CDZ Comparing the Polls; Why Are Monmouth and Rasmussen so far Apart?

JimBowie1958

Old Fogey
Sep 25, 2011
I think that a comparison of how Rasmussen and Monmouth conduct their polling is illustrative of the complexities of polling, when done honestly, and how expected results can alter the end result.

First, Monmouth has Hillary up by 12, and they have tended to trend Hillary much higher than Trump all summer.

Monmouth University

The Monmouth University Poll was sponsored and conducted by the Monmouth University Polling Institute from October 14 to 16, 2016 with a national random sample of 805 registered voters. Interviews were conducted by a live caller in English, including 400 drawn from a list of registered voters (200 landline / 200 cell phone) and 405 using random digit dial (201 landline / 204 cell phone).

Then we have the Rasmussen methodology

Methodology - Rasmussen Reports™

Data for Rasmussen Reports survey research is collected using an automated polling methodology.

Generally speaking, the automated survey process is identical to that of traditional, operator-assisted research firms such as Gallup, Harris, and Roper. However, automated polling systems use a single, digitally-recorded, voice to conduct the interview while traditional firms rely on phone banks, boiler rooms, and operator-assisted technology.

Here is a huge difference right there. While Monmouth uses a real person to ask the questions that might shame some into not saying they are voting for Trump, more people have an easier time telling an automated voice what they plan to do.

For tracking surveys such as the Rasmussen Reports daily Presidential Tracking Poll, the automated technology ensures that every respondent hears exactly the same question, from the exact same voice, asked with the exact same inflection every single time.

Another huge difference here; how much does the polling caller influence the response when there is a "racist" politically unacceptable candidate involed with one of their supporters? Quite a bit of influence I would think.

All Rasmussen Reports' survey questions are digitally recorded and fed to a calling program that determines question order, branching options, and other factors. Calls are placed to randomly-selected phone numbers through a process that ensures appropriate geographic representation. Typically, calls are placed from 5 pm to 9 pm local time during the week. Saturday calls are made from 11 am to 6 pm local time and Sunday calls from 1 pm to 9 pm local time.

To reach those who have abandoned traditional landline telephones, Rasmussen Reports uses an online survey tool to interview randomly selected participants from a demographically diverse panel.

Another huge difference as not everyone has a landline any more, and using a survey tool like this can mix the numbers of voters without land lines in more evenly.

Rasmussen is also not calling only people who are registered. The Trump supporters who have not yet registered are not on the voting lists likely printed up and distributed from earlier this summer, and are not in Monmouth's lists as a result.

After the surveys are completed, the raw data is processed through a weighting program to ensure that the sample reflects the overall population in terms of age, race, gender, political party, and other factors. The processing step is required because different segments of the population answer the phone in different ways. For example, women answer the phone more than men, older people are home more and answer more than younger people, and rural residents typically answer the phone more frequently than urban residents.

For surveys of all adults, the population targets are determined by census bureau data.

While Monmouth does this as well, they dont give a lot of details about how they do it. "Trust in the Force Luke," right? With Rasmussen they go into the details and they do this job methodically and with a computer process designed to prevent influence by human factors like flawed expectations.

For political surveys, census bureau data provides a starting point and a series of screening questions are used to determine likely voters. The questions involve voting history, interest in the current campaign, and likely voting intentions.

Monmouth uses only registered voters as their criteria for "likely voters", which again ignores all the new voters that Trump is bringing into the system.

In addition to that, Trump voters are less likely to answer polls as they are alienated from the media in general as even FOX News has been going after their guy.

I think Rasmussens numbers are more accurate in this election and they still underestimate Trumps support by a good 5% to 10% due to politically correct shame, irritation.with the media, hiding their voting intentions from those who may over hear them responding to a poll.

If you look at the primaries and how inaccurate the polls were then, you notice that in all but two cases of the ones I gave here, they under estimated Trumps numbers by about 5% to 15% and in one case off by 33%!

Take one example, the NBC/Marist poll that claimed Trump had dropped to a 5% lead in South Carolina. Trump actually came away with a 10% majority. But Marist only uses registered voters in its sampling, so that might well explain the incongruity and their missing trumps margin of victory by 100%.

Clinton with Wide Lead over Trump Nationally | Home of the Marist Poll: Pebbles and Pundits

In a national survey conducted from Monday through Wednesday this week[†], Democrats Hillary Clinton and Tim Kaine, 48%, lead Republicans Donald Trump and Mike Pence, 33%, by 15 points among registered voters in the race for the White House.

This has been a regularly recurring phenomenon all year as polls of registered voters under estimate trumps vote by at least 5%.

I think that the majority of the differences we see in these polls show Trump apparently losing support when he is actually only seeing more of his voters shamed into not responding Truthfully.

So when you see these polls, if you want a more accurate reflection of the likely results, take Trumps percentage and add 5%.

I agree both have issues.

Rasmussen has Trump and Hillary at 30 and McMullin at 29 in Utah. IF ... mind IF that is true, McMullin, who has 54% name recognition, will climb as he becomes more known.

