Confirmed: Fracking responsible for earthquakes in Oklahoma

The EPA, which is no friend to fracking, has a study that stipulates fracking does NONE of the things you people claim it does. The freaking Obama EPA says this!

How old are the EPA's studies? Do you have an EPA link that is as current as my OP link which is dated April 1, 2015 9:34 am?

They were released last year.

Fracking Study by EPA shows no water is in danger in United States - Orlando News Examiner.com
Wait, are you telling me you trust the EPA, and it's still outdated to his.

The EPA, which is no friend to fracking, has a study that stipulates fracking does NONE of the things you people claim it does. The freaking Obama EPA says this!

How old are the EPA's studies? Do you have an EPA link that is as current as my OP link which is dated April 1, 2015 9:34 am?

Fracking Study by EPA shows no water is in danger in United States - Orlando News Examiner.com

The article shows a date of:
July 11, 2013 9:54 AM MST

Not quite as recent as my article.......perhaps EPA hasn't posted their latest opinion?

Not quite as recent as my article.......perhaps EPA hasn't posted their latest opinion?

Their newest report isn't due out till 2016.

OK then let's see you drink a glass of the stuff. I bet even if you put that used water thru a Bill Gates water treatment device, He would balk at drinking it. Would you?

Their newest report isn't due out till 2016.
So, how do you know that they still support that fracking does none of the things my OP confirms?

Hey everyone

Walking across the street MIGHT get you killed. so knock it off. fly instead..:eusa_doh:

What an idiot. I guess if it happened where you live you might be singing a different tune....or not, you're too ignorant to know any better.

Listen up dear. I lived in Alaska for 15 years. the State that has the MOST earthquakes of even California. Went thought a 7.9 earthquake OMG and lived.

YOU?

I live in California, thus I have personal experiences with earthquakes, big and small.

Fracking in California Questions and Concerns

California Fracking Regulations CAFrackFacts

Oil Gas and Fracking in California Clean Water Action

Not that I expect the willfully ignorant and others, like Stephanie, to read and consider the consequences, but most Californians treasure clean water over oil. Seems like a sane choice, which may explain why the Stephanies of the world support the oil and coal industries desire for unfettered rights and oppose interfering regulations in their quest for money,

Yes Stephanie, there is more at stake than a simple earthquake, and as we can see on the news today, some earthquakes are not so simple,

How about you post some links to the effects of MTBE on ground water that the State of California mandated be added to gasoline. We have nearly 60 years of experience with fracking. The EPA, which is no friend to fracking, has a study that stipulates fracking does NONE of the things you people claim it does. The freaking Obama EPA says this!

Time for you to adhere to your advice there buckwheat.

Shall I respond by citing Love Canal, or other Superfund sites? It seems to be the policy of those on the right to respond with non sequiturs whenever - which is often - they cannot respond to an issue which challenges their beliefs (or job or profit).

No one knows how pumping cancer causing chemicals into the ground might effect drinking water or even vegetables, but only an idiot would drink well water or eat vegetables which might be polluted by the process you deem harmless.

No one knows how pumping cancer causing chemicals into the ground might effect drinking water or even vegetables, but only an idiot would drink well water or eat vegetables which might be polluted by the process you deem harmless.

The potable water wells are nowhere near as deep as where the fracking / reinjection of the wastewater takes place. Not close. Neither are the roots of vegetables. LOL

This one is dated 2013......the confirmation that fracking causes earthquakes is dated 2015. So, the article claims that contaminated water is being clean and recycled but that is not the problem that the OP is addressing, which is "earthquakes".

Shift Towards Recycling Waste Water
This one is dated "Published: 09 August 2014 10:57 PM" - also the article mentions this:

the water is typically pumped into disposal wells thousands of feet underground. All the while, hydraulic fracturing operations pull billions of gallons of fresh water a year from aquifers that also supply water to cities and farms.

Doesn't anyone care at all that we are depleting our water resources?

This one is dated:
Also, older than the OP article. The article is about cleaning up the water that is being used for fracking.....so in essence this the same as the first link and about how they are recycling the same water.....but, this does nothing to alleviate the earthquakes that are caused by the water being put into the wells....which is what the OP is about.

I've been in Alaska for 42 years, we have 4-5's fairly regularly - they don't hurt our house one bit, in fact, at worst they sway the dining room light and make the dogs cuddly for a few minutes.

That said, a buddy of mine is a geologist from CA and he was saying something about the type of rock and how that impacted the "felt force" of quakes and possible danger of damage. I presume that the water put back in has a different density than the nat. gas/oil taken out yeah? Why not just add something to the re-injected water to resolve the density differences, that /should/ get rid of any "man-made" quakes, right? (I think I'll have to bring up that question with my buddy heh)

Difference places have different building standards too. Like Alaska has a standard of like no more than 13 (or 15 maybe) stories on a building because of earthquake danger, etc. The houses are built different, the ground reacts to shaking and liquefaction different, all of it plays a part in the danger of earthquakes in any specific area.

Also, just for the record, Alaska doesn't have more quakes because it's "HUGE" it's because it's located in the "Ring of Fire" where the Pacific plate is subducting (aka pushed under) the North American plate.

I might also point to the fact that the North American Plate is still "recovering" from the weight of the last ice age which is bound to cause some non-plate boundary quakes too, those would be "normal" and not "man-made". (Research Great Lakes are rising in elevation for the gist of the research.)

The potable water wells are nowhere near as deep as where the fracking / reinjection of the wastewater takes place. Not close. Neither are the roots of vegetables. LOL

Thanks so much for sharing your opinion. And of course you are free to drink such water and provide it and any veggies to your family as you deem it safe. I'll pass.

And where is this? Can you account for the fracking in the entire United States?

And it's posing a highly underreported threat to our food supply and security and to our families' health.

Where I live in the Northeast, local produce and meat from the neighboring state of Pennsylvania is a common sight, not only at our local farmers' market but also in our local grocery stores. But a disturbing fact recently presented to me by a dear friend has given me pause about some of these local foods. In hushed conversation, my friend told me she no longer buys food from certain counties in Pennsylvania where she knows fracking is in full swing. She also told me that many of her friends and colleagues in the anti-fracking movement, in particular some of her friends in the food service business, are making similar food choices. Because of anecdotal accounts and a small but growing number of scientific studies, they sadly feel that the air and water quality in certain areas, due to fracking and fracking waste (the liquid product that comes back out of the ground once fracking occurs), has been compromised to such an extent that food grown in these areas could be a significant health hazard.

How Fracking Affects Your Farmer s Market Maria Rodale

The Marcellus Effect Fracking the Farm Part 1 Shale Gas Drilling Divides PA Organic Community

Fracking Our Food Supply The Nation

What is fracking Food Water Watch

Thanks for the link.....shows that fracking is at the center of all these earthquakes....regardless of what function of the fracking is responsible.

from your link:
PASADENA, Calif. — New earthquake hazard maps signal a watershed moment: They show that fracking's byproducts are clearly to blame for swarms of earthquakes plaguing several states.

Fracking is definitely causing earthquakes, another study confirms
By John Light on 7 Jan 2015

Studies have found that it’s not just the actual drilling and extraction that causes the earthquakes; more often, the routine practice of injecting fracking wastewater into deep disposal wells is to blame. Once the toxic mix of water, sand, and chemicals is underground, it can travel for miles, changing the pressure on fault lines and sometimes triggering earthquakes.
Fracking is definitely causing earthquakes another study confirms Grist

New Topics

Forum List

Back