Compromise reach for Big 3 Loans

JimH52

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2007
US
Video - CNBC.com

It sounds like Congress is ready to provide short term bridge loans to the Auto companies to keep them afloat in the near future. Anything beyond that will probably have to wait for Obama.

I didn't expect otherwise, it's all been for show! :lol: but they still can't force us to buy those shitty cars.

I have been buying Chevys for years and I will continue to buy them. Maybe I have just gotten lucky but if you maintain them they way the manual says, you can get 200,000 easy out of them. I have two Chevy's in my driveway, one with 102,000 and the other with 147,000. I expect to keep both of them for well over 200,000 miles.

But Detroit has put junk out there in years past, when there was no options. Now there is, and they are paying for it. Remember the Vega, the Pinto, and the K car?

That's all we need: more cars...

http://www.autonews.com/article/20081124/ANA06/811240338/1197

16apr7s.jpg

-

Last edited:
I can't say it will always be the case, since I am becoming more frugal as I age, but I have always bought American cars. Call me stupid if you wish, but that has been the case.

I am hoping that through this process, the Big 3 will have the screws put to them, they will begin to put out more fuel economical and better built cars on the road.

GM, for one, needs to get rid of some of the luggage they placed around their neck during their buying spree in the late 90s. Saab and Hummer need to go. Buick and Pointiac should be placed on the shelf or sold. Chevy and GMC trucks are bacially the same with a different price. GM cannot afford duplication of effort in the future.

I can't say it will always be the case, since I am becoming more frugal as I age, but I have always bought American cars. Call me stupid if you wish, but that has been the case.

I am hoping that through this process, the Big 3 will have the screws put to them, they will begin to put out more fuel economical and better built cars on the road.

GM, for one, needs to get rid of some of the luggage they placed around their neck during their buying spree in the late 90s. Saab and Hummer need to go. Buick and Pointiac should be placed on the shelf or sold. Chevy and GMC trucks are bacially the same with a different price. GM cannot afford duplication of effort in the future.

The Japanese just build a better car----while fuel efficiency is part of it, the quality for the buck is just superior and the market shows it. A large part of Japans success following the war was simply copying American products and doing it cheaper----time for the Americans to start copying some Japanese quality---it sells.

I have been buying Chevys for years and I will continue to buy them. Maybe I have just gotten lucky but if you maintain them they way the manual says, you can get 200,000 easy out of them. I have two Chevy's in my driveway, one with 102,000 and the other with 147,000. I expect to keep both of them for well over 200,000 miles.

But Detroit has put junk out there in years past, when there was no options. Now there is, and they are paying for it. Remember the Vega, the Pinto, and the K car?

I don't argue that you can get that kind of mileage out of American vehicles, but it's all the nickel and diming along the way that ruins it for me.

You don't get fucked around with every 10, 20,000 miles with many of the Japanese cars. With American cars, you're in the shop every year for something. It gets fucking OLD after a while.

If you can perform a lot of the work on your own, then it's not that bad. But shop costs are just ridiculous anymore.

I expect WAY better than that from the last good productive export we have in this country.

Nancy Pelosi does not represent the entire congress. This will still fail - as it should.

In case you didn't notice, Pelosi represents the majority of the House. What she wants, she'll get, come Jan. 20. The only question is, will Obama play ball?

I think Obama is going to do more than just bridge loans. He is convinced that failure in Detroit will be devastating and, of course, there is the Union pressure that I am sure he is feeling. Yup, the Dems have the major flaw that the UAW is looking over their shoulder.

With this much Dem control, you know damn right well the unions are going to get what they want.

My state is a prime example. My governor is in an election year now, and he's not going to get a cabinet spot in the admin. So he's back to full campaign mode, and he's got union dick ALL the way down his throat. The rest of the state be damned. (NJ).

Forum List

Back