Competency / Merit pay or Seniority pay?

Should an organization use merit pay or seniority pay to compensate the employees?

• Competency / Merit based pay

Votes: 7 100.0%
  • Seniority based pay

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

davidten

Rookie
Mar 18, 2009
Guys, i've made a poll here.
What kind of method payment should a company use for paying the employees?
Which kind of method is better according to you?

Any other opinions are welcomed. :eusa_drool:

note:

Seniority pay is payment according to how long have you been working in a particular company. more into loyalty to the company. if you work longer, you will gain higher salary.

Merit pay is payment according to your competency, knowledge or skill in a particular company. if you can maintain a good performance you will gain a higher salary faster and vice versa.

Thanks for the poll. Comments are welcomed anyway.

Last edited:
Base pay based upon position altered over time by: Small raises based upon how long you've been with the company. Other small raises available for doing a good job that can be taken away if your performance goes down.

Why?

To retain and encourage loyalty and competence.

Staying with the firm because of loyalty payments makes sense, I must admit I prefer long service leave as well as incremental payments. Competence is an interesting one though, I agree with it but it would be difficult to devise a scheme to properly measure and reward people for competence I would think - not impossible, just a bit difficult.

Doesn't this question really depend on the specific organization and type of task involved, the employment picture at the time and so forth?

Some tasks are not easily evaluated for merit.

And if there is is no good, better, best test of the task, if there's only done or not done, then those kinds of tasks might warrant seniority pay for example.

People talk about creating a merit pay for educators and I wonder how exactly they'll devise such a system.

Surely the evaluator will be depending largely on his or her subjective opinion about that teacher's proformance, won't they?

Because, let's face it, every class full of kids is rather unique, so what metric will one apply to see if the teacher is serving that class well?

Can you imagine, for example, if MD's were paid on merit?

How could one say, this was an apendendectomy done very well as opposed to one merely done well enough?

Not everything in our world that matters very much to us is really objectively quantifiable, folks.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back