Confederate Flag: Symbol of ?

Most whites perceive the flag as a symbol of treason.

Speaking as a lifelong Californian, I see a great dichotomy in the perception of the Confederate Flag between White and Black Americans. For my Black friends, it seems to be a symbol of slavery, segregation, discrimination and racism. For my White friends, it is a symbol of Civil War military battles, moonshine and backwoods shenanigans a la the Dukes of Hazard.

I wonder if these divergent views will ever be reconciled. :confused:

Even in its best connotation the Confederate Flag symbolizes a revolution to preserve the right to own other people

Clean Debate Zone The Clean Debate Zone is to be used for the clean debating of Government Policies, Candidates, Current News and Events ONLY. No personal attacks, name calling, flaming etc is allowed in this section.

Ah! that's why I don't come here much lol...

Oh and I see the flag as a symbol of resistance to tyranny. Every time I see the stars and bars my heart skips a beat and I feel a great sense of joy and pride in my chest....I will NEVER pledge allegiance to the US flag I will always pledge allegiance to the stars and bars.I have to teach my daughter this as well since she is in school now they are ramming this garbage down her throat about pledging allegiance to some country that occupies our country.

I bet the other kids picked on you a lot when you were a kid

confederate1.jpg

Yup the KKK is essentially irrelevant today, but let's examine the darlings of the left, the OWS crowd.

OWS-flag-burn-550x366.jpg

How many people did OWS lynch?

how many people still alive in the kkk actually participate in a lynching?

The point is the symbology of the Confederate Flag. How many Jews are left from the concentration camps? Yet the swastika is still not accepted

Please try to keep up

The Battle Flag is more about history and heritage than any hope that "The South shall rise again" mentality.
I own one, but only rarely display it and never without giving the US flag a more prominent position.

How many people did OWS lynch?

The point is the symbology of the Confederate Flag. How many Jews are left from the concentration camps? Yet the swastika is still not accepted

Please try to keep up

I get what your saying, but you are placing a strict meaning on something where a strict meaning is not indicated, which is where your argument breaks down. Like I said before, In PA if your a fan of country music, music that mostly celebrates the southern way of life, you have a confederate flag on your truck and or jeep. That is what it means to some people.

I am from Georgia, and the confederate flag absolutely stands for discrimination. The only people who proudly display it in my native state are racists, KKK members and neo-nazis. This is why we voted to change the flag some years ago. The only place this flag belongs is in a museum or a civil war battle re-enactment. Period.

Last edited:
Hahaha, no doubts here about east Texas being part of the south. And I have seen the deliverence parts of the south. My cousins live in kentucky, I almost got my head blown off pulling up to the wrong house, thank god I was on the phone with my cousins and they zipped over and calmed their neighbors down. But when people up here, hear that I from Texas they assume I am a hic, and ask questions about it, and I just laugh and say "dude, I am from Ft. Worth, its a pretty wealthy area and its nothing like that."
Look at the bright side. At least they didn't turn the dogs loose.

But in PA, like I said before I see way too many confederate flags. I cant drive 5 miles without seeing one. Basically if you are a fan of country music up here, then chances are you are going to put a confederate flag somewhere on your truck or jeep. And If you listen to country music, like 80% of it is praising the southern way if living. Up here thats what the confederate flag means to them, they enjoy the sourthern way of living. And the black people (outside of philly at least) dont have a problem with that at all. They see it all the time up here, and what it means to them is those people enjoy the southern way of living.

I'd agree that being a NASCAR fan and liking the "Dukes of Hazard" does not a racist make. Especially if they deer hunt. Ten years or so ago I kept a small notebook in my car and kept track of what people driving pickup trucks had in the rear window gun rack. First place was a near tie between umbrellas and fishing gear. Third was levels and assorted construction tools. Then it dawned on me. Only an idiot would leave a gun in plain sight where it could be stolen so easily.

Please try to keep up

The Battle Flag is more about history and heritage than any hope that "The South shall rise again" mentality.
I own one, but only rarely display it and never without giving the US flag a more prominent position.

Well then you know your proper times. I love it.

I know I am weird but for the life of me I would never betray either of our countries.

The flag that so many use as the "battle flag" was not a battle flag.

My father actually thought that a great idea as a family plan was to go to Gettysburg so I could witness this as a recreation of the coming together of America. I really thought my Baba was going to puke her guts out at the recreation of an amputation on the battlefield.

This is the same wonderous father who dragged me around Washington DC and climbed the needle with me.
No one will understand the flag will they?

Last edited:
I am from Georgia, and the confederate flag absolutely stands for discrimination. The only people who proudly display it in my native state are racists, KKK members and neo-nazis. This is why we voted to change the flag some years ago. The only place this flag belongs is in a museum or a civil war battle re-enactment. Period.

I hate liars like you. Tell me your county tell me your lies. :eusa_clap: Too funny.

Please try to keep up

I loved my dad to death. Now don't get me wrong but he'd take me on these "historical" vacations And I love him for what he taught me. Oh you have no idea how much he loved me and how many tours I took..

My father loved me so much I know half the FBI building by rote. Not kidding.

omygosh that dosent sound right at all.

you have to understand there was no stuff going on like today. I think my dad and me were down three levels just being canucks aka idiots at the best of time we are always idiots

Last edited:
Speaking as a lifelong Californian, I see a great dichotomy in the perception of the Confederate Flag between White and Black Americans. For my Black friends, it seems to be a symbol of slavery, segregation, discrimination and racism. For my White friends, it is a symbol of Civil War military battles, moonshine and backwoods shenanigans a la the Dukes of Hazard.

I wonder if these divergent views will ever be reconciled. :confused:

It will in time. In the scheme of things, it really was not that long ago. To me, its just a flag.

Actually a pretty good question. In the 50's, 60's, and early 70's white resistance in the South was led by White Citizen's Councils where "respectable" segregationists in public office and the business community tried to slow or reverse desegregation. The local muscle to rough up Freedom Riders and shoot into occupied houses and burn churches was delegated to the Klan. In a typical Southern county the White Citizens Council normally included the Sheriff, Chief of Police, Mayor, President of the Bank, County Superintendent of Schools and so forth. The Chief Deputy was often the Klan head, supported by all the good ol' boys he went to school with.

The Tuskegee Institute has recorded 3,446 blacks and 1,297 whites were lynched between 1882 and 1968. The last full public lynching in the South was probably Emmett Till in Mississippi in 1955. After that, people were killed (Goodman, Chaney, and Schwerner in 1964 for example) in racially motivated slayings, but these more nearly resembled assassinations or mob hits rather than traditional lynchings. In the decade from 2000 to 2009 a number of high profile cases which had ended in hung juries were retried and convictions obtained.

So to answer, there are probably two or three dozen inmates in prison today serving long sentences for racially motivated murder, attempted murder, arson, and similar violent
crimes. I believe six of them are there for trying to kill Morris Dees. To the best of my knowledge, all of them were members of the KKK or a successor white supremacy organization such as Aryan Nation, or had close ties to such organizations. The traditional meeting place is the Stormfront.org website.

Forum List

Back