Concealed carry: what are my options?

BaronVonBigmeat

Sep 20, 2005
Okay so I live in Texas, where you can get a concealed carry permit. I'm familiar with shotguns, but I've never owned a pistol. I'm researching several different guns (probably a glock or a sig?), and hopefully I'll get to try out a few different guns at a range before I buy. That's what I've been told to do, anyhow. Any suggestions? I'd rather not have anything smaller than 9mm.

My bigger question though is: how do you conceal, when the weather is too hot to wear a sports coat? Jeans and a t-shirt, or dockers and a golf shirt, is the only thing you can comfortably wear for 8 months out of the year in Houston.

Do I need to find a gun I can carry in my pocket? I've seen these holsters you wear inside your pants, but they seem kind of wacky, I mean what do you do if you're at a gas station during a stickup--start unbuckling your pants to get to your gun? Ha ha.

I'm not buying the whole "come on, it's not going to happen" argument--my neighbor's family has had no less than three incidents in the past few years where a concealed gun saved the day, plus a cowoker used his to scare off a couple of burglars without firing a shot.

Thoughts?

9mm is more than enough. I like the military style the Marine Corps has, they use Berretas, but Taurus makes one just like it.

DO NOT buy a cheap gun. I mean one made by a minor gun manufacturer. Get several magazines and remember the metal spring will wear down if you keep the magazine loaded all the time. Then you will not get ammo feed and your weapon will jam.

Not sure what to tell you about clothing.

You can buy pants with concealed pockets, they're branded Tac wear or something similar. I have a pair but I don't own a personal firearm so I don't know if it's practical to carry a handgun in them.

Found the website - Tac Wear: Introduces Cordura Base Layer

If you visit you should know the Flash intro is noisy, just in case someone around you is easily startled.

At times I carry a S&W 908 / 9mm and use Federal Hyra Shok loads. That is more than enough gun. There are also some really nice compact .40 cal. or .45 cal out there. I like the 908 it has been a solid firearm, shoots well and the recoil for me is next to nothing. It carries tucked away really easily.

If you are uncomfortable with a semi auto then a small snub nose .38 +P revolver is a solid personal protection choise or you can check out the smaller .357 8 round revolver, S&W make a couple nice models.

I carry a .38 derringer as a backup.

Okay so I live in Texas, where you can get a concealed carry permit. I'm familiar with shotguns, but I've never owned a pistol. I'm researching several different guns (probably a glock or a sig?), and hopefully I'll get to try out a few different guns at a range before I buy. That's what I've been told to do, anyhow. Any suggestions? I'd rather not have anything smaller than 9mm.

My bigger question though is: how do you conceal, when the weather is too hot to wear a sports coat? Jeans and a t-shirt, or dockers and a golf shirt, is the only thing you can comfortably wear for 8 months out of the year in Houston.

Do I need to find a gun I can carry in my pocket? I've seen these holsters you wear inside your pants, but they seem kind of wacky, I mean what do you do if you're at a gas station during a stickup--start unbuckling your pants to get to your gun? Ha ha.

I'm not buying the whole "come on, it's not going to happen" argument--my neighbor's family has had no less than three incidents in the past few years where a concealed gun saved the day, plus a cowoker used his to scare off a couple of burglars without firing a shot.

Thoughts?

Definitely try out as many different handguns as you can before you buy one.

What you carry is dictated by how you dress. The way you are talking about dressing I would suggest a Walther PPK/S .380 as the largest you go. You are not going to conceal a full-size handgun wearing jeans and a t-shirt.

Based on the jeans and t-shirt, I would suggest an ankle holster with an AMT Backup .380. If you wear baggy jeans and t-shirts, you could go with an in-the-pants holster (it clips to your waistband/belt) so you don't have to strip to draw.

Don't know if you are into it, but a fanny pack is a good place to conceal a small auto. They also make a wallet that conceals a derringer.

It also depends on how you are built. I carry a Walther PPK in an in-the-pants holster in the small of my back. But I have a small waist and large back and chest so a baggy shirt conceals it nicely.

Definitely try out as many different handguns as you can before you buy one.

What you carry is dictated by how you dress. The way you are talking about dressing I would suggest a Walther PPK/S .380 as the largest you go. You are not going to conceal a full-size handgun wearing jeans and a t-shirt.

Based on the jeans and t-shirt, I would suggest an ankle holster with an AMT Backup .380. If you wear baggy jeans and t-shirts, you could go with an in-the-pants holster (it clips to your waistband/belt) so you don't have to strip to draw.

Don't know if you are into it, but a fanny pack is a good place to conceal a small auto. They also make a wallet that conceals a derringer.

It also depends on how you are built. I carry a Walther PPK in an in-the-pants holster in the small of my back. But I have a small waist and large back and chest so a baggy shirt conceals it nicely.

I heartily on shopping around. Years ago I bought a 9 mm Ruger--simple and rugged but too big to carry and conceal especially in warm weather. Looking for something smaller to carry as we speak.

First go to the range and figure out what you like before worrying how to dress. A small frame weapon with a bore of .40 or more is going to recoil the hell out of your hand and elbow if you have to snap shoot. Check out the .380 using appropriate ammo.

