Condeleeza Rice to take Powell's place!!

CSM said:
I should also point out that Wallace was primarily a Democrat though he did run as a candidate for the American Independent Party in 1968, winning about 12% of the vote. His style of conservatism had more to do with segregation than anything else. All in all, Wallace ran for president 4 times; three times as a Democrat and once as a third party candidate.

Yes, and here perhaps is a problem with these black and white left/right labels.

The socio-political spectrum is not a simple one axis line of left through right, but a 3 axis graph, depicting a axis of personal freedom, one of governmental responsibility, and one of social morality (i.e. religion).

If you are "right", someone is not "left" just because they don't agree with you on certain issues. And dismissing some one as "left" is often nothing more than a thinly veiled ad hominem.

manu1959 said:
why ? you come here and stereotype all of us as right wing, pro life, zero government, death from above neo cons

No I didn't and I stated so much in several posts in several threads.

A

CivilLiberty said:
No I didn't and I stated so much in several posts in several threads.

A

actually i just re- read your posts and could not find such a staement but i will give you the benifit of the doubt as i have no reason to belive you would lie.

yes i was well aware of the potential pun...funny how you were the only one to bite.....neo con's are not necessariliy religiously driven in their decision making

CivilLiberty said:
Yes, and here perhaps is a problem with these black and white left/right labels.

The socio-political spectrum is not a simple one axis line of left through right, but a 3 axis graph, depicting a axis of personal freedom, one of governmental responsibility, and one of social morality (i.e. religion).

If you are "right", someone is not "left" just because they don't agree with you on certain issues. And dismissing some one as "left" is often nothing more than a thinly veiled ad hominem.

You libertarians and constitutionalists have just learned to wrap your antiamerican crap in the flag. You're just as out of touch and dangerous as a standard lib. Isolationism is not realistic in a nuclear era. And the world needs a general policeman unfortunately, and the U.N. ain't cutting it, due to lack of moral clarity.

You're just another fake conservative, faker.

Bonnie said:
And yes LBJ was the biggest liberal, and was the one who micromanaged the Vietnam War so badly that we lost 50,000 men.......Amazing how that fact gets overlooked..

I don't overlook it - and I also don't overlook his disastrous domestic policies that leapt America into the "nanny state" mentality.

Bonnie said:
I dissagree with your assessment that fundamentalism and Christianity are so different. Fundamentalism is a word that gets tossed around much like Neocon in an attempt to pigeionhole any religious person into thinking they are losing touch with the mainstream, and should somehow re-thing their beleifs lest be left behind by modern enlightened society.

For that matter, "labels" in general get overused, and mean different things to different people. When I think of fundamentalists I think of:

http://www.defendthefamily.com/
http://www.bju.edu/letter

I don't know any Christians that consider themselves even remotely like these people.

Regards

Andy

CivilLiberty said:
I don't overlook it - and I also don't overlook his disastrous domestic policies that leapt America into the "nanny state" mentality.

For that matter, "labels" in general get overused, and mean different things to different people. When I think of fundamentalists I think of:

http://www.defendthefamily.com/
http://www.bju.edu/letter

I don't know any Christians that consider themselves even remotely like these people.

Regards

Andy

What is so extreme about "those people"?

manu1959 said:
actually i just re- read your posts and could not find such a staement but i will give you the benifit of the doubt as i have no reason to belive you would lie.

They are buried mainly in that vote fraud thread.

manu1959 said:
yes i was well aware of the potential pun...funny how you were the only one to bite.....neo con's are not necessariliy religiously driven in their decision making

I bit because I like puns... And yes I agree that neocons are not necessarily driven by religion, though that has become a segment of the neocon demographic.

A

CivilLiberty said:
They are buried mainly in that vote fraud thread.
I bit because I like puns... And yes I agree that neocons are not necessarily driven by religion, though that has become a segment of the neocon demographic.
A

fair enough

voter fraud....thats redundant.... always has been

i trust you mean the religious neocon demographic as defined by media exit polls and the nightly news not as neo cons actually define themselves

it is odd that the media and others allways try a put sweeping lables one everyone so they can sound bite their accusations

CL, It's a mistake to assume that so called "fundamentalist" attitudes are held only by "fundamentalists". all their emphasis on the family is due to a recognition of the fact that the family has been the values transference mechanism for all human societies. Sets of values (rules) have shown to have value, even in the secular world, wouldn't you agree?

Many of the things which you may think are ONLY biblically based also have strong SCIENTIFIC support.

For instance, perhaps you feel it's old fashioned and ignorant for a woman to forego a career. However, 30 year studies have shown the devastating general impacts of daycare on families with two working parents. So we all make choices.

rtwngAvngr said:
For instance, perhaps you feel it's old fashioned and ignorant for a woman to forego a career. However, 30 year studies have shown the devastating general impacts of daycare on families with two working parents. So we all make choices.

excellent point

a majority of the children i have come into contact with coaching youth soccer for the past 20 years have proven to me that all the discipline cases are from daycare families with two working parents i have watched these same children become young adults that show no sign of any self responsibility or acountability for thier actions.....everything is always someone else fault....i was cheated, they made me do it...sound familiar

manu1959 said:
i have watched these same children become young adults that show no sign of any self responsibility or acountability for thier actions...

Would you say they become walking little responsibility vacuums, sucking the power of government into their lives?

theim said:
I have cracked the new liberal lingo:

neocon = Republican
"real" Republican = Democrat

Yep. You got it.

and liberal= undefined. "That's a label made up by the vast right wing conspiracy."

Defend the family in your estimation is an example of fundamentalist ideology?????

Please cite something on that site for me to reference as a fundamentalist persuasion, so that I may understand your point, and how it is any different than christianity?

And this is all the libs will do for four years now. Smear christians. That's the play, and it will fail.

Bonnie said:
Defend the family in your estimation is an example of fundamentalist ideology?????
Please cite something on that site for me to reference as a fundamentalist persuasion, so that I may understand your point, and how it is any different than christianity?

I'm not aware of Christianity (that is, religions that follow the teachings of Christ) preaching hatred or intolerance toward any particular group.

This seems to be one of the factors that separate "Christians" from "Fundamentalist Christians".

Abiding Truth Ministries is run by a homophobe outside of Sacramento, and they basically preach intolerance toward gay persons:

http://www.defendthefamily.com/pflc/rescue.php

They've come into my forum at ACL, flooding with post after post of vitriolic hate eMail based on their beliefs.

They identify themselves as "evangelical" Christians - I class them as fundamentalists, along with other groups that use their religion as an excuse to preach intolerance.

While we can banter about the semantics of the term, colloquially it has developed this meaning in these contexts.

Regards

Andy

So if I understand correctly you believe what seperates Fundamentalism from Christianity is hatred?

Where do you draw the line between hatred and taking a moral stand? In other words my church (catholic) has no hate for Homosexuals, but they also don't embrace the lifestyle as right, and they do preach that it is wrong...Is that hateful? What i saw on the website Defend the family was concerned parents who do not wish to have their children indoctrinated to any beliefs other than what they the parents deemed appropriate. Thats very different than encouraging your children to go out and assault someone who is gay or anything else.

dilloduck said:
So you accept Ron Pauls' assesments as your own? Do you mirror all of his statements or is he wrong about some things?

I don't necessarily accept everything Ron (or Larry Elder) says. And I definitely don't "parrot" the Libertarian platform.

As you said before - it's about where you draw the line. The Libertarians are about small government, constitutional protections, personal liberty - but they miss the boat on some issues.

A

Forum List

Back