Compulsory service bill H.R. 5741 is now in debate

I am fidning this very hard to believe.

Why has it not been reported on any news, including Fox?

Can we get our Mao jackets in a nice pin stripe?

$Sui.jpg

Will this do?:lol::lol::lol:

Heh. Another blog post from the "Examiner."

It's not "up for debate" in the full House. It's in subcommittee. Like it lingers every time Rangle brings it up for the last 9 years.

They said that about the health care also.see what happened there.
No. They didn't say that about the HC Bill.

Fergoshsakes man.

It was the focus of the whole two years pre-election. What a strange thing to say.

I heard it all along "it wont pass".
Yeah. Some folks who were blocking it said that, some folks who were frustrated about it all too - there were hayhhuggge fights about it, but there was tremendous momentum. Even McCain planned on some sort of HC bill. It was the prime topic of the campaign.

You can't even begin to compare.

Last edited:
This is a whole lot of nothing.

Rangel has been doing this for years now, it started in 2003, he did it again in 2004, 2006, and 2007. It has never come close to passing, and Rangel knows it never will. It stems from the Afghan/Iraq wars, he introduces the bill to make a point.

Congressman Rangel Reintroduces Bill To Reinstate Military Draft | Congressman Charles B. Rangel: Serving New York's 15th District

"What troubles me most about the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan is the total indifference to the suffering and loss of life among our brave young soldiers on the battlefield," Congressman Rangel said. "The reason is that so few families have a stake in the war which is being fought by other people's children.

"The test for Congress, particularly for those members who support the war, is to require all who enjoy the benefits of our democracy to contribute to the defense of the country. All of America's children should share the risk of being placed in harm's way.

"In other words, if you support the war, you should support a compulsory military draft," Congressman Rangel said.

I would not worry too much about this bill, first of all the bills sponsor has a bit more to worry about than this. The other thing is while the Govt. can compel people into the Military through the Selective Service Act. it's a bit of a stretch to compel someone into national service that is unrelated to defense " other purposes" as they might run into a few problems with the 13th Amendment.

Rangel has been doing this for years now, it started in 2003, he did it again in 2004, 2006, and 2007. It has never come close to passing, and Rangel knows it never will. It stems from the Afghan/Iraq wars, he introduces the bill to make a point.

Congressman Rangel Reintroduces Bill To Reinstate Military Draft | Congressman Charles B. Rangel: Serving New York's 15th District

"What troubles me most about the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan is the total indifference to the suffering and loss of life among our brave young soldiers on the battlefield," Congressman Rangel said. "The reason is that so few families have a stake in the war which is being fought by other people's children.

"The test for Congress, particularly for those members who support the war, is to require all who enjoy the benefits of our democracy to contribute to the defense of the country. All of America's children should share the risk of being placed in harm's way.

"In other words, if you support the war, you should support a compulsory military draft," Congressman Rangel said.

That's typical Obama, things that couldn't get done before will now.

I'm surprised so few people know this.

He won't even vote for it himself. He does it, as you said to make a point.

...and the scaredy cat idiots who like to read hyperbolic blogs and conspiracy websites then take their marching orders and start making "The Scream" faces.

Would be interesting though, as a supporter of compulsory Military service, I would have called his political bluff on this and co-sponsored the bill with him. I see nothing wrong whatsoever with having a young person serve in the Military for 2 years that does not choose to go to college.

No. They didn't say that about the HC Bill.

Fergoshsakes man.

It was the focus of the whole two years pre-election. What a strange thing to say.

Obama also campaigned on National Service, he wanted a "civilian" force that equaled the military.

That is correct.

This bill is absurd, but I can see them paring it down to a choice for all HS grads...
1) 2 years public service
2) 2 years military service

with the payback being a college education....and very well may tie into the "student loan" takeover that I believe was tossed into the healthcare bill.

I will say one thing......a 24 year old college grad with 2 years military discipline is a lot more ready for the real world than a 22 year old college grad with nothing but 4 years of freedom and a degree to work with.

Forum List

Back