Compounding the problem

RetiredGySgt

Diamond Member
May 6, 2007
North Carolina
The search cost a good bit of money, now even though they say it was not a hoax the Sheriff is gonna add court costs to the mix by charging a family that appears to have thought they had a problem with criminal complaint.

Sheriff: Charges will be filed in balloon saga - Yahoo! News

The Sheriff repeats in the story he does not believe it was a hoax but wants to find any and all charges he can level on the family. Go figure. The message is clear. If you have a problem don't call the cops unless you really are sure and if you wait to long they will charge you with something else.

Gunny, with all due respect, blow me.

this was 100% a publicity stunt. Let the experimental baloonist pay his paltry price for that publicity.

I just loved the "important announcement", ak question box, that the experimental baloonist loaded for the press today.

Your tire pops on a state highway inside a national park and the scraping rim starts a fire? You get charged for the fire response.

You catalytic converter fails on an interstate highway and starts a fire(s) in south central Oregon, you get charged for fire response.

You get lost climbing Mt Hood and your family reports you missing, you get charged for the emergency search and rescue.

You have a heart attack at work and your health insurance pays for the ambulance.

You are involved in a head on collision on I-5 and if you survive you pay for the chopper to medivac you to Sacramento.

You mow your lawn at noon in Redding CA and start a fire and you get sentenced to 2 years in jail.

Welcome to the new world of civil responsibility.

You pull some stupid balloon sales stunt with your kid involved and reel in the world press you better expect some blow back.

How much more money will the investigation cost tax payers?

God I hope they don't determine that this was a hoax... I never want to see those loons on TV again.

this was 100% a publicity stunt. Let the experimental baloonist pay his paltry price for that publicity.

I just loved the "important announcement", ak question box, that the experimental baloonist loaded for the press today.

Your tire pops on a state highway inside a national park and the scraping rim starts a fire? You get charged for the fire response.

You catalytic converter fails on an interstate highway and starts a fire(s) in south central Oregon, you get charged for fire response.

You get lost climbing Mt Hood and your family reports you missing, you get charged for the emergency search and rescue.

You have a heart attack at work and your health insurance pays for the ambulance.

You are involved in a head on collision on I-5 and if you survive you pay for the chopper to medivac you to Sacramento.

You mow your lawn at noon in Redding CA and start a fire and you get sentenced to 2 years in jail.

You pull some stupid balloon sales stunt with your kid involved and reel in the world press you better expect some blow back.

Except those are all covered by LAW. These people ACCORDING to the Sheriff, BELIEVED their son was aboard the air thing. He has REPEATED he does not believe it was a hoax.

You want to charge them? Change the law. Falsely charging them with crimes to make up the difference is simply WRONG.

Lets get to the nuts and bolts, shall we? If the child HAD been on the balloon and the parents had NOT called we would be reading about how they were arrested for child neglect, Child endangerment and a host of other charges. Because they called for help now they are being CHARGED with crimes for asking for help.

THAT is what 911 is FOR. If we are going to start charging people that in good faith report or ask for help then we can forget about 911.

People that go hiking and get lost made a decision to go to a place that could happen. THEIR choice. AND they know if they get lost and get rescued they pay.

Further you can equate this with a fire. That is absurd.

If it was not a hoax these people are being hounded for simply doing what the GOVERNMENT tells them to do. CALL 911 in an emergency. What next? Shall we charge everyone that calls in a bugler for the cops time, the gas and the expense of investigating the neighborhood? If your son gets lost shall we charge you for the cost of the search to find him? Why pay taxes for those services if now we will be charged every time we use them?

Except those are all covered by LAW. These people ACCORDING to the Sheriff, BELIEVED their son was aboard the air thing. He has REPEATED he does not believe it was a hoax.

You want to charge them? Change the law. Falsely charging them with crimes to make up the difference is simply WRONG.

Lets get to the nuts and bolts, shall we? If the child HAD been on the balloon and the parents had NOT called we would be reading about how they were arrested for child neglect, Child endangerment and a host of other charges. Because they called for help now they are being CHARGED with crimes for asking for help.

THAT is what 911 is FOR. If we are going to start charging people that in good faith report or ask for help then we can forget about 911.

People that go hiking and get lost made a decision to go to a place that could happen. THEIR choice. AND they know if they get lost and get rescued they pay.

If it was not a hoax these people are being hounded for simply doing what the GOVERNMENT tells them to do. CALL 911 in an emergency. What next? Shall we charge everyone that calls in a bugler for the cops time, the gas and the expense of investigating the neighborhood? If your son gets lost shall we charge you for the cost of the search to find him? Why pay taxes for those services if now we will be charged every time we use them?

Agreed. Isn't that what taxes are supposed to go toward?

was it not their choice to put a huge helium balloon in their yard? the parents knew that the balloon was unboardable..there was no door etc. how can hikers be responsible for getting lost yet these parents are not gonna be held responsible for being stupid? how were they stupid? lets count the ways...first of all they left 3 boys with a tethered helium balloon..2nd they left 3 boys with a tethered helium balloon....why were hot air balloonists able to say right off..that the balloon did not hold anyone..that the balloon could not hold the weight of a child...the parents knew there was no wooden box on the balloon that the child could get into...they knew there was no chance the child fell from the balloon...the child's statement...."we did it for the show" is what has really got the sheriffs office looking into this...people are prosecuted for making false 911 calls all the time. why should these people be exempt from personal responsiblity for their actions and those of their kids?

The search cost a good bit of money, now even though they say it was not a hoax the Sheriff is gonna add court costs to the mix by charging a family that appears to have thought they had a problem with criminal complaint.

The Sheriff repeats in the story he does not believe it was a hoax but wants to find any and all charges he can level on the family. Go figure. The message is clear. If you have a problem don't call the cops unless you really are sure and if you wait to long they will charge you with something else.

