Comparing the votes

Silence

wanna lick?
Aug 26, 2008
FL
Let's take a look at how each candidate has voted on some key issues

First let's recognize that both candidates have been on the campaign trail and therefore have not been casting votes as much as other Senators but here are some key points I'd like to point out:

John McCain hasn't cast a vote since 3/14/08

Barack Obama hasn't cast a vote since 7/9/08

Some Bills and how they voted pertaining to the Budget:

Project Vote Smart - HR 6331 - Medicare BillMedicare Bill

McCain NV
Obama Y

Iraq and Afghanistan War Funding, Unemployment Benefits Extension, and GI Bill
Project Vote Smart - Senator Barack Obama on HR 2642 - Iraq and Afghanistan War Funding, Unemployment Benefits Extension, and GI Bill

McCain NV
Obama Y

Intelligence Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2008

Project Vote Smart - Senator John McCain on HR 2082 - Intelligence Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2008

McCain N
Obama NV

GI Bill and Other Domestic Provisions

Project Vote Smart - Senator Barack Obama on S Amdt 4803 - GI Bill and Other Domestic Provisions

McCain NV
Obama Y

Limit on Farm Subsidies
Project Vote Smart - Senator Barack Obama on S Amdt 3695 - Limit on Farm Subsidies

McCain NV
Obama Y

Now another area Civil Liberities/Civil Rights

English as the Common Language
Project Vote Smart - Senator John McCain on S Amdt 1384 - English as the Common Language

McCain N
Obama Y

Expressing Support for All Men and Women in the U.S. Armed Forces
Project Vote Smart - Senator John McCain on S Amdt 2947 - Expressing Support for All Men and Women in the U.S. Armed Forces

McCain N
Obama Y

Family and Children Issues:

Teen Pregnancy Education Amendment
Project Vote Smart - Teen Pregnancy Education Amendment

McCain N
Obama Y

State Children's Health Insurance Program (CHIP) Reauthorization
Project Vote Smart - Senator John McCain on HR 976 - State Children's Health Insurance Program (CHIP) Reauthorization

McCain N
Obama Y

Issues of Defense:

Time Between Troop Deployments
Project Vote Smart - Senator John McCain on S Amdt 2909 - Time Between Troop Deployments

McCain N
Obama Y

Judicial Review of Detainees Amendment
Project Vote Smart - Judicial Review of Detainees Amendment

McCain N
Obama Y

*now this issue was voted on twice in the same session it seems.
Minimum Wage Adjustment Amendment
Project Vote Smart - Minimum Wage Adjustment Amendment increases min wage from $5.15to $7.25 over two years

McCain N
Obama Y

then they voted on this one:

Increasing Minimum Wage Amendment
Project Vote Smart - Increasing Minimum Wage Amendment to increase the min wage from $5.70 to $6.25

McCain Y
Obama N

both amendments rejected

it's an interesting look at how each man feels about certain issues. I recommend everyone go to these sites and do some research. you might be surprised by what you find.

John McCain
http://www.votesmart.org/voting_category.php?can_id=53270

and

Barack Obama
http://www.votesmart.org/voting_category.php?can_id=9490

Last edited:
I'd rep you for this if I could.

Content...not much of it in most posts.

Not much in mine and not in most people's.

And maybe... instead of looking at titles... you can see more of why McCain votes against many things, or stays away from many things, that SOUND good in the title...

I mean c'mon... inside the GI Bill legislation (and you will have to trudge back thru all the revisions and previous texts to find a lot of this stuff) you find nice little earmarks hidden in there that include cultural exchange funds to go to Africa, a vague "Contributions to International Organizations" of 66MIL, `Operating Expenses of the United States Agency for International Development' of ~150MIL, ~150MIl to Jordan, ~330MIL to a vague `Migration and Refugee Assistance', 75MIl for `Global Health and Child Survival', 93MIl for `Operating Expenses of the United States Agency for International Development', all kinds of monies for affirmative action, etc....... the list goes on

It is added pork, it is added crap that should never be in the bill... but no, the pundits and the loonies like to just spout off the title and say "Hey look at who voted against this"... where, as stated before, sometime you are against because of how a bill is funded or what other crap is thrown in there....

DD, that is why I provided the links to them. I did research them but I appreciate you assume I went just by the title :eusa_eh:

my feeling is that sometimes you have to give a little to get a little.

it's called compromise....ie bipartisan....

Yes indeed, I agree with almost every one of those decisions.
McCain has sound judgment, no doubt.

It's called lumping crap into a bill that should not be in there, because you know it would never pass on it's own merits... it is a lot of the reason why we have debt, when this crap is added into a bill and funded when it passes

You know it... I know it....

But I fully support voting against a seemingly popular bill, when this stunt is pulled... and calling it out for what it is and why you did it

Last edited:
I just posted the information...you can make of it whatever you like

McCain voted against American soldiers *more than once*
McCain voted against English as the common language
McCain voted against edcuation to end teen pregnancy
McCain voted against provided child care to children

paint it however you want but those are the facts.

Allie, McCain could vote that hamburger meat should be substituted with dog shit and you'd say that showed sound judgement. You're worthless in terms of actually providing opinion and having a rational debate.

Allie, McCain could vote that hamburger meat should be substituted with dog shit and you'd say that showed sound judgement. You're worthless in terms of actually providing opinion and having a rational debate.

Please, you say that after this post? It's pure rhetoric, spin and jive.

:iagree:

Please, you say that after this post? It's pure rhetoric, spin and jive.

spin? so he didn't vote that way? color me confused Allie!

He DID vote that way you can deny it and try to explain it away all you want but those are indeed the facts.

Forum List

Back