Confederate POW Camp Found in Georgia

random3434

Jun 29, 2008
It housed up to 10,000 Union Soldiers, a student just discovered it in Savannah.

Interesting!

SAVANNAH, Ga. — Preserved for nearly 150 years, perhaps by its own obscurity, a short-lived Confederate prison camp began yielding treasures from the Civil War almost as soon as archeologists began searching for it in southeastern Georgia.

They found a corroded bronze buckle used to fasten tourniquets during amputations, a makeshift tobacco pipe with teeth marks in the stem, and a picture frame folded and kept after the daguerreotype it held was lost.

Georgia officials say the discoveries, announced Wednesday, were made by a 36-year-old graduate student at Georgia Southern University who set out to find Camp Lawton for his thesis project in archaeology.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38758352/ns/technology_and_science-science/?gt1=43001

It housed up to 10,000 Union Soldiers, a student just discovered it in Savannah.

Interesting!

SAVANNAH, Ga. — Preserved for nearly 150 years, perhaps by its own obscurity, a short-lived Confederate prison camp began yielding treasures from the Civil War almost as soon as archeologists began searching for it in southeastern Georgia.

They found a corroded bronze buckle used to fasten tourniquets during amputations, a makeshift tobacco pipe with teeth marks in the stem, and a picture frame folded and kept after the daguerreotype it held was lost.

Georgia officials say the discoveries, announced Wednesday, were made by a 36-year-old graduate student at Georgia Southern University who set out to find Camp Lawton for his thesis project in archaeology.

Georgia archaeologists find Confederate POW camp - Technology & science - Science - msnbc.com

Very interesting. If you ever get to Charleston visit the Hunley.

Interesting!

Georgia archaeologists find Confederate POW camp - Technology & science - Science - msnbc.com

Very interesting. If you ever get to Charleston visit the Hunley.

I love all the Civil War places in the South, my dad took us all every year touring all the places all over the south, he was a HUGE History Buff!

Would love to get back down there someday.................

Interesting!

Did they find anyone alive?

:clap2:
Thanks, EZ one :D

I'd like to know exactly where that is.
I went through middle school and high school in and around Savannah.
Our scout master used to take us hiking and camping, behind the community we lived in, with a metal detector.
We'd find bullets, belt buckles, canteens, etc....

Have you seen Jefferson Davis' monument, Echo?
I stumbled upon it by accident a few years ago. It's worth the drive off the interstate.

Our scout master used to take us hiking and camping, behind the community we lived in, with a metal detector.

I stumbled upon it by accident a few years ago. It's worth the drive off the interstate.

I can't remember all the stuff my dad took me to. Someday I need to scan those pics and post them somewhere, lots of interesting places, and because of my dad I have a love for history too, and so does my daughter!

I can't remember all the stuff my dad took me to. Someday I need to scan those pics and post them somewhere, lots of interesting places, and because of my dad I have a love for history too, and so does my daughter!
It's cool how it closely resembles Washington's
Jefferson-Davis-Monument-1.jpg

KYFAIdavis_obeliskv.jpg

Fairview, KY
:cool:

It's cool how it closely resembles Washington's
Jefferson-Davis-Monument-1.jpg

KYFAIdavis_obeliskv.jpg

Fairview, KY
:cool:

Have you been there? All the stone was quarried out of a place in the ground that new looks like a small pond.

Shiloh and Fort Donaldson, both in TN are within driving distance.

Have you been there? All the stone was quarried out of a place in the ground that new looks like a small pond.

Shiloh and Fort Donaldson, both in TN are within driving distance.
Yep.
I was just telling Echo how pathetically small the brown historical sign, by the interstate, is.
In fact I have a +/- half pound chunk of that stone on a shelf in my living room :D

Back on topic of Savannah.

Boy Scouts used to hold our Camporees/Jamborees here, at Ft. Polaski, in Savannah
20060828133632.jpg

Fort Pulaski National Monument (U.S. National Park Service)

Interesting!

Camp Douglas Civil War Prison

Way cool.

I just love this kinda stuff. Its like opening a window to the past. Super

I was doing some family research and traced an ancestor who spent time in Libby prison in Richmond. Like all Confederate prisons, conditions were horrific and a large percent died due to disease and malnutrition.

Not that the South was intentionally inhumane but they had tens of thousands of prisoners that they did not know what to do with. They had a hard enough time feeding their soldiers and civilian population. There was also little knowledge of sanitation and disease control

I had family that froze to death at the yankee prison at Point Lookout.

The Southern pow camps (NOTE NOT IN THIS THREAD...yet) are damned for their treatment of prisoners, yet as Rightwinger pointed out, they were without means to do much better. The north didn't have this excuse.

Early in the war, there was an active practice of paroling and exchanging pows, eliminating the need for keeping such camps. Lincoln shut it down.

New Topics

Forum List

Back