conch fritters

strollingbones

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2008
chicken farm
first i did tenderize them with buttermilk overnight...then i began to chop them up.....i finally got grumpy to do that...and after all that chopping and frying..they flat out sucked....still tough as hell....any conch fans? i am trying to figure out what i did wrong....

It's got to be fresh, never frozen

Yep, Tank's right. If you get frozen conch, you will end up with little bits of rubber when you finish cooking it.

I recommend checking out some of the Food Network recepies before you try again.

BTW, if you ever get to Key West, you GOTTA go to the Sunset Festival and get conch fritters from the little kiosk that is by where they hold the festival. BEST fritters I've ever had. Also, try their conch salad. It's to die for.

well that is solved..previously frozen

Wouldn't give up quite yet. Fresh is hard to come by. I've made lots of fritters with scallops, crabmeat, squid and okra but never conch tho' I've eaten plenty and none could I say were entirely tender.

If you're game to try it again - whack that conch within an inch of its life with the business end of a meat mallet - then a rough chop in a food processor. It's the flavor you're after anyway.

You know, I know that certain kinds of acids (vinegar, citric acid) can actually tenderize meat that they are marinated with. Do you guys think that a good citrus or vinegar based marinade before cooking the conch would work to make it tender?

You know, I know that certain kinds of acids (vinegar, citric acid) can actually tenderize meat that they are marinated with. Do you guys think that a good citrus or vinegar based marinade before cooking the conch would work to make it tender?

I use a Mandarin orange and lime marinade on scallops before searing them in sesame oil (served over shredded romaine lettuce with a side of roasted small potatoes and tomatoes).

They have never been chewy.
Don't know if it works for conch .. But the citrus works on scallops.

Forum List

Back