Condi's Making Progress

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/02/05/i...00&en=ed9acd3f8f935f3f&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt

Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice, pressing her effort to improve relations with Europe, drew a promise on Friday from Chancellor Gerhard Schröder of Germany to do more to help with Iraq and a warm endorsement of President Bush's call for democracy in Iran.

Earlier, she sought to assuage fears that the United States intended to attack Iran, a day after she rebuffed a European request to join negotiations over the country's nuclear program.

[...]

In Tehran on Friday, Ms. Rice's sharply worded remarks were castigated as fresh proof of the Bush administration's enmity and set off suspicion of the Europeans in their negotiations with Iran to halt its uranium enrichment activities in exchange for potential rewards.

In the Friday Prayer sermon at Tehran University, Ayatollah Ahmed Janati, the head of Iran's powerful Guardian Council, declared that Iran was under threat not only from the United States but also from Britain. "The people and the government should take these threats seriously," he said.

He spoke of a conspiracy by the British officials involved in the nuclear talks to make Iran give up its nuclear technology gradually for little reward. "They are masters of deception, cunning and trickery," he said, calling Britain "the father of the Great Satan," the term used by Iranian hard-liners for the United States. "If they can, they will just give us a candy as sweetener."

Lord knows I like Condi Rice but the truth is she will likely have zero effect and possibly negative effect on issues in the middle east.

She is a woman, they do not respect woman in a position of power and while they will listen to her they will do behind her back what they did to Albright......laugh and say how weak we are for sending a woman there to negotiate with them. I'm not saying its right i'm just saying its a fact.

OCA said:
Lord knows I like Condi Rice but the truth is she will likely have zero effect and possibly negative effect on issues in the middle east.

She is a woman, they do not respect woman in a position of power and while they will listen to her they will do behind her back what they did to Albright......laugh and say how weak we are for sending a woman there to negotiate with them. I'm not saying its right i'm just saying its a fact.

Albright deserved to be laughed at. Margaret Thatcher did not and wasn't. I think Condi is in the later group.

Kathianne said:
Albright deserved to be laughed at. Margaret Thatcher did not and wasn't. I think Condi is in the later group.

You forget, Thatcher didn't deal with these guys but they would've laughed at her just the same. Its not the woman that matters, it will be any woman. This is a total patriarchial(sp?) society they've got going.

OCA said:
You forget, Thatcher didn't deal with these guys but they would've laughed at her just the same. Its not the woman that matters, it will be any woman. This is a total patriarchial(sp?) society they've got going.
You may be right, time will tell.

Arafat and ...the name escapes me now of the Israeli P.M. the one who was assassinated...anyway they never did squat until they were face to face with Bubba. Its because they do not respect women like we do.

OCA said:
Arafat and ...the name escapes me now of the Israeli P.M. the one who was assassinated...anyway they never did squat until they were face to face with Bubba. Its because they do not respect women like we do.
Menachan Begin and Anwar Sadat from Egypt?

Oh yeah, many of us are overwhelmed by the respect of so many American males. :smoke:

Kathianne said:
Menachan Begin and Anwar Sadat from Egypt?

Oh yeah, many of us are overwhelmed by the respect of so many American males. :smoke:

No that was with Carter. The one where Arafat shook hands albeit begrudgingly with the Israeli, the one where Clinton had to practically take the two hands and lock them together.

OCA said:
No that was with Carter. The one where Arafat shook hands albeit begrudgingly with the Israeli, the one where Clinton had to practically take the two hands and lock them together.
Found it! Rabin! (Stuff like that makes my head hurt.) :dunno:

Kathianne said:
Found it! Rabin! (Stuff like that makes my head hurt.) :dunno:

Yitzhak Rabin I had and I thought he was P.M. now......oh hell it just hit me that is Ariel Sharon. Maybe if I was a Jew...............

OCA said:
This is going to come across as a sarcastic and rude response but it honestly isn't meant as one: Israel has had more female Prime Ministers than the US has had female Presidents. I am not saying this to suggest that Israelis respect women more than Americans do but I think it helps to counter your assertion that they respect women less. I agree that the fundamentalist Muslim countries in the region have EXTREMELY poor attitudes towards women but don't lump Israel in with that group just because they are neighbors.

HorhayAtAMD said:
This is going to come across as a sarcastic and rude response but it honestly isn't meant as one: Israel has had more female Prime Ministers than the US has had female Presidents. I am not saying this to suggest that Israelis respect women more than Americans do but I think it helps to counter your assertion that they respect women less. I agree that the fundamentalist Muslim countries in the region have EXTREMELY poor attitudes towards women but don't lump Israel in with that group just because they are neighbors.

Ok I should've said Arabs and the like over there. The Israelis I think of has being more European like and I think thats where 99% of them immigrated from since there were like 10 Jews in Palestine before the creation of Israel.

Forum List

Back