Conceding an argument?

To some people, accepting that their argument has been bested, or admit they are just wrong, wrecks their carefully constructed "world." People on political mesage boards are especially susceptable to that since they are expressing their ideals and most base their lives and decisions on their idealism.

How shrill they get just depends on how much of their argument is based on emotion and how much is based on fact.

If we were all the same and open-minded and willing to accept that we may be wrong we would probably all get along and the political divide in this country wouldn't be what it is.

Excellent points. And I guess I can see why I'm different. I don't base my life or decisions on any particular philosophical ideal. I'm a selfish prick and almost always base my decisions on what's best for me. That affords me a kind of freedom to discuss ideas and ideals without being emotionally, intellectually, or in any way wedded to them. :D

To some people, accepting that their argument has been bested, or admit they are just wrong, wrecks their carefully constructed "world." People on political mesage boards are especially susceptable to that since they are expressing their ideals and most base their lives and decisions on their idealism.

How shrill they get just depends on how much of their argument is based on emotion and how much is based on fact.

If we were all the same and open-minded and willing to accept that we may be wrong we would probably all get along and the political divide in this country wouldn't be what it is.

I agree with all of what you said but the "shrill part". Sometimes, on a message board, people are not arguing with their emotion but rather are just being trolls.

In the real world, when face to face with someone, ones body language gives that away. On this format we cant tell if they are being serious or just saying stuff to piss people off.

I agree with all of what you said but the "shrill part". Sometimes, on a message board, people are not arguing with their emotion but rather are just being trolls.

In the real world, when face to face with someone, ones body language gives that away. On this format we cant tell if they are being serious or just saying stuff to piss people off.

Are certainly are a troll expert, arent ya? don't you have a palestine and israel forum to patrol, bitch?

I think Gunny nailed it. I also think there's sort of a catch-22 when you realize you've been out-debated.

On the one hand, you can concede defeat, but you're essentially admiting that your original position had holes in it. On the other hand, you can deny defeat, clinging to your original position in spite of the new evidence. This can get you characterized as an idealogical crazy who can't stand to reason.

Neither appeal to me all that much, so I try not to get out-debated. :cool:

Excellent points. And I guess I can see why I'm different. I don't base my life or decisions on any particular philosophical ideal. I'm a selfish prick and almost always base my decisions on what's best for me. That affords me a kind of freedom to discuss ideas and ideals without being emotionally, intellectually, or in any way wedded to them. :D

That in itself is a philosophical ideal.

You would think the easiest ones to argue would be the ones you don't care about, but such is not always the case. Invariably, someone is going to presume a position for you -- just not agreeing with some means you an extremists 180 degrees opposite of them -- and you spend your time trying to explain to the brick you are arguing with that no, you really don't support one thing because you disagree with another.

I play devils advocate for entertainment as do many others, I usually state my true beliefs somewhere down the line though they are often ignored or misconstrued, either way I don't care.As far as I am concerned if you can argue for either side and hold your own, you are worth your salt, as soon as you choose a side you cannot begin to uphold by any standard, you are undone.

I play devils advocate for entertainment as do many others, I usually state my true beliefs somewhere down the line though they are often ignored or misconstrued, either way I don't care.As far as I am concerned if you can argue for either side and hold your own, you are worth your salt, as soon as you choose a side you cannot begin to uphold by any standard, you are undone.

You've actually stated a belief somewhere?:shock:

Forum List

Back