That's why one should look across many polls as opposed to one or two.

538.png

Also

Polls conducted since the first presidential debate last month put Donald Trump on a pace to earn a smaller percentage of the vote than any major-party nominee in at least 20 years.

In matchups that include third-party candidates, Trump is winning, on average, 39.6 percent of the vote compared to 46.2 percent for Hillary Clinton in the dozen national polls using live-telephone interviewers conducted since September 26.​

How low can Trump go in the polls?

Monmouth uses only registered voters as their criteria for "likely voters", which again ignores all the new voters that Trump is bringing into the system.

??? Say what? If Trump, or anyone, brings new voters into the system, those people must necessarily be registered to vote. They cannot be called voters if they are not registered to vote.

Trump voters are less likely to answer polls as they are alienated from the media in general as even FOX News has been going after their guy.

The alienation phenomenon is not unique to individuals who at the polling moment are inclined to prefer Trump. It is something that has been found with regard to anyone whose preferred candidate is, in their mind, disliked by the majority of or many other voters. There is no particular party or candidate that is associated with that respondent behavior.

Off Topic:
Frankly, I think the phenomenon itself, and what motivates individuals to behave as it indicates, is more interesting than is what it portends for how one should construe poll results.

These same polls have been writing Trump off for a long time now; isn't it time to admit they don't know what they're doing or are just posting their own biases for fun and profit? Who, exactly, is at home all day, plus will answer the phones without screening their calls, and then spending time answering polls in the first place? Nobody normal, is the answer; most will blow them off, except those who have axes to grind. Same goes for innernet polls or any other kind of polls. Nate Silver has a blog with his ratings of the various polls out there, for those interested in that sort of anal analysis.

How FiveThirtyEight Calculates Pollster Ratings

I can find five guys who hang out at a diner near my house every morning who have 'predictions' just as accurate, and they don't do surveys or make annoying phone calls or bother with wandering around with clipboards annoying strangers.

Last edited:
The polls that are accurate, are the internal polling that each campaign does.

They need them to be accurate because it directs strategy.

It's very simple to tell who is polling ahead.

They say less.

No, it is not.

GIGO does not change simply because one obtains more garbage.

The focus was on the contrasts between the two approaches, and twenty more polling companies putting out bullshit data does not improve the accuracy of the over all polling industry for the reasons given.

Admit it, you didnt read the OP anyway, roflmao

The polls that are accurate, are the internal polling that each campaign does.

They need them to be accurate because it directs strategy.

It's very simple to tell who is polling ahead.

They say less.

Well it is not that simple, but yes, there are indicators.

One is the veracity and shrillness of the claims and counter claims.

Frankly, I think averaging the results of a group of like polls is a better gauge of what to expect than is relying on the results of any given poll.
I would agree as long as you tossed the top ten percent and lowest ten percent in both directions first.

The RCP right now is shoved way to Hillarys direction by the Monmouth polls, skewering the averages.

The alienation phenomenon is not unique to individuals who at the polling moment are inclined to prefer Trump. It is something that has been found with regard to anyone whose preferred candidate is, in their mind, disliked by the majority of or many other voters. There is no particular party or candidate that is associated with that respondent behavior.

Yeah, normally it is factor out on both sides, but when you have one candidate that is vilified to a great extent the way Trump is or the Brexit supporters, then it is overwhelming in its unbalance and tilts things from the shamed candidate and their supporters. Else how do you explain the consistent 5% under estimation of Trumps vote through the primaries?

Off Topic:
Frankly, I think the phenomenon itself, and what motivates individuals to behave as it indicates, is more interesting than is what it portends for how one should construe poll results.
In what way is it more interesting?

??? Say what? If Trump, or anyone, brings new voters into the system, those people must necessarily be registered to vote. They cannot be called voters if they are not registered to vote.
But not all of them are registered AS WE SPEAK or as the poll is taken. And they most often use old outdated voter lists acquired during the early summer and do not completely reflect the registered voter base at the time of the election.

It was interesting that the Brexit polls showed Brexit losing by 3-4%. Funny.....but it won by 3-4%. :D It is very difficult for pollsters to measure voter intensity.....(i.e. Who's voters will actually show up).

I think Hillary is probably up right now...but generally I am distrustful of the polls and think the race is much closer than the polls are indicating.

No, it is not.

GIGO does not change simply because one obtains more garbage.

The focus was on the contrasts between the two approaches, and twenty more polling companies putting out bullshit data does not improve the accuracy of the over all polling industry for the reasons given.

Admit it, you didnt read the OP anyway, roflmao

Digital polling and online polling are considered less reliable than live-calling polling because you are more likely to get an accurate representation of the population talking to people.

The sample gets more accurate the greater the population, so averaging polls reduces the bias and error in single polls.

Digital polling and online polling are considered less reliable than live-calling polling because you are more likely to get an accurate representation of the population talking to people.