That's not what he says. Read it again. The sheriff announced that he was pursuing criminal charges but didn't specify for what. He didn't say it was or wasn't a hoax.

Plus: Alderden said Saturday that deputies were seeking a search warrant for the family's home, and there would be more information at a news conference Sunday.

was it not their choice to put a huge helium balloon in their yard? the parents knew that the balloon was unboardable..there was no door etc. how can hikers be responsible for getting lost yet these parents are not gonna be held responsible for being stupid? how were they stupid? lets count the ways...first of all they left 3 boys with a tethered helium balloon..2nd they left 3 boys with a tethered helium balloon....why were hot air balloonists able to say right off..that the balloon did not hold anyone..that the balloon could not hold the weight of a child...the parents knew there was no wooden box on the balloon that the child could get into...they knew there was no chance the child fell from the balloon...the child's statement...."we did it for the show" is what has really got the sheriffs office looking into this...people are prosecuted for making false 911 calls all the time. why should these people be exempt from personal responsiblity for their actions and those of their kids?

Not bothering to read or think again I see. The Sheriff has REPEATEDLY STATED it was NOT a HOAX, He has stated numerous times INCLUDING THIS TIME he does not believe it was a HOAX. But hey so much easier to make your ignorant comments when you just don't bother to read or know what the hell you are talking about.

That's not what he says. Read it again. The sheriff announced that he was pursuing criminal charges but didn't specify for what. He didn't say it was or wasn't a hoax.

Plus: Alderden said Saturday that deputies were seeking a search warrant for the family's home, and there would be more information at a news conference Sunday.

Ohh look, I can quote from the story too.

Alderden didn't call Thursday's hours-long drama a hoax, but he expressed disappointment that he couldn't level more serious charges in the incident, which sent police and the military scrambling to save young Falcon Heene as millions of worried television viewers watched.

the sheriff prefers not to look the fool...after stating to the nation how the parents were worried and frantic...again my point is...the father knew what the balloon was capable of...he knew there was no wooden box to fall off the balloon...seems he knew things he didnt share with the police...

again why are these people exempt from personal responsiblity?

I'm sorry. If the parents thought their kid was inside that baloon...then they should have their kids removed from that household for having unfit parents who also qualify for Complete Dumbass of the Year!!!

Work-Trophy-Complete-Dumbass_9F86A559.jpg

That baloon was made out of mylar...an extremely thin yet strong material that doesn't allow helium molecules to escape that easily. THEY WOULD HAVE SEEN AN OFF CENTER BULGE IN THE BALOON IF THEIR KID WAS IN THERE.

How stupid does that guy think Americans are? He must be the leader of the libtard dupes.

I hope he gets jail time for pulling a publicity stunt and a hoax.

alg_child_trapped_aircraft.jpg

Last edited:
A few questions that I don't think were asked.
1. What was the purpose of this balloon?
2. You are seen on video as the person who released the balloon on purpose.Why did you release it?
Now that the kid is safe this whole incident comes down to the fact that this jackoff released this contraption on purpose so all the events that followed such as the expense of the police and rescue should be passed on to the family. If this invention had gotten away during a storm let's say then it's something different.

Hell has frozen over, I agree with RGS! Question them but move on what will anyone gain going after them?

gained? perhaps less miss use of the 911 system. anyone who has worked as an emt etc knows how abused the system is.

has anyone added up the cost of this "rescue" ?

You made some great points.

But they didn't call 911, they called the national aviation administration.

And the Sheriff is filing charges because after a second round of questioning is no longer convinced it was not a hoax.

And the fires are actually quite on topic. Who could reasonable expect that simply driving down the interstate would cause 3-4 fires? And how can somebody doing something which reasonably involves no negligence be found responsible for a freak result?

And lastly, watch, the charges filed will be for violating an actual law. There are definitely laws about misrepresenting the facts to law enforcement, which ones will apply, who knows.

Lastly, who leaves a launch ready hot air balloon in their yard unsupervised? That's negligence.

Alderden didn't call Thursday's hours-long drama a hoax, but he expressed disappointment that he couldn't level more serious charges in the incident, which sent police and the military scrambling to save young Falcon Heene as millions of worried television viewers watched.

You're misreading the story. He didn't say it wasn't a hoax, either. Something happened in that interview with the parents yesterday.

[

But they didn't call 911, they called the national aviation administration.
The father called a local news station asking for its helicopter and the FAA. He also called the airport, IIRC. While he was making his calls, the wife called 911.

And the Sheriff is filing charges because after a second round of questioning is no longer convinced it was not a hoax.
Even though he hasn't come out to say that it was a hoax yet, he did say on Friday (?) that a hoax of this nature would be a class 3 misdemeanor, and that is what he indicated yesterday would be the charge (without being specific what the charge would be).

And lastly, watch, the charges filed will be for violating an actual law. There are definitely laws about misrepresenting the facts to law enforcement, which ones will apply, who knows.
Sheriff needs to shut up until they've got their ducks in a row (federal and state).

Lastly, who leaves a launch ready hot air balloon in their yard unsupervised? That's negligence.
I would doubt having a giant helium balloon would be negligent, BUT it makes me wonder if these charges sheriff mentioned might not be related to a hoax but to the device itself. In the 911 call, once the father took over the call from the mom, he explains how the balloon would charge with a million volts for one minute every 5 minutes. Then again, he indicated there could be federal charges too.

sgt simply refuses to believe this can be a hoax...says he wont believe the sheriff....wont believe it unless the family admits it....he is wrong.

You're misreading the story. He didn't say it wasn't a hoax, either. Something happened in that interview with the parents yesterday.
This post is an example of RGS abandoning a thread when proven wrong.

Forum List

Back