Compassionate conservatism...More BS

Bullypulpit

Jan 7, 2004
Columbus, OH
For about a dollar a day, a two tablet regimen of generically produced anti-retrovirals can be, and are being, used to successfully treat HIV/AIDS around the world. Except by those programs which recieve funds from the US government. Those programs emphasive "abstention", and when drugs are used, no generics are allowed...at a cost several magnitudes of order higher than the generics.

The Administration refuses to join the rest of the world in easing the patent restrictions on anti-AIDS drugs in order to protect profits for the drug companies, and keep the campaign contributions flowing. This in the face of a pandemic, the likes of which has seldom been seen in human history. Profits before people...this should be Dubbyuh's campaign slogan.

One question bully. Who will develop the drug for the next pandemic when there's no R&D money? You? In your spare time?

Bullypulpit said:
For about a dollar a day, a two tablet regimen of generically produced anti-retrovirals can be, and are being, used to successfully treat HIV/AIDS around the world. Except by those programs which recieve funds from the US government. Those programs emphasive "abstention", and when drugs are used, no generics are allowed...at a cost several magnitudes of order higher than the generics.

The Administration refuses to join the rest of the world in easing the patent restrictions on anti-AIDS drugs in order to protect profits for the drug companies, and keep the campaign contributions flowing. This in the face of a pandemic, the likes of which has seldom been seen in human history. Profits before people...this should be Dubbyuh's campaign slogan.

Yeah of course, emphasizing prevention of a 100% preventable disease is a bad idea.

Also, Do you think drug companies are going to spend time developing cures if they cant make back all the money they poured into created the cures?

I can just see the headlines now if the US were to ever give generic drugs to foreign countries:

THE US DOESN'T THINK YOU ARE WORTH NAME BRAND!

THE US CHEATS ITS NEIGHBORS WITH NO FRILLS BRANDS!!

People should just be thankful we are doing anything, spending one single cent, on people outside our country and on something that is completely preventable.

I've had two floods and a fire in my house...ain't no foreigners come to my house to help me! Not one penny was sent via post.

Moi said:
I can just see the headlines now if the US were to ever give generic drugs to foreign countries:

THE US DOESN'T THINK YOU ARE WORTH NAME BRAND!

THE US CHEATS ITS NEIGHBORS WITH NO FRILLS BRANDS!!

People should just be thankful we are doing anything, spending one single cent, on people outside our country and on something that is completely preventable.

I've had two floods and a fire in my house...ain't no foreigners come to my house to help me! Not one penny was sent via post.

Studies by the WHO have shown that the gneric meds are as effective as the non-generics. BTW...Do you live in a flood plain?

rtwngAvngr said:
One question bully. Who will develop the drug for the next pandemic when there's no R&D money? You? In your spare time?

Seeing as how most of the basic research on anti-retrovirals was done by the NIH, they'll be the ones to do the grunt work again.

Bullypulpit said:
Studies by the WHO have shown that the gneric meds are as effective as the non-generics. BTW...Do you live in a flood plain?

Although my examples were somewhat tonge-in-cheek: Since when has the truth ever stopped people from attacking the US??????

Bullypulpit said:
Except by those programs which recieve funds from the US government. Those programs emphasive "abstention",

Considering the 'abstinence' policy is the only one that seems to be actually working, wouldn't it be the compassionate thing to do to spend money preventing people from getting HIV/AIDS as opposed to selling them drugs to help them live with HIV/AIDS?

Adding a new perspective to the ongoing debate over the best way to prevent AIDS in Africa, two British researchers say statistics prove a national emphasis on less casual sex, not more condom use, explains the stunning decline in cases in Uganda.

"Uganda had one of the worst African AIDS epidemics (in the early 1990s), but it reduced HIV by 70 percent," said Low-Beer, an epidemiologist at Cambridge University. The country's progress is "the clearest example of behavior and communication change reducing HIV."

Ugandans also emphasized abstinence and monogamy. The approach seemed to work -- surveys suggest that casual sex dropped by 60 percent between 1989 and 1995.

"They avoided AIDS in the best way they could, by reducing casual sex," Low-Beer said. The decline in casual sex, he contends, led to lower HIV rates. "This turned out to be an African success equivalent to a highly effective vaccine."

The researchers found HIV rates remained high in countries that weren't able to reduce casual sex rates, even if they emphasized condom use.

http://www.healthfinder.gov/news/newsstory.asp?docID=518674

I'll bet there's not one single subject out there, that bully couldn't twist around until he made out America to be the BIG BAD BULLIES. You people on the left can just never get your fill of kicking the shit out of America can you?

Why the fuck don't you just leave??!!

If you want to blame someone, blame Mother Nature for not giving these turd world people the intelligence to cure themselfs.

Big D said:
If you want to blame someone, blame Mother Nature for not giving these turd world people the intelligence to cure themselfs.

Oh THAT was fuckin' gooooood........ :wtf:

Pale Rider said:
I'll bet there's not one single subject out there, that bully couldn't twist around until he made out America to be the BIG BAD BULLIES. You people on the left can just never get your fill of kicking the shit out of America can you?

Why the fuck don't you just leave??!!

Liberals can pin anything on Bush, and they're so experienced at it that the liberal zombies will buy it hook, line, and sinker. If I came out tomorrow and said that Bush was to blame for the fact that my feet are sore, I bet they'd buy into it.

Hobbit said:
Liberals can pin anything on Bush, and they're so experienced at it that the liberal zombies will buy it hook, line, and sinker.

CAN and DO! The World Atomic Clock lost .0000000017th of a second last year. Yeah.... it was President Bush's fault according to the democraps. :tinfoil:

Forum List

Back