Then go to the range and practice, practice, practice. Work your way up to a competent El Presidente course.

Finally, ALWAYS keep a shotgun in the home and car for defensive purposes. If you are using a handgun for self defense then your enemy is already danger close.

I heartily on shopping around. Years ago I bought a 9 mm Ruger--simple and rugged but too big to carry and conceal especially in warm weather. Looking for something smaller to carry as we speak.

As I stated previously, and PEGWINN did after your post, a .380 is a good carry gun. I happen to prefer the Walther PPK/S, but it IS a bit pricey for a medium-frame handgun.

There are plenty of relatively inexpensive .380s on the market.

Thoughts?

A four inch DAO pistol (Glock 19 or 22, S&W M&P40 or 9, Springfield XD) is easily concealed in the type of clothing you wear. I carried in Alabama in the weather conditions wearing the same clothing. Inside the waistband holsters have to be used, but you can carry a serious caliber comfortably. Also, check out the Walther PPS, it is as thin as the PPK, but chambered in 9MM and .40 S&W. Personally, I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry, because personal defense begins with the numbers 4 and 5.

A four inch DAO pistol (Glock 19 or 22, S&W M&P40 or 9, Springfield XD) is easily concealed in the type of clothing you wear. I carried in Alabama in the weather conditions wearing the same clothing. Inside the waistband holsters have to be used, but you can carry a serious caliber comfortably. Also, check out the Walther PPS, it is as thin as the PPK, but chambered in 9MM and .40 S&W. Personally, I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry, because personal defense begins with the numbers 4 and 5.

That's under-the-seat weaponry. I keep a S&W Model 4506 and two spare mags there.

Personal defense begins with hitting your target and a .380 will drop you just as dead as .45 provided you hit what you're aiming at. I prefer .45 ACPs however, I do not like the compact ones. I will carry a full-size .45 before I will a compact one. They just don't feel right to me.

Thoughts?

m y dad he dont like holster.he carry the gun i n stor o f the jackan, the pocket.h e have
speciial make for this.

Last edited:

Thoughts?

I really like this guys videos and agree with his "anything is better than nothing" philosophy:

[youtube]6gIHDHZf1TA&feature=channel_page[/youtube]

Get a smaller firearm to carry on those warmer days.

Check out my http://www.usmessageboard.com/curre...out-buying-your-first-handgun.html#post960485 thread.

That's under-the-seat weaponry. I keep a S&W Model 4506 and two spare mags there.

Personal defense begins with hitting your target and a .380 will drop you just as dead as .45 provided you hit what you're aiming at. I prefer .45 ACPs however, I do not like the compact ones. I will carry a full-size .45 before I will a compact one. They just don't feel right to me.

No need to put anything under the seat. I keep it on my hip. If I'm wearing pants, I have a weapon.

Gunny is correct on carry to your dress code and make sure your very comfortable. I rarely ever carry a full frame gun. Also many new gun buyers get sucked into a caliber myth. They believe that a large caliber is going to provide better protection.

I am a tee shirt and shorts guy. Even on one of the bikess. Now I'm a big guy so even then I can get away with carrying a small frame 9mm, but, I often opt for my North American Arms .22 mag. and I feel very safe with it.

The Walther .380 for me is a wonderful gun to carry. And Glock makes a really nice compact .357

Gunny is correct, go to the local range and they will let you shoot an assortment of guns. Get their advice, speak to them about clothing, life style and so on. Let those with years of experience help you! I feel that I am very competent with a gun, but, I seek advice all the time. When at the range I can learn something from just about everyone there.

Semmerling LM4: a classic case of too innovative too soon | American Handgunner | Find Articles at BNET

The LM4 is about the same size as a High Standard derringer. Overall length was a scant 5.2" long with 3.45" of that barrel, a remarkable feat allowing the .45 to achieve full muzzle velocity and very little flash. The gun was only slightly higher than a stack of five .45s, coming in at 3.7" tall. A Semmerling is very thin as well, at less than 1" thick. Take off the grips and add the "thin kit" and you're down to .85". That's a 5.2" x 3.7" x .85" package, making the LM4 an inch smaller than a Walther PPK, or about the size of a TPH! In a world being offered the Seecamp .380, the Semmerling was a "gorilla gun" at only 1" longer.

$images.jpeg

And to add another variable to the mix:

Are you prepared to kill someone? I know that it sounds academic on this forum, but you'd be surprised at the number of trained folks who froze at the wrong moment. There is no point in being armed unless you have done the soul searching required to actually place rounds on a living target and flatline the EKG.

Finally, you mentioned being familiar with shotguns. Remember to keep two, one in the car and one in the house. Load the house gun first round with birdshot so it won't penetrate walls and endanger your kids or grands. The second round is slug or shot as you can then aim in and kill your opponent.

Never, ever, ever, give a verbal warning or fire warning shots. Your enemy has already announced his intentions. You must be prepared to put him down like a rabid dog.

I know this is off your original question. Sorry bout that.

I took my CCW qualification today and learned a few things I didn't know.

For example, in Missouri you can legally carry a loaded handgun concealed under the seat or in the glovebox of your vehicle without being CCW qualified.

Forum List

Back