Confederacy not as bad?

Discussion in 'Education' started by bthoma91, Apr 23, 2009.

1. bthoma91

bthoma91 NObama

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I've been seriously thinking about the civil war and the circumstances that led to the confederacy breaking the Union. I grew up as thinking South bad - North good, but my mind is changing. Where are States Right anymore, now i know how they feel. Yea Slavery was wrong and I'm more than glad it was abolished, but as for states rights, who was really right and who was really in the wrong.

Tell me your opinion.

2. Jon

Jon The CPA

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,281
    The South was right on states' right, which was the real issue with the Civil War. Slavery would have been abolished eventually, even if the South had won the war. What the Civil War did was mark the beginning of the end of states' rights. Obama's election seems to be the end of the end of states' rights.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. Iriemon

Iriemon VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +99
    What is so wonderful about state's rights?

Are you an American or a Marylander first?

But it is a good question. We have as a nation supported secession movements when it was in our best interest. Panama is a classic example. Yet not when it was a part of our nation that wanted to succeed.

American has unfortunately had a lot of double standards when it comes to rules that we think should apply to other nations as opposed to what we think should apply to us.

The waterboarding torture thing is just the most recent example.

4. Jon

Jon The CPA

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,281
    States are a more localized form of government and, in most cases, well catered to the citizens who live within the state. Those citizens are able to build the laws to suit their way of life, and such ways of life may not apply to even their neighboring states. In a country with as many differing opinions as the USA, it's impossible to come up with a set of laws that satisfy everyone. That's why the states were given the right to govern their people to begin with, but the federal laws are beginning to overshadow states' rights.

5. Immanuel

Immanuel Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,224
    I'd say that as in many if not most conflicts there is a little bit of "truth" in both sides of the argument. The South was right on state's rights, but very, very wrong on slavery.

As for the Union, well, state's rights is a "grey" (no pun intended) area and the Union fought not only to defend what they perceived as state rights, but also to defend the federal union and in regards to slavery, well, it is perceived that the union was against slavery when, in fact, had it not been for succession, the North would have been content to allow slavery to continue in the Southern states.

So, although, you might have been raised, North Good--South Bad, there was a little bit of Good and Bad on both sides.

Immie

6. Mad Scientist

Mad Scientist Deplorable Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,676
    You've turned a discussion about states right in to one about torture.

Why?

7. Kevin_Kennedy

Kevin_Kennedy Defend Liberty

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,015
    Both sides were wrong on the issue of slavery. Too many people forget that there were five slave states that remained in the Union, and they remained slave states until after the Civil War. The fact is that the Confederacy had every right to secede and Lincoln subverted the Constitution to force them back into the Union.

8. Newby

Newby Does it get any better? Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,703
    You need a history lesson. Start with the Constitution and the federalist papers.

9. Newby

Newby Does it get any better? Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,703

Yes, states rights are very important to maintaining the equal balance of power in this country and to keep the feds from getting out of control, as they are right now.

10. Sinatra

Sinatra Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,005

Because it is morally convenient for her to do so?

Plus, she assures us she works with "hardcore" gang members.

So that alone justifies the wayward logic, no?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1