our little hearts, I suppose to add gravity to the words, yet, as adults we stray from it in many ways. Why?
Because there are practical applications for love of God, love of country and love of family.

A pledge of allegiance should be given once in your life

Having to repeat it daily demeans it

Not all of us believe in god. Other than that, I'm good.

You do not have to believe in him, but he believes in you.

There is NO requirement to believe in God. If you take the Pledge, you have every Right to remain silent and not include God. You're still living in a country that was founded on biblical principles.

Probably don't need to worry about that.. Because reciting the Pledge daily nationwide in schools is getting pretty rare.. It's either been litigated because of God, ignored by the "hate America" faction of ed pros, or just modified to suite NEW allegiances...

Here's a version our "indoctrination opposed" leftists would just LOVE to recite every morning...

Many schools skip Pledge of Allegiance

At La Escuelita in Oakland, students say it about once a week, said fifth-grader Atziri Sanchez, who stumbled over a few words while reciting it, but had the general gist.

"It's talking about the flag and how people promise stuff and keep their word and it's talking about the United States," she said.

At San Francisco's Claire Lilienthal School, K-5 students say the Pledge of Allegiance every day, while at the city's Harvey Milk Civil Rights Academy students say a Pledge to the World: "I pledge allegiance to the world, to cherish every living thing, to care for earth and sea and air, with peace and freedom everywhere."

:rolleyes:

Ithink only half dozen states still require it.. Which is OK because if they are the SAME schools that don't teach Civics anymore -- it's meaningless and useless anyway.. Got to restore the BACKGROUND education first....

A pledge of allegiance should be given once in your life

Having to repeat it daily demeans it

Just like reciting the hymnal at church or synagogue demeans those principles??? AmIrite?? Or wouldn't you know about pledges....

Honestly, if EVERY Congress person was RE-SWORN in every year -- I DO BELIEVE it would make them think a bit....

Honestly, if EVERY Congress person was RE-SWORN in every year -- I DO BELIEVE it would make them think a bit....
I wouldn't bet on it- it's hard to think when inebriated and if they're not then they should be fired for being intellectually dishonest and stupid.

New Topics

Forum List

Back