Comparing the P-51, P-38, P-47

Comparing the P-51, P-38, P-47 overall

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Another interesting plane was the Do 335. The design allowed it to be propelled by two engines without having a reduced agility like conventional two-engined aircraft. The book that I know it from reads: "When there is something the German engineers can´t be accused of, its conservatism":

800px-Dornier_Pfeil2.jpg

Bottom left: Ar 234

The two 1750 hp resp. 2000 hp engines gave it a maximum speed of 775 km/h* (475 mph), making it the fastest piston aircraft.

* No official data preserved, therefor, the exact maximum speed can differ.

It was fast but had a poor climb record, poor turn rate, But it was fast. But only a handful were made and it never made it to the field. By the time it would have (given that the war went on 6 months more) it wouldn't be the fastest. It would have faced the P-51H at 490 mph.

Another interesting plane was the Do 335. The design allowed it to be propelled by two engines without having a reduced agility like conventional two-engined aircraft. The book that I know it from reads: "When there is something the German engineers can´t be accused of, its conservatism":

800px-Dornier_Pfeil2.jpg

Bottom left: Ar 234

The two 1750 hp resp. 2000 hp engines gave it a maximum speed of 775 km/h* (475 mph), making it the fastest piston aircraft.

* No official data preserved, therefor, the exact maximum speed can differ.

It was fast but had a poor climb record, poor turn rate, But it was fast. But only a handful were made and it never made it to the field. By the time it would have (given that the war went on 6 months more) it wouldn't be the fastest. It would have faced the P-51H at 490 mph.
The post is not meant to bash other planes but to present and discuss an interesting variant of a twin-engined fighter. The Do 335 suffered from teething troubles (caused by the military situation) and was not really fit for duty. However, it had some serious advantage over a conventional design. Those are (some are overlapping):
- Lower air drag
- Less fuel consumption
- Increased efficiency of the engine power
- No yawing moment in case one engine drops out
- Lesser moment of inertia
- Better mobility (long axis)

Special advantages of the Do 335:
- Operational range of 1800 km (P38L: 2100 km)
- Ejector seat

Although the Do 335 did not see service, it went into series production.

It appears that this thread has run it's course. It ends when there is more discussion about other birds and nothing new on the 3 on the list.

I guess since I started this, it's up to me to announce a winner.

I a surprised that the P-47 got only one vote. I think it deserves more than that.

The winner is : the P-51.

Management, please lock this thread so we can go onto other things.

P-47 thunderbolt all day every day. Capable of more than you might think with a talented pilot, and just a great flying and rugged all around aircraft. It isn't the fastest or quickest, yet it performs amazing despite it's bulk. If you are picking the one most likely to get you home or survive the longest the P-47 has better armor and is the one.

Unfortunately there aren't many left, they have been forgotten compared to more prestigious WW2 aircraft despite being a successful workhorse in most theaters during the war.

It appears that this thread has run it's course. It ends when there is more discussion about other birds and nothing new on the 3 on the list.

I guess since I started this, it's up to me to announce a winner.

I a surprised that the P-47 got only one vote. I think it deserves more than that.

The winner is : the P-51.

Management, please lock this thread so we can go onto other things.
Gave the P-47 a vote. It is a really underappreciated aircraft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back