Confused about Jesus, the crucifiction, and hatred of the Jews

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by HorhayAtAMD, Aug 30, 2005.

1. HorhayAtAMD

HorhayAtAMD Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31
    I came across this link today (thanks WJ!) and it reminded me of a serious question I've had for a very long time.
    Based on my understanding of Christianity, the crucifiction of Jesus was probably the single most important event in the Bible. If he hadn't been crucified, wouldn't this have an enormous effect on how Christians view the redemption of sins? I guess my biggest confusion is that Christians view the crucifiction as being an incredibly holy and dare I say, good event, while at the same time believing that it is the most dastardly crime ever committed. Can anyone either correct my understanding of the crucifiction or provide me with an explanation that brings sense to what seems to be mutually exclusive beliefs?

2. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    The quote is old school catholisim----there's a newer version now.

3. manu1959

manu1959 Left Coast Isolationist

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,626
    the crucifiction may well be the most important event but it does not diminsh the fact that it was a "crime" committed by the romans without justification

rising from the dead takes the prize for imortant events

4. HorhayAtAMD

HorhayAtAMD Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31
    I actually only posted those quotes so people knew the content on the other end of the link. My intention was not to pick on the Catholics or my Catholic wife would kill me. :)

Looking beyond those 2 particular quotes though, my question still stands. Even back during old school Catholicism, there must have been some official explanation for why the crucifiction was an essential event but the people behind it were evil. Even though all the mainstream Christian churches have come out with new versions, we both know that many people today still hold on to the old versions. I'm just curious how they are able to hold what I believe to be 2 incompatible beliefs about the crucifiction.

5. manu1959

manu1959 Left Coast Isolationist

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,626
    why is it not possible to say that jesus death was important yet condem the romans for killing him?

6. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    I'm Catholic, but in no way a theologian. My take: Christ chose to suffer and die. There were those that were 'jews' that contributed to his demise. There were 'Romans' and there were 'inbetweens', the last being my terminology. :thup: :thup:

In any case, from Judas, to Pilate, to those also being crucified at that point in time, God knew what was in their hearts and minds. Can't say more than that.

7. HorhayAtAMD

HorhayAtAMD Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31
    If the Romans and Jews hadn't played their roles in killing him, the crucifiction would not have happened. If the crucifiction had not happened, can someone with more knowledge of Christianity theorize as to how Christianity would be different today? It isn't exactly like we are saying "what if Jesus hadn't cured the leper", we are talking about eliminating the most important event in all of Christianity!

8. HorhayAtAMD

HorhayAtAMD Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Okay, that is a good explanation. Basically, people must be punished not for their actions, but for the intent behind those actions? Therefore, even if the end result of the actions is good, the people who did it should still be punished. Leads me to another one of my beefs: why do attempted murderers get lighter sentences than successful murderers? Seems to me that all we are doing is rewarding failure instead of punishing the intent.

9. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Maybe for the same reason that those that 'attempt suicide' get another chance from those more focused and therefore successful? :dunno:

10. USMCDevilDog

USMCDevilDog Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +42
    Honestly man, you'll never know. Christianity would be different, that's a fact, but, how? Who knows man. Ask God when you meet him, that is....if you don't sin.

I'm not religious, I don't have a religion, but I believe in what is believable. I'm bad at that, I need proof for everything, and that's not good at all, but that's how I am. I question it just like you do and I'm stumped. My best explanation is what I posted above. Hope it helps man.