Companies with 50 employees or more now required to have breastfeeding rooms

Wait What? how the hell does that make sense? Who brings their breastfeeding infant to work with them?

it is not for mothers bringing their children to work, but a place for the mother who has returned to work, and who IS PRODUCING for the company, to go to on her break to PUMP her breastmilk out, so that her child at home, has enough breast milk supply to bottle feed the child with....

it simply is a designated area, that women who are breast feeding, can go to on lunch hour or break, to pump their breast milk, in private....

this could be the boss's office while he or she is out to lunch...or the copy room during lunch hour....nothing more.

Breast milk has BEEN PROVEN to give ones child more immunities and protection than formula.

Wait What? how the hell does that make sense? Who brings their breastfeeding infant to work with them?

it is not for mothers bringing their children to work, but a place for the mother who has returned to work, and who IS PRODUCING for the company, to go to on her break to PUMP her breastmilk out, so that her child at home, has enough breast milk supply to bottle feed the child with....

it simply is a designated area, that women who are breast feeding, can go to on lunch hour or break, to pump their breast milk, in private....

this could be the boss's office while he or she is out to lunch...or the copy room during lunch hour....nothing more.

Breast milk has BEEN PROVEN to give ones child more immunities and protection than formula.

I think most employers would acknowledge that it is important to have a productive worker and a healthy child at home. Most would make allowances. This is government telling them they will do this without regard to the specific business and its operations.

I think most employers would acknowledge that it is important to have a productive worker and a healthy child at home. Most would make allowances. This is government telling them they will do this without regard to the specific business and its operations.

i doubt it was done without the consideration of the businesses....but certainly, i can agree that not all businesses with more than 50 employees all have the same circumstances.

I never have had a child, but i can imagine it would be very embarrassing, if i had to ask my male boss, where could i pump my breast milk for my child....

yes, it would have been nice if this did not come to this and was just policy, by these larger companies and the gvt was not involved....i can appreciate that....

i doubt it was done without the consideration of the businesses....but certainly, i can agree that not all businesses with more than 50 employees all have the same circumstances.

I never have had a child, but i can imagine it would be very embarrassing, if i had to ask my male boss, where could i pump my breast milk for my child....

yes, it would have been nice if this did not come to this and was just policy, by these larger companies and the gvt was not involved....i can appreciate that....

You get pretty matter of fact when your a new mom. My first wife had three. I appreciated the breast pump, because it meant I could be a part of feeding during the night and day.

Well that makes way more sense than what I was thinking. I was scratching my head saying "who the hell brings their kids to work often enough that this is an issue".

Hell the companies don't even have to do anything, just designate one stall in the bathroom as a breastpump stall.

My only issue is its not the governments role to mandate the rules of a private company. Most companies who want to keep a good employee would do this on their own, if they dont we have the freedom to find an employer who does. Sorry care thats my small government side kicking in :).

Last edited:
A bathroom stall will not be acceptable. Check out the state laws on the article,
It also said it must be near a refrigerator and a sink. It could be done cheaply for some, but I can see the lawsuits now, if a sue happy new mom finds the accomodation unacceptable. Crystal ball flashing there also.

Well that makes way more sense than what I was thinking. I was scratching my head saying "who the hell brings their kids to work often enough that this is an issue".

Hell the companies don't even have to do anything, just designate one stall in the bathroom as a breastpump stall.

My only issue is its not the governments role to mandate the rules of a private company. Most companies who want to keep a good employee would do this on their own, if they dont we have the freedom to find an employer who does. Sorry care thats my small government side kicking in :).

And there is nothing wrong with that stance...especially for something so small of an issue with citizens, IF an issue at all....

But Government still has had to get involved over the years, with a 40 hour work week, child labor laws, disability regs and the such.....and not all of it has been bad...

Forum List

Back