Concealed carry: what are my options?

I heartily on shopping around. Years ago I bought a 9 mm Ruger--simple and rugged but too big to carry and conceal especially in warm weather. Looking for something smaller to carry as we speak.

Try out the Keltec PF9. This is my summertime CCW. Very lightweight and thin. It kicks like a mule though.

20108-1.jpg

Check out this NAA .22 lr mini....it might be next door to useless but better than nothing.

Yes, thats a bic lighter.

6707722.jpg

7089235.jpg

$225​

Only took me six years, but I finally "pulled the trigger" on an NAA Mini Revolver purchase.

Got the .22 WMR 1&5/8 inch barrel with the folding grip holster for $239. Haven't had an opportunity to shoot it yet, but when I do, I'll post it in the Range Report thread.

NAA.png

I am a native Houstonian so I appreciate living in 100+ degree temps and 100% humidity. I lived on Guam and the climate was better than Houston. The most important attribute in a carry pistol, for me, is slimness. I too love Sigs and have them, just not for carry. Walther manufactures fine pistols too and the Walther PPS in 9mm is, I think, an excellent choice it is fairly light, slim, reliable and very high quality. By the way I got smart and moved as soon as I could.

Okay so I live in Texas, where you can get a concealed carry permit. I'm familiar with shotguns, but I've never owned a pistol. I'm researching several different guns (probably a glock or a sig?), and hopefully I'll get to try out a few different guns at a range before I buy. That's what I've been told to do, anyhow. Any suggestions? I'd rather not have anything smaller than 9mm.

My bigger question though is: how do you conceal, when the weather is too hot to wear a sports coat? Jeans and a t-shirt, or dockers and a golf shirt, is the only thing you can comfortably wear for 8 months out of the year in Houston.

Do I need to find a gun I can carry in my pocket? I've seen these holsters you wear inside your pants, but they seem kind of wacky, I mean what do you do if you're at a gas station during a stickup--start unbuckling your pants to get to your gun? Ha ha.

I'm not buying the whole "come on, it's not going to happen" argument--my neighbor's family has had no less than three incidents in the past few years where a concealed gun saved the day, plus a cowoker used his to scare off a couple of burglars without firing a shot.

Thoughts?

Sig P229

H&K USP Compact

Sig Sauer - Pro Model ( About $400 dollar handgun )

Any of these handguns in 9mm or 40 caliber could do the job.

The Sig Pro series are about $375.00 to $450.00 - new. Depending if you get one off of the internet, or a dealer.

The H&K USP is a strong built German handgun, I had one. One of the few handguns on the earth that you can repeatedly shoot +P ammo through. Even though it is a compact handgun with less than a 4" barrel - it will hit center mass on a target at 60 and 70 yards. H&Ks are expensive - about $900.00 for the gun, but they are rugged - dependable, and they sling lead very-very accurately.

The Sig Sauer P229 will more than likely fit your hand like a glove - I picked one up a long time ago and love the feel of a 229. As soon as I sell my P226, I plan on getting one. P229s are built well, and will shoot +P ammo, but a steady diet of the higher pressure cartridges is not recommended. Swiss made, it is accurate like a Swiss watch. The US Secret Service - Federal Air Marshals - Homeland Security - Customs and Border Patrol and a few other agencies carry the P229.

My recommendations for a carry gun = Semi Auto & capable of being accurate out to 50 yards. You can do the subcompact .380 - the 5 shot 38 special and a few others, but if you have multiple threats ( like a gang for example ) - a moving vehicle or motorcycle...you need firepower and ammo....hence a semi-auto. My primary gun now, I can hit the center of a silhouette at 70 yards.

9mm is great for long distance shooting and shoots relatively flat. Use the 115 grain or 124 grain bullet - but a 115 grain is the best...especially with its +P ballistics is near the .357 magnum. Stay away from the 147 grain bullet......it is subsonic and drops like a rock. Subsonic bullets are most generally only good for shooting firearms equipped with silencers.

40 caliber is great for when energy is needed ( engine blocks...timing chains...water jackets....radiators.....oil & water coolers ) and is excellent for anti-barrier ( Walls - barriers - car doors...ect )

The 135 grain .40 gives you velocity, and the 180 grain .40 caliber bullet is great for energy.

They make a holster ( Galls.com ) that fits a tactical flashlight and one extra magazine. So, your compact handgun on the strong side of your body, and on the weak side you have a flashlight for dark buildings and low light situations + one extra magazine.

Speer Ammo - Ballistics Tables

Shadow 355

Last edited:
Try out a lot of pistols before buying any. Buy whatever you feel most comfortable with AND can produce a decent grouping when firing five quick shots or a full magazine worth. Shot placement is far more important than big caliber. A well placed .22 shot will do more damage than a .45 shot that misses the target.

The previous comment regarding knowing when you should shoot a human and having the balls to do it is spot on. Shooting targets and tin cans is not the same.

I've had many pistols through my adult life (so far)...I've given away most of them...settled now on a Glock 42 (.380), a Glock 27 (.40), a S&W M&P.40 and a Taurus The Judge (.45 Long Colt and .410). They all shoot well.

The Glock 42 is small enough to carry in the front pocket of my loose fitting khaki pants without a holster. Since I'm not planning to get into a quick-draw situation, there's no round in the chamber.

I have holsters for all but the Taurus (which I also sometimes carry in the front pocket) and I use them when I can justify a jacket or when I'm going somewhere that I know people won't be afraid of my open carry.

By the way, in my state, open carry is legal without any license.

My last bit of advice...learn to use both hands. Your accuracy will be maximized...especially with the short barrel pistols. I once had a Henry Mare's Leg .45cal lever action pistol. (Looks just like their rifles, but is classified as a pistol) I could easily shoot it accurately at 30 yards with one hand because the barrel was a little over 13 inches long and it was a heavy dude. There was hardly any uplift. A 3" barrel will teach you to aim a bit lower than you intend to hit. Firing a short barrel gun with one hand may cause your shots to be several feet over the bulls eye depending on the distance to the target. However, for close quarter shooting (I define that as 6 feet or less), you can hardly miss the perp if you practice at all. Go for the guts...maybe you'll hit the chest, neck or head. Either way, he'll bleed or die.

One more thing...shoot twice!

Damn! I just noticed how old this thread is! I bet the OP has already bought a pistol or two!

I have to deal with what I have. I can't go out and buy anything fancy.

My S&W Airweight .38 is a belly gun. Can't hit a thing even at ten feet.

My Glock 19 is just too bulky and heavy.

So I need to find a holster for the S&W 6904. It's a compromise but one with which I must deal.

I had an Airweight .38 several years ago. They are truly light weight, but with a short barrel, being light is not good. Even with two hands, it's hard to keep the barrel down when the powder goes off. I really miss the Henry Mare's Leg....but I did give it to my son. It's in good hands.

Forum List

Back