Concerned about the uninformed voters of America

clesnie

Rookie
Nov 3, 2011
Hello fellow USMB member! I don't know about you, but I'm less concerned with our differences in political ideals than I am with people who are paying ABSOLUTELY NO ATTENTION AT ALL (i.e. those who literally haven't watched the news all week, month, or year). Yes, these people exist (I know some of them personally) and they represent an unfortunately huge percentage of American voters. Do you really want people deciding who should be president based on which candidate tweeted the most?! Yeah, me neither.

:eusa_eh:

Hello fellow USMB member! I don't know about you, but I'm less concerned with our differences in political ideals than I am with people who are paying ABSOLUTELY NO ATTENTION AT ALL (i.e. those who literally haven't watched the news all week, month, or year). Yes, these people exist (I know some of them personally) and they represent an unfortunately huge percentage of American voters. Do you really want people deciding who should be president based on which candidate tweeted the most?! Yeah, me neither.

Sorry, I don't "watch" the news, I READ it - didn't know that made me uniformed.

if you where informed you would realize elections are controlled frauds and at this point civil disobedience is the only vote that counts

Clesnie, lots of people aren't used to thinking about politics without a break between elections. It's a full year before we go to the polls. The first primary is yet to be held; ours here in Indiana won't be until May 8, 2012. Voters begin to think about their own primaries when a few of the others are in play.

I personally, never lose interest in who the potential candidates might be, and it sounds like you may be like that too but most people get plenty of politics by election time and want a break until at least the year of the election.

"Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich by promising to protect each from the other." Oscar Ameringer

OnTheIssues.org - Candidates on the Issues

"In the political turnover in the United States in the autumn of 1994, as previously indicated, those opposing aid to the poor in its several forms won their stunning victory with the support of less than one quarter all eligible voters, fewer than half of whom had gone to the polls. The popular and media response was that those who had prevailed represented the view and voice of the public. Had there been a full turnout at the election, both the result and the reaction would have been decidedly different. The sense of social responsibility for the poor would have been greatly enhanced." John Kenneth Galbraith 'The Good Society'

In the mid fifties, "generosity was voted the most conspicuous American characteristic, followed by friendliness, understanding, piety, love of freedom, and progressivism. The American faults listed were petty: shallowness, egotism, extravagance, preoccupation with money, and selfishness." William Manchester in "The Glory and the Dream" quoting George Gallup's Institute of public opinion.

"A final word on politics. As in economics nothing is certain save the certainty that there will be firm prediction by those who do not know. It is possible that in some election, near or far, a presidential candidate will emerge in the United States determined to draw into the campaign those not now impelled to vote. Conceivably those so attracted - those who are not threatened by higher taxes and who are encouraged by the vision of a new governing community committed to the rescue of the cities and the impacted underclass - could outnumber those lost because of the resulting invasion of contentment. If this happens the effort would succeed." John Kenneth Galbraith 'The Culture of Contentment'

"Americans may have elected a Republican president and Congress, but they are unlikely to go back to a world in which one illness can devastate their last years or one storm can destroy their lives. Because government is the one institution that allows us some control over our future, conservatism, which distrusts government so much, is best viewed as a natural counter to liberalism, which, if left unchecked, tends towards wasteful bureaucracy. Indeed, as the Bush administration fully proves, conservatism remains a force of opposition even when it purports to be a governance party. And so the best that can be hoped for is that American voters will do for conservatives what they are unable to do themselves: to vote them out of office." "Why Conservatives Can't Govern" by Alan Wolfe

Those avoiding the political noise are probably the most mentally healthy people in the USA.

The more we pay attention to the propaganda machine, the sicker of heart most of us become.

Kill you TVs.

Read some books.

LEARN something new.

Sorry, I don't "watch" the news, I READ it - didn't know that made me uniformed.
I stand as uninformed as OohPooPahDoo, I don't watch news either.

What's the difference? In any election you'll find it's the politician who is the best liar that gets elected.

My best friend is a completely politically uninformed individual. I shit on him all the time for it, but thankfully he doesn't vote. Yeah, I'd want him to vote, but with his level of naivety in US and Global politics... he'd probably best just not voting.

My best friend is a completely politically uninformed individual. I shit on him all the time for it, but thankfully he doesn't vote. Yeah, I'd want him to vote, but with his level of naivety in US and Global politics... he'd probably best just not voting.

Ever thought that perhaps he's the wise one on the basis that he refuses to be fooled by the lies ALL politicians spin in their efforts to gain personal power?

Ever thought that perhaps he's the wise one on the basis that he refuses to be fooled by the lies ALL politicians spin in their efforts to gain personal power?

Maybe if that's why he actually didn't vote or get involved in politics I might respect that, but it's not. It's more about not knowing that politicians lie(though I'm sure he knows that) than it is refusing to be lied to by them. He just doesn't seem to care about the world around him.

Maybe if that's why he actually didn't vote or get involved in politics I might respect that, but it's not. It's more about not knowing that politicians lie(though I'm sure he knows that) than it is refusing to be lied to by them. He just doesn't seem to care about the world around him.

Hmmm. Sounds like he has the qualifications to BECOME a politician! :razz:

I'm worried about the MISinformed voters.

That would be...ah...pretty much all of us.

The American voters are fed more shit than the flies at an outhouse

Forum List

Back