Complete this sequence

I don't actually RESPECT the beliefs of others, and frankly, I doubt those of you saying you respect those beliefs of others really do either.

Hopefully you respect their right to believe what they want, but even that is unlikely in many cases.

Very few of us respect those religious beliefs that we find repugnant and our society actually goes seriously out of its way to repress, either.

Rastfarianism for example is openly repressed.

Many forms of satanic worship? Also repressed.

Religions which believe in child abuse, polygomy, throwing virgins into volcanos, all actively repressed.

Do we really respect everyone else's religion?

How much respect did we have for that branch of Islam which was behind the WTC diaster on 9-11.

Religious tolerance is NOT a collective suicide pact, folks.

I don't actually RESPECT the beliefs of others, and frankly, I doubt those of you saying you respect those beliefs of others really do either.

Hopefully you respect their right to believe what they want, but even that is unlikely in many cases.

Very few of us respect those religious beliefs that we find repugnant and our society actually goes seriously out of its way to repress, either.

Rastfarianism for example is openly repressed.

Many forms of satanic worship? Also repressed.

Religions which believe in child abuse, polygomy, throwing virgins into volcanos, all actively repressed.

Do we really respect everyone else's religion?

How much respect did we have for that branch of Islam which was behind the WTC diaster on 9-11.

Religious tolerance is NOT a collective suicide pact, folks.

You are absolutely right. I don't have much respect for religious beliefs of any kind except the irreligious kind. My respect actually applies to my belief that everyone is allowed to believe what they want, just so long as they don't try to impose it on me or subject our government to it's demands.

You are absolutely right. I don't have much respect for religious beliefs of any kind except the irreligious kind. My respect actually applies to my belief that everyone is allowed to believe what they want, just so long as they don't try to impose it on me or subject our government to it's demands.

Impossible to do, although it might be nice.

Look at other cultures and realize that much of what makes them SO different than ours has to do with their religious histories.

There is still untouchables in India, for example, even though legally that is outlawed.

Our society, is basically the outgrowth of the values we collectively brought to it, and even though many of us are no longer religious, most of us still ascribe to some varient of the Judeo-Christian view of what is good and bad.

No, I am NOT saying we are a Christian nation, but I AM saying that the flavor of our society is still basically one with the values of a formerly Christian Europe.

If Jesus had said, take this spliv, it is my spirit, instead of taking bread and wine?

You get my obviously absurd, but nevertheless probably valid point?

Jehovah's Witnesses (Watch Tower) are a totally different religion from Mormonism (Later Day Saints).

Both groups have a unbiblical or unscriptural definition of the nature of Jesus Christ.

Jehovah's Witnesses believe that Jesus was once the Angel Michael, and thus a created being and isn't God in the flesh, incarnate.

Mormons believe that Jesus was the Spirit brother or sibling of Lucifer, and God the father chose Jesus to be the Savior of our world and Lucifer got snubbed and became angered in nature. Joseph Smith Jr. came up with this Jesus/definition.

The Jehovah's Witnesses have their own bible called the New World Translation. It conveniently omits any references in the N.T. to Jesus being God incarnate.

Example, they Buggerd up John 1:1, and changed Jesus from being God to being "a god".

1. "In the beginning was the Word(Christ), and the Word(Christ) was with God, and the Word(Christ) was God." New American Standard Bible -NASB

1. In the beginning was the word(Christ), and the word(Christ) was with God, and the word(Christ) was "a" god.
It's very subtle, but it reveals J.W.'s doctrine, that is totally debunked by theologians. i.e. Jesus= a god. Not, is God.

Well except for that whole part that they accept the King James version of the Bible as well.

And Jesus is the SON of God, the Bible is clear about that. There is no Trinity is one entity. The Bible is clear about that as well.

Impossible to do, although it might be nice.

Look at other cultures and realize that much of what makes them SO different than ours has to do with their religious histories.

There is still untouchables in India, for example, even though legally that is outlawed.

Our society, is basically the outgrowth of the values we collectively brought to it, and even though many of us are no longer religious, most of us still ascribe to some varient of the Judeo-Christian view of what is good and bad.

No, I am NOT saying we are a Christian nation, but I AM saying that the flavor of our society is still basically one with the values of a formerly Christian Europe.

If Jesus had said, take this spliv, it is my spirit, instead of taking bread and wine?

You get my obviously absurd, but nevertheless probably valid point?

Given how deeply entrenched religious beliefs and their remnants are in our culture and in human psychology, I don't think we can reach perfection in the effort to maintain seperation of church and state but I don't think getting closer to that goal is impossible.

The Christian religion has indeed had a strong hold on our country. That is why I am surprised and also not surprised to see such hatred for Muslims, Jews, Hindus, atheists and adherents of other belief systems in this country.
I myself have a particular distrust for the Christian religion but that is not due my thinking it is basically any better or worse than any other religion. They all pretty much seem to look the same the more you study them. Same basic values, same methods of conversion, same problems with fanaticism. My aversion to Christianity arises from the fact that I have been subjected to more oppression and hatred from certain Christians than by members of all other religious groups combined and the reason for that is simply because in this society I happen to be surrounded by them. They are the most powerful religious force in our country. I'm sure I'd be fed up with pushy Buddhists if I lived in Tibet.

Given how deeply entrenched religious beliefs and their remnants are in our culture and in human psychology, I don't think we can reach perfection in the effort to maintain seperation of church and state but I don't think getting closer to that goal is impossible.

The Christian religion has indeed had a strong hold on our country. That is why I am surprised and also not surprised to see such hatred for Muslims, Jews, Hindus, atheists and adherents of other belief systems in this country.
I myself have a particular distrust for the Christian religion but that is not due my thinking it is basically any better or worse than any other religion. They all pretty much seem to look the same the more you study them. Same basic values, same methods of conversion, same problems with fanaticism. My aversion to Christianity arises from the fact that I have been subjected to more oppression and hatred from certain Christians than by members of all other religious groups combined and the reason for that is simply because in this society I happen to be surrounded by them. They are the most powerful religious force in our country. I'm sure I'd be fed up with pushy Buddhists if I lived in Tibet.

People just need to realize that there is right and wrong in religion and there is right and wrong in the law. The law doesn't discriminate, or shouldn't, where religion does. So you have the freedom to practice any religion, just don't let it interfer with my rights. That's why the rule of law should always trump religion.

A thoroughly sensible post, in my opinion.

Although I don't feel put upon by Christians as such, I find much of what annoys me about this society, steeped in the basic tenents of Christian thinking.

OTOH, most of what I ascribe to as being right and good also comes from that same theology, too,

Every philosophical and theological sword can cut both ways, I suspect.

I thought she was saying that your soul is a goodfella that's going to rub you out.

it;s true... my soul is Ray Liota's 9-5 day job.

now, enjoy some good ole fashioned christian Death Metal

[youtube]MBjWwzemnyE[/youtube]

Last edited:
A thoroughly sensible post, in my opinion.

Although I don't feel put upon by Christians as such, I find much of what annoys me about this society, steeped in the basic tenents of Christian thinking.

OTOH, most of what I ascribe to as being right and good also comes from that same theology, too,

Every philosophical and theological sword can cut both ways, I suspect.

Thanks.

My own general notions of right and wrong also resemble those of Christianity and other religions but I don't think of them as having come from Christianity, though I do recognize that even if religion went extinct in my family several generations ago we still have certain traits particular to the religion and culture of some of my ancestors. Instead of crediting religion for inventing morality, I think shared concepts of right and wrong are an expression of human reasoning and communal instincts.

Forum List

Back