concord becomes first city to ban bottled water

We did the whole Pur walter filter thing. They are designed to break. Period. We got tired of it and drink tons of water so we bought a Culligan under the sink water filter. Because we are plumbing disabled we called a plumber to put it in . . . which, after seeing what he did, was a stupid thing to do it was so easy but . . . hey. We replace the filter every 5-6 months (vs. every 2 months w/the Pur filter) so the price runs about the same. Worth every dime, imo. We keep a gallon jug (yeah, plastic ... can't find glass anywhere) in the fridge. We do buy bottled water by the case only for work for the kid or hubs (he did buy a stainless bottle but it makes the water taste metallic).

Amazon.com: Culligan US-EZ-4 EZ-Change Level-4 Under-Sink Drinking Water System: Home Improvement
And sweats like hell, too

This whole 'ban stuff we disagree with' creeps me out. Slippery slope. Are people not capable of just not buying it?

This whole 'ban stuff we disagree with' creeps me out. Slippery slope. Are people not capable of just not buying it?

To me it seems silly to ban bottled water. It's a bit more palatable if its the people voting to do it instead of government caving in to some small radical environmental group or something like that, but I dislike bans of perfectly good, harmless stuff too.

However, I suppose we need to tolerate that if we accept the idea of people governing themselves and forming whatever society they wish to have. And different folks ban all sorts of stuff: strip clubs, adult bookstores, liquor stores, etc. in their communities, and I think we should respect that.

Carmel CA used to have a ban on ice cream cones outside of buildings. They didn't want drips on the walks and streets. :)

The most popular bottled water brands are just purified tap water anyway.

I firmly believe that drinking straight from the tap is healthy, and character building.

Anyway, NYC has the cleanest and most delicious tap water in the world.

And hence ... yummy bagels.

Baton Rouge has great water. Least magnesium anywhere in the U.S. Mineral Content of Drinking Water, 100 USA Cities It comes from an aquifer.

New Orleans water blows. It comes from the river.

This was a direct vote by the residents of the city. Do you not believe that people should be allowed to government themselves? Its their fucking city, they don't want bottled water sold there. You want to sell bottled water go somewhere else.

To me it seems silly to ban bottled water. It's a bit more palatable if its the people voting to do it instead of government caving in to some small radical environmental group or something like that, but I dislike bans of perfectly good, harmless stuff too.

Did you ever consider that the city probably runs the trash and recycling service and probably thinks it can save on costs for these services if bottled water is not sold? Do you not think its OK for a city to take cost cutting measures such as this? You'd prefer they go ahead and sell water, pay their money to dispose of the bottles, all so that when you happen to show up in their town, you can buy bottled water?

Baton Rouge has great water. Least magnesium anywhere in the U.S. Mineral Content of Drinking Water, 100 USA Cities It comes from an aquifer.

New Orleans water blows. It comes from the river.

Just the opposite here. When we were getting water from the aquifer, it was perfectly potable water but it did have a taste. Bottled water sales were way up. Once we started getting water from the river, a whole lot more of are really enjoying the very good tasting tap water.

But then the Mississippi is a very large, very long river through a lot of flat farm country. Here, the Rio Grande isn't far from the snow fields that feed it.

Concord, MA to be First U.S. Town to Ban Bottled Water : TreeHugger

Think its a smart move personally. Don't know why people can't just buy sport drink containers and fill them with water. Brita water filters are like $10 for 3 months of use and they clean the water way better than crappy bottled water which is really just tap water.

I've been using the same Poland Spring bottle now for about three years. Our refrigerator has a filtered water tap in the door and I just keep refilling. Tastes just as good and I'll be damned if I'll spend a buck-and-a-half for a bottle of water.

When I was growing up we drank water at home or from a drinking fountain. People, you will survive without having a water bottle with you 24/7.

Forum List

Back