Computer freezes for 15 seconds every time I type in new url

Discussion in 'Computers' started by PoliticalChic, Jun 3, 2009.

1. PoliticalChic

PoliticalChic Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +25,063
    It doesn't happen all the time, but just enough to make it annoying. As long as I'm on one website I'm fine. But as soon as I type in a new web address in the URL box, it freezes for about 15 seconds before taking me there. Can I do anything to fix this?

2. KittenKoder

KittenKoder Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,714
    Try clearing your file cache on your browser (in the preferences) and setting the "disk usage" lower. Also, make note of if the site you are going to has Java or Flash applets, they can slow things down.

3. PoliticalChic

PoliticalChic Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +25,063
    KK, I'm not good with computers, can you tell me step-by-step how to do these things? I have trouble finding the right tabs. Thank you.

4. Diuretic

Diuretic Permanently confused

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,397
    PC your browser will allow you to empty the cache. You may have a tab or something with the word "tools" or similar on the toolbar. Click it and you should be able to find an option to empty the cache or clear private data or similar. If you can nominate your browser then another poster may be able to give you specific advice on where to look for it and what to do.

5. jgbkab

jgbkab Relieved

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +127
    For IE, click tools or "alt" + t, click delete browsing history, the click delete all. You can also delete the different sections individually.

Firefox, click tools ot "alt" + t, clear private data, check necessary boxes, the clear private data now.

6. KittenKoder

KittenKoder Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,714
    Sorry for the late reply. I don't know if it's the same for IE anymore, but in Firefox it's now in Preferences, the main tab called "Advanced", then the smaller tab called "Network". Offline storage is what you need to look at. Click "Clear Now" and decrease how much space is allowed (to prevent it from happening in the future), half of what it's set for. In IE I think it's under it's own tab but I don't remember.

7. WillowTree

WillowTree Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,769
    PC do you run a router??? I noticed my computer slowing down over the weekend,, and was running pretty smooth this morning.. my husband spied no less than three people sitting out in their backyards sucking up my signal.. So you can go to your router site.. Linksys is mine and block people from leeching off your signal..

8. strollingbones

strollingbones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,971
    go to start...accessories...system tools....do a disk compression and delete all that shit...it will find it and ask you if you want to delete it...just say yes...then do a defragmentation....its under the system tools....

start, programs, accessories, system tools, do the disk clean up and the defrag...see if that helps....

9. WillowTree

WillowTree Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,769
    CC cleaner is great too..

10. jgbkab

jgbkab Relieved

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +127
    You should start with your router and modem first. Reset both. That should clear up your problems Willow. Plus, internet bandwidth is sometimes slower during peak hours like when people are not at work or asleep.