Who considers that to be the case? And do they consider it to be the case in all situations? If a candidate has a high level of media disparagement, being called a racist and a rapist, etc, then you think that a human asking the questions is still without impact?

Obviously in the latter case a human asking these questions over the phone is going to shame a good number of polled people into not giving a true answer. Even a audible response is going to suppress the supporters of the denounced candidate from indicating their support for fear of being overheard.

these polls do not merely reflect the opinion of the individual, but also the tolerance levels of those who live with or near the polled person.

The sample gets more accurate the greater the population, so averaging polls reduces the bias and error in single polls.

That would be true unless the same fundamental flaws exist in 90% of them. In which case it is merely more garbage in, not better data.

It was interesting that the Brexit polls showed Brexit losing by 3-4%. Funny.....but it won by 3-4%. :D It is very difficult for pollsters to measure voter intensity.....(i.e. Who's voters will actually show up).

I think Hillary is probably up right now...but generally I am distrustful of the polls and think the race is much closer than the polls are indicating.

Yeah, but the Reality of this election peeps through in various ways.

For example this recent FOX poll has a whole lot of incongruity in the data.

That poll shows that the top two concerns for voters right now are the economy and terrorism, and they show Trump trailing Clinton by 6%.

And yet the voters trust Trump more than Clinton on the economy by 6% for likely voters and 8% by registered voters.

Voters favor a "completely different kind of leader" for President by 55% to 40%, and yet Trump is behind among them by 6%.

Hillary has admitted that she will consider cuts to Social Security while Trump has said that he wont, and this poll shows Hillary to be favored to handle it by an 8% advantage? What causes that? Are the vast majority of people suddenly over night in favor of making cuts to Social Security benefits? That is bullshit as 90% of Americans depend on Social Security for their retirement plans, in fact about 30% of Americans dont even save for retirement, planning to live entirely off Social Security. This idea that Hillary has the majority on this issue is horse manure.

Trump leads Hillary by 7% among independents and yet Hillary has a 6% edge? Where did that 13% swing to her come from?

In all the polls in general, Trump is doing worse than Mitt Romney in 2012 and yet Trump won the primaries with more votes than any other Republican candidate in history in contested primaries and took way more votes than Romney did. So how is it that Trump's support is consistently behind Romney's 2012 support in these polls?

These things dont add up.

Which is why I think these polls are not being normalized correctly, which is where these organizations take their raw data and "normalize" it to the demographic data that they have from usually the census and registered voter lists.

They are also using the voter turn out from the 2012 election which is going to cause a suppression in the Republican data since Mitt Romney led a disastrous loss. If you keep forcing the Trump data through the Romney prism, you get garbage coming out.

That is why I dont trust the polls at all this year. They have been consistently wrong in regards to Trump all year and their data does not add up today.

Last edited:
Remember the "Unskewed Polls" guy from 2012, who tweaked all polls by creating a pretend world where the # of Republican likely voters is the same # as the # of Democratic likely voters?

This is him:

unskewed-pollster-nate-silver-was-right-and-i-was-wrong.jpg

You all should be very familiar with him by now, as his revolutionary new math has since taken the country by storm, and he has proven himself to be the gold standard in predicting elections. Remember the 2012 result electoral map, which so closely adhered to this guy's radical (and brilliant!) new formula?

Here it is!

unskewed.jpeg

The Whole Romney Ticket Believed in Unskewed Polls?

We all remember how Romney tore a second term away from Obama, and turned states like Oregon, Michigan, Minnesota, PA and Virginia red. All hail Unskewed polls!

What's that? He.....he....he was proven to be an amateurish joke and Obama in fact destroyed Romney by 6 points and decimated him on the electoral map?

2012electoralmapresultsfinal110812.jpg

Oh.

Well then certainly everyone learned their lesson, right?

ACTUARIAL REVIEW: Analysis of Recent Polls Shows Trump Win and Possible Landslide

Whoops. Guess not. LOL @ this thread.

Yeah, normally it is factor out on both sides, but when you have one candidate that is vilified to a great extent the way Trump is or the Brexit supporters, then it is overwhelming in its unbalance and tilts things from the shamed candidate and their supporters. Else how do you explain the consistent 5% under estimation of Trumps vote through the primaries?

Off Topic:
In what way is it more interesting?

Red:
That stance suggests that the quantity of remarks and discussion is, to poll respondents, is more relevant than the central points of what is so frequently said. Now, that may be so for some folks, but I had rather believe that hearing something more often does not in one's mind make it any more so or make one any more despondent over hearing it or with regard to the object of the remarks/poll inquiry.

Purple:
I don't know there is a 5% underestimation of Trump's support among the electorate. I will know after votes have been cast and tallied.

Blue:
It is more interesting in that inquiry into and discovery of human behavior and impetus is more interesting than is how those behaviors and inspirations affect a set of specific political outcomes at a specific point in time. I feel that way because I think humanity itself, not its impacts, is the most interesting thing in our world.

Forum List

Back