Compromise After Compromise Is Just Defeat After Defeat

Dems really want to raise taxes now? If you think a 75 seat loss was a shellacking, just wait and see what happens to Dems in 2012

If Jim Demint filibusters..it won't be Democrats "allowing" the tax cut to sunset..as planned.

The irony is great.

I cant speak for Boehner but if I had to guess, he was responding to the fact that the other side of the aisle continually referred to them as "richest Americans"....
But those Americans are not targeted by the GOP to get the cuts based on their wealth...they were targeted to get those cuts as well based on the theory of supply side economics....

And I, for one, do not think Boehner is worthy of Speaker....but that is another thread for another day.

Is there a better term for the people with the highest 2% of wealth?

These same Republicans who call for a pay cut for federal employees who aren't rich also want a tax cut for the top 2%, incredible BS coming from the right, thats just more proof they favor the rich above all others.
the GOP wants a tax cut for EVERYBODY. It isn't a tax cut anyway. Everyone will be paying the same taxes they do today.
End class warfare now.

Obama doesn't have the stomach for a hard political fight. He prefers to go into a back room and settle for what he can get and then declare victory.

The Republicans have been dragging their feet on this for a year. The public clearly stands behind not giving tax cuts to millionaires. Obama had overwhelming majorities in both the House and Senate. He will not have them next year. And yet, he folded

The House and Senate played it right. They forced the Republicans to vote on a $1million threshold for tax cuts. They should have paid a political price...Obama let them off the hook

Last edited:
Obama doesn't have the stomach for a hard political fight. He prefers to go into a back room and settle for what he can get and then declare victory.

The Republicans have been dragging their feet on this for a year. The public clearly stands behind not giving tax cuts to millionaires. Obama had overwhelming majorities in both the House and Senate. He will not have them next year. And yet, he folded

The House and Senate played it right. They forced the Republicans to vote on a $1million threshold for tax cuts. They should have paid a political price...Obama let them off the hook

Since he had big majorities in COngress why did he "fold"? WHy is he changing his MO now after 2 years of not compromising?

I am NOT happy about this compromise.

However had I been POTUS facing the realization that failing to compromise would immediately throw about 2,000,000 fAmerican families into dire financial straits, I think I'd have probably folded, too.

I am NOT happy about this compromise.

However had I been POTUS facing the realization that failing to compromise would immediately throw about 2,000,000 fAmerican families into dire financial straits, I think I'd have probably folded, too.

It will be interesting to see how Congress votes on this compromise.

We know the Democrats are up in arms and threatening to vote against it. But I doubt if enough Democrats will buck the President to vote it down.

But what about the Republicans? We know they have held a strong front for the last two years with little dissent. Here we have a blatant spending bill that does little but add to the already bulging deficit. Will ANY Republican show that they mean what they said in the last election cycle and vote against this huge deficit increase?

But what about Bipartisanship? Yea i know you're laughing because we all know people only screech for Bipartisanship when they think it's convenient to do so. I've always said Bipartisanship is over-rated. The Democrats caving on this stuff is astounding though. They have all the power and numbers in Congress yet they're gonna vote for the Tax Cut/Unemployment Deal. They claim to be so opposed to it yet they're gonna vote for it anyway. Why is that? They could certainly stop any Legislation they choose to. The Republicans hardly even factor into things. They wont be a factor till January. So why all the whiny bluster about opposing something they're going to vote for in the end? Just looks like Bullshit political theatre to me. If you oppose it then vote against it. It really should be that simple.

No. Not at all. This is Bipartisanship. Both sides got together and hammered out a compromise: they all walked away with something, they all had to give something up.

It's not great - but it's the best possible with two such entrenched partisan sides.

Need to learn how to read a graph?
Unemployment declined post '03 from over 6% to about 4.5%.

You didn't finish reading did you?

It went up - way up post 01....down and then up again post 03, and skyrocketed up - still under the same tax cuts.

Yes, clearly argumentation is not your strong suit.
If the tax cuts passed in '03 then UE would not start declining until AFTER they passed, right? Which is just what happened, about mid-year.

You seem to have overlooked the sharp rise up to, what is it today - still under those same tax cuts? A temporary drop is, just that: temporary.

Hmm, with no extension, the tax cuts lapse and unemployment spikes above 10%.

Yeah that'll be good for Obama Pelosi and Reid to explain again in 2012.

Won't be too good for the Pubs either.

But then, it's evident that they really don't care THAT much about the deficit (tax cuts for the wealthiest 2% will add rather than reduce it) nor do they really care about the unemployed American since they fought against extending unemployment because (insert sarcasm) it would raise the deficit.

We have something like 6.3 million long term unemployed and 9.5 million newly unemployed or those who lost temporary jobs as of November. As of the end of October we had 3.4 million job openings. The Republicans think that the unemployed are just too lazy to look for work. I imagine they have a way of creating some 10 million or so jobs before unemployment runs out that they just haven't told us about yet.

Go figure. The new GoP - all we care about is preserving entrenched wealth and unseating Obama in 2012. Everything else can go to hell :clap2:

The biggest BS out of Obama is his claim that just because he doesn't have the will to fight the Republicans on this right now doesn't mean he will not put up a fight two years from now.

If he won't risk a tax increase now, why would he risk a tax increase with his election on the line?

If the Republicans will force an across the board hike now, they will definetly do it again in two years.

The President bypassing his own Party on this really does say it all about how screwed up the Democratic Party is. He worked directly with the Republicans on this. He skipped the usual suspect loons in his own Party. That really does say it all.

Forum List

Back