COMPUTER problem. strange scanning pop-up

sarahgop

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2009
i was on the comp yesterday and all of a sudden a pop up appeared. it said there was adware and spyware taking over the comp and windows is doing an immediate scan. it looked really odd so i clicked out of it and cancelled it. i then did a virus scan and found no viruses and then i went to windows defender and scanned the comp from that and it said the comp was clean. what was that first pop up about?

i was on the comp yesterday and all of a sudden a pop up appeared. it said there was adware and spyware taking over the comp and windows is doing an immediate scan. it looked really odd so i clicked out of it and cancelled it. i then did a virus scan and found no viruses and then i went to windows defender and scanned the comp from that and it said the comp was clean. what was that first pop up about?

it was spam trying to get you to buy a product.

thanks. it looked like windows but i thought it was odd.

thanks. it looked like windows but i thought it was odd.

If you have FireFox make certain the popup blocker is on and that won't happen anymore, IE has one to from 6 and on. If that is on and it still happens then you will need a script blocker as well (some scripts can bypass the popup blockers). If you are on XP there are a ton of those ads, do NOT install anything from them, close it like you did (best to use the 'X' at the top of the window to do this).

Run Spybot - Search & Destroy©®:

The home of Spybot-S&D!

Never click on any SPYWARE ALERT - FREE SCANNING popups like that unless you want to get an .EXE installed in your PC and get redirected to a sales website for fake software. THose can put a bug on your pc, too that could be bad.
Keep your Firewall and your AntiVirus filter active while your pc is on. And keep close by a religious relic of your choice. I've found that having 2 dried chicken feet tied with a lock of hair to 3 small conch shells soaking in a glass of Red Stripe beer protects me at all times.

Never click on any SPYWARE ALERT - FREE SCANNING popups like that unless you want to get an .EXE installed in your PC and get redirected to a sales website for fake software. THose can put a bug on your pc, too that could be bad.
Keep your Firewall and your AntiVirus filter active while your pc is on. And keep close by a religious relic of your choice. I've found that having 2 dried chicken feet tied with a lock of hair to 3 small conch shells soaking in a glass of Red Stripe beer protects me at all times.

What if you only have 2 conch shells, cuz you accidentally swallowed one while you were drinking the beer? :eusa_pray:

where is the pop up blocker located?

If you're using Internet Explorer, just click Tools/Internet Option/Privacy. You'll see a check box to turn it on. However, this will most likely be a band-aid solution because the spyware will probably still be on your computer. You really should run an anti-spyware program like the one I mentioned. You need to be careful not to remove 'good' programs. You'll get plenty of warnings when you run the program, so this shouldn't be a problem.

What if you only have 2 conch shells, cuz you accidentally swallowed one while you were drinking the beer? :eusa_pray:
I don't drink from that glass. Tastes bad, and Zombies will visit at night.

i use internet explorer. something else is on my comp today. a program called "veiwpoint media player" was installed today. should i uninstall it?

i use internet explorer. something else is on my comp today. a program called "veiwpoint media player" was installed today. should i uninstall it?

Hmm ... not being up on the newest media players for Windoze I would venture uninstall and run virus scan just to be safe, especially if you didn't opt to have it installed yourself.

Be very careful I lost a computer to a really nasty virus that looked like an update from Microsoft.

Forum List